Home The Lodge

Went ice fishing for the first time

Hit some local ice with two of my buddies. One ice fishes all the time so had plenty of stuff for us to borrow.

It was a blast. It helped that the weather was perfect, maybe even too warm. I still don't have the proper cold weather gear so I had to improvise. Since the ice was going to have some slush I just used my waders and normal fishing boots. It worked well and my feet stayed warm enough.

The fishing was good. Didn't keep an accurate account, but I know I landed at least 6, with most in the 15-17" range. And since I was late getting to the party I know my friends caught more than I did. We all 3 caught one each that were 20".

It was a great first ice experience and I hope to do it again.

Replies

• How long a trench did you have to cut to cast that fly rod?
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Dude what time is it? What? June?

securedownload.jpg
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • greenman wrote: »
    How long a trench did you have to cut to cast that fly rod?

For once not being able to cast far really paid off. :p
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Let me be the first to say that I am glad you enjoyed your time in the ice hole.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,402 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    For once not being able to cast far really paid off. :p
    I can't cast far either, but I don't think I'll take up ice fishing. I don't think I can make the fly land in that little hole.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I went ice fishing once- alcohol was involved- that's all I remember..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    ricinus wrote: »
    I went ice fishing once- alcohol was involved- that's all I remember..

Mike
    Isn't alcohol a prerequisite for ice fishing? What sober person wanders on to the ice to make hole for fishing?
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Here when the ice is thick enough you can drives your vehicle out on the ice. This is a big deal cause most Minnesotans are now so fat they can't walk more than a mile.
  • FishTX wrote: »
    Isn't alcohol a prerequisite for ice fishing? What sober person wanders on to the ice to make hole for fishing?

Hard to believe, but not a drop amongst the 3 of us. The guy with all the gear is who I fish with a lot. He hardly ever drinks and never when he is fishing, not that he minds if I do. But actually fishing with him I hardly ever do now until the day is over. He is kind of crazy; I think he dreams about his indicators being hit on a nightly basis. It is funny because of the 3 he is still single and has no kids, so we kind of live vicariously through him since he gets out far more than us.

Actually come to think of it I didn't see anyone drinking and there were about 6-8 groups fairly close to us. But then again we were off the ice by 2 since they both had to run by work for a bit...suckers.
  • Oh and just to clarify, yes, I am the devil. We did use bait! Oh the humanity. We used a jig with a meal worm on it. Worked great.

All fish were released (matter of fact the first one I hooked into had been caught by Scott earlier. The fish had a bit of a growth/mark of some sort on the very back of his jaw. When I got him in they were all excited and were sure that Scott had him earlier).
  • Sounds like you caught the fish equivalent of BrianDs mom.
    You can't be the devil if the fish were released.

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,260 Senior Member
    Mandatory for ice fishing...Schnapps or Blackberry Brandy. Without either of them, it's not ice fishing.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    Mandatory for ice fishing...Schnapps or Blackberry Brandy. Without either of them, it's not ice fishing.

I was about to say...
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Don't forget the Butterscotch Ripple.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,260 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    Don't forget the Butterscotch Ripple.

Mike

Mango flavored is a real hit as well.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement