oh the fun of family at christmas

So my dad is dealing with yet another cancer and was scheduled for surgery this morning

In the middle of the anesthesia his heart rate tanked dropping below 20 bpm so they immediately stopped recovered him

I picked him up at 4:45 am this morning and still here running on just a single cup of coffee

Replies

• My best to you and your dad.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    yeah, I'm with greenman. that sucks -- hope things turn for the best.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,780 Senior Member
    My thoughts are with you and your dad.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Hoping things turn around for you and that your Dad has a speedy recovery.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Hope everything works out for the best.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Take care and wish both of you all the best..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,265 Senior Member
    Medical stuff at Christmas is especially scary. I had a little scare myself earlier this week. Nothing worse than not knowing what to do.

I hope everything comes out for you both and you have a great new year.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,811 Senior Member
    Emily and I wish the best for you and your Dad.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• nimrodnimrod Senior Member Posts: 756 Senior Member
    I'll be thinking of you both, Kevin. Hang in there...
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,895 Senior Member
    Prayers for your family.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    What everyone said! Prayers.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,152 Senior Member
    Sorry to read this Kevin. Your father sounds like an interesting man from what you've shared with us over the years. I wish you both peace.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    hoping everything goes well.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • MikeA wrote: »
    Sorry to read this Kevin. Your father sounds like an interesting man from what you've shared with us over the years. I wish you both peace.

What he said.
  • thanks all

dad now has a new pacemaker and is doing fine ... his cancer surgery was postponed for several weeks

this is yet another object lesson of how and why you and only you are your only health advocate

when we arrived for his surgery intake I pulled his charts and started scanning his documents, while technically accurate there were some things I felt were remarkable in his medical history that were only vague in his charts (and this was at Barnes-Jewish which is a very good medical institution) when the anethesia team came in I had what became a detailed discussion about dad's medical history and experiences with drugs in the past ... he has one kidney and diabetes both significant issues with drug metabolism and has had a history of dealing poorly with morphine based drugs

bottomline the anesthesiologist later said in the ICU that he was grateful he had the extensive background because they had proceeded slowly and kept and extra careful eye on him and even then were very close to having to give him CPR

interestingly enough he had gone in for a stress test the week before (at home) and was cleared for surgery even with an abnormally low median heartrate so the Southern Illinois medicos like the ones who glossed over his cancer for over a year strike again

point being ... always make sure someone knows your medical history extensively and never think that something which seems mundane need not be shared with your medical team
  • monkeydoes wrote: »
    point being ... always make sure someone knows your medical history extensively and never think that something which seems mundane need not be shared with your medical team

A+ advice. Glad to here your pop is doing better.
  • when I pulled his charts there was a sudden look from a couple staff members who wanted to know if I were a physician

I smiled and said no but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before ... they laughed and then I told them that while I wasn't a doctor I was trying to prevent them additional work since the previous two drug issues my dad had in the past both resulted in one to two weeks additional time in the hospital
  • Well these days you never can be too careful. When I got my brothers kidney they wrote on his right hand side one with a sharpie... "NO"

I think anything extra you can do is a good idea.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.