Home The Lodge

Rick Santorum

watching him with Stephie right now

either he's a liar or an idiot

the more he tawkeds the more I lean to the latter

Dear GOP ... the IMA Victim of Liburrls routine is old worn out and lame

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    He's neither a liar nor an idiot. He's just very strident, has a somewhat dour outlook on life, and has trouble coming across as positive and upbeat. Even if he could sell social conservatism generally, he's a poor salesman for it. America is not going to elect someone who comes across as so angry and dark and constantly talking about America's future as some kind of liberal dystopia.

He's a hard worker, he's sincere, and he won't pander. But he also won't win.
    I enjoyed the part where he talked about vomitting after reading Kennedy's speech and then proceeded to talk about it completely out of context and misrepresent it

how much do you think he actually vomitted or was it just a vurp?
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    I think the odds of a Christie or Jebbie dark horse is going up exponentially.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,464 Senior Member
    Please God, please make them nominate Ricky. Pretty, pretty special super please.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    I'll watch it now for as long as I can stand it. He makes me vomit.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
    well for once this morning George Will tore into the GOP and predicted that if things continue as they are then we'll all be saying, 'Four more years'
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,490 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Please God, please make them nominate Ricky. Pretty, pretty special super please.

I really do not get this sentiment. Say they nominate this idiot (sorry Sherb but he is anti-intellectual and not terribly interested in fact based reasoning, so idiot it is.) and there is an economic catastrophe similar to 2008, he can win. Like I said, I am registering Republican and voting Romney. I think it is too dangerous to risk having this man be the most powerful in the free world.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    sherb wrote: »
    He's neither a liar nor an idiot. He's just very strident, has a somewhat dour outlook on life, and has trouble coming across as positive and upbeat. Even if he could sell social conservatism generally, he's a poor salesman for it. America is not going to elect someone who comes across as so angry and dark and constantly talking about America's future as some kind of liberal dystopia.

He's a hard worker, he's sincere, and he won't pander. But he also won't win.

I actually agree with much of this and this, "He's a hard worker, he's sincere, and he won't pander." is something I actually admire in the guy. But he has been saying that the reason why Obama wants to help people go to college is so they will become intellectual elitist liberals. Now if he sincerely believes that, he is not too terribly bright. If he doesn't, well then I have to defer to Monkey.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • P.DieterP.Dieter Super Moderator Posts: 968 Senior Member
    George Will was possessed today. Possessed by reason.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 3,090 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    'Four more years'

That's pretty much a given.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    I really do not get this sentiment. Say they nominate this idiot (sorry Sherb but he is anti-intellectual and not terribly interested in fact based reasoning, so idiot it is.) and there is an economic catastrophe similar to 2008, he can win. Like I said, I am registering Republican and voting Romney. I think it is too dangerous to risk having this man be the most powerful in the free world.

Santorum heading the ticket will just about guarantee another term for Obama, and probably would lead to GOP losses in Congressional races. As a Democrat I am in favor of this, Republicans are not. There have been Presidential years when the tables were turned (remember Messrs. McGovern and Dukakis?) but this year seems to the Republican party's turn to commit seppuku, as it was in 1964.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    I don't think you can underestimate the stupidity of the American electorate.
    Will has been on an anti GOP candidate kick for a while. I'm surprised it took you guys this long to see it. He says some variation of "they all suck" every week, and has since before the Iowa caucus.
    Will has been on an anti GOP candidate kick for a while. I'm surprised it took you guys this long to see it. He says some variation of "they all suck" every week, and has since before the Iowa caucus.

Every once in a while Will is as astute about politics as he is about baseball. ;)
    Anyway, back to Santorum. I stand by my earlier assertion: Angry, really angry. . .but not stupid.

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/campaigning-against-the-modern-world/
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,905 Senior Member
    Anyway, back to Santorum. I stand by my earlier assertion: Angry, really angry. . .but not stupid.

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/campaigning-against-the-modern-world/

I wouldn't call him stupid either, maybe a bit ignorant,.......
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

So then you think that Obama is educating Americans to turn them into elitist liberals?

If not, then is he ignorant of dishonest in that statement?

Add hypocritical and we agree. Part of his lying and hypocrisy may well stem from a Jesuitical reactionary and "the ends justify the means" frame of mind.

OTOH it is difficult to reconcile his support of "tort reform" at the same time his wife had filed a half million dollar malpractice suit. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/02/santorum-and-the-chiropractor-lawsuit/
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member

I would agree with the angry, really angry part and from my viewpoint I don't believe he is stupid, ignorant perhaps but not stupid.

I have to ask though, how can someone who has a desire for everyone who can, go to college be a snob? I was raised to believe that it very desirable to achieve the most one can and that included college, does that make me a snob too? or my parents wished that my sister and I both attend college, they're snobs too?

If that isn't a stupid comment, I don't know what is. I don't see it riling up his base, I don't see it helping his cause at all. I see it as a desperate attempt at an attack on an opponent and a really stupid one at that.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

So then you think that Obama is educating Americans to turn them into elitist liberals?

If not, then is he ignorant of dishonest in that statement?

You mind linking this comment? I'd like to read it for myself.
    Pandering = Santorum.
    If that isn't a stupid comment, I don't know what is. I don't see it riling up his base, I don't see it helping his cause at all. I see it as a desperate attempt at an attack on an opponent and a really stupid one at that.

I'll read the comment once its linked, but I don't pay much attention to every word that is said during a campaign. Doing so is an unreliable guide to what a candidate thinks. You think you're smart enough to stand in front of a camera 24-7 and always be on-message every day for a full year? I don't think I am. I have a hard enough time talking to the press about mundane matters when I have time to think about what I'm going to say.
    Ricky is counting on blue collar frustration and anger at elites, that was the point of "Obama is a snob". Give him credit for knowing his demographics - he is sponsoring a NASCAR driver.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/73292.html
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,905 Senior Member
    The #1 thing when talking to the media is caution. I don't think Santorum cares about caution, at least from what I keep hearing him say. He simply doesn't care. He has is viewpoint and he's not going to change it.

GWB was an effete snob.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    You think you're smart enough to stand in front of a camera 24-7 and always be on-message every day for a full year? I don't think I am.

Oh god no, I couldn't do it either. I simply don't have that kind of narcissism, whether I'm smart enough to do it isn't really my point. On the other hand, something like the desire for everyone to go to college as snobbery wouldn't even enter my line of thought.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

That whole speech about " A different theology not based on the bible" was definitely pandering.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,313 Senior Member
    People confuse an emotional straitjacket for stupidity. Rick S. isn't stupid. He refuses to think logically because he so emotionally wrapped up in some kind of hangup about sex and promiscuity and guys who....well. He, like all the rest, is also an egotist who craves attention and power. So he tries to defend his hung up views and ends up sounding like an idiot. He wouldn't have got this far if he was stupid.
    creekguy wrote: »
    People confuse an emotional straitjacket for stupidity. Rick S. isn't stupid. He refuses to think logically because he so emotionally wrapped up in some kind of hangup about sex and promiscuity and guys who....well. He, like all the rest, is also an egotist who craves attention and power. So he tries to defend his hung up views and ends up sounding like an idiot. He wouldn't have got this far if he was stupid.

I would agree and I think that's why he looks the way he does when he says some of the really whacky stuff. He's maybe not really believing in it himself or he's so drop dead sure of it he's not about to retreat. (I'd lean more to the point that he really believes it himself.) He understands that the turn out to the caucuses that have gotten him here so far have been very light and dominated by far right tea party folks but I don't think he understands that the people he needs to appeal to are moderate Republicans especially women and his stance on abortion and contraception is going to cause him to loose those voters.
    You mind linking this comment? I'd like to read it for myself.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjbJOSwq3A[/video]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement