Home The Lodge

You can't have it both ways SCOTUS

yataheyyatahey Senior MemberPosts: 5,605 Senior Member
If the goper activist Supreme Court justices think corporations are people then they should face the same responsibilities as people.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/27/corporate-personhood-supreme-court-alien-tort-statute_n_1305226.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=1353869,b=facebook
"When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson

Replies

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,773 Senior Member
    SCOUTS? I did see mention of girls selling cookies. Did you mean SCOTUS?
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    SCOUTS? I did see mention of girls selling cookies. Did you mean SCOTUS?

Oops. Haven't had my coffee yet.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    InBeforeEd, eh?
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Actually, they can have it both ways. Scotus seems to be able to do pretty much as they **** well please. Has there EVER been a Supreme Court Justice impeached? Can't think of any off-hand.
    flytrap wrote: »
    Actually, they can have it both ways. Scotus seems to be able to do pretty much as they **** well please. Has there EVER been a Supreme Court Justice impeached? Can't thinkl of any off-hand.

Yes there has. Samuel Chase. But he was acquitted.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Chase
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Cool. Thanks, I'll scope it out.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,243 Senior Member
    flytrap wrote: »
    Actually, they can have it both ways. Scotus seems to be able to do pretty much as they **** well please. Has there EVER been a Supreme Court Justice impeached? Can't thinkl of any off-hand.

The first part is true, but Samuel Chase was impeached and acquitted around 1805.
    "...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    yatahey wrote: »
    If the goper activist Supreme Court justices think corporations are people then they should face the same responsibilities as people.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/27/corporate-personhood-supreme-court-alien-tort-statute_n_1305226.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=1353869,b=facebook

Yat's absolutely correct. Hence, I propose that corporations be granted 5th Amendment rights just like any other person. We can't have it both ways.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,243 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Yat's absolutely correct. Hence, I propose that corporations be granted 5th Amendment rights just like any other person. We can't have it both ways.

Bill Moyers said recently "I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one".
    "...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
    So apparently has half the Democrat Party.
    Appears the Justices aren't all that enamored with the Alien Tort Statute.

Alito: "What business does a case like that [12 Nigerians suing a Dutch firm] have in the courts of the United States?"

Alito goes on to state that the ATS was originated to protect the rights of foreign diplomats living in the U.S.
    Who gives a crap what the statute says, the fact remains corporations want all the benefits of person-hood without the responsibility and liability. Typical entitlement mentality.
    yatahey wrote: »
    Who gives a crap what the statute says...

I guess the Supreme Court.
    I guess the Supreme Court.
    Not all of them.
    I'd bet that ALL of them care about what the statute says. They may just think it says different things.
    This IS the issue:
    the fact remains corporations want all the benefits of person-hood without the responsibility and liability. Typical entitlement mentality.
    I thought the issues was the Supreme Court couldn't have it both ways and the Alien Tort Statue was going to prove it.

Be that as it may, the idea that corporations - made of people - want to be better off shouldn't be shocking - since that's in the nature of people.

The fact remains that artificial personhood doesn't come close to providing all the benefits of natural personhood.
    The fact remains that artificial personhood doesn't come close to providing all the benefits of natural personhood.

Only the ones that have to do with buying power and elections.
    No time like Twilight Zone time.
  • Mr. RightMr. Right Senior Member Posts: 535 Senior Member
    I'm all for corporations getting exactly the same standing as unions. Both get "personhood". Neither do. I could care less, as long as they are treated equally. Ditto for the Koch brothers and Soros. Ditto for PACs and Super PACs.

I do think that lobbyists serve a useful function, but would prefer that they were unable to contribute or direct a single dime to any elected official or candidate.

I'll start believing most of this board when you take a similar stance, not when you only howl when your ox is being gored.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,124 Senior Member
    I tell you what Mr Right when a union kills and tortures people in a foreign country, I will be all for prosecuting them.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member

Why is it that when you say "artificial personhood" I immediately think of Mitt Romney?

bd
    Brian D. wrote: »
    Why is it that when you say "artificial personhood" I immediately think of Mitt Romney?

bd

Why is it when you say artificial personhood, I immediately think of blow up sex dolls? Oh wait, I know.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement