Patagonia brings crampons to fly fishing

yataheyyatahey Senior MemberPosts: 5,605 Senior Member
Interesting device that solves the problem of studs in a drift boat.
http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/latest-eblast
"When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson

Replies

• Kinda pricy.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    It's Patagucci. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • ScottPScottP Senior Member Posts: 480 Senior Member
    After 3 knee surgeries, including ACL re-build, I'd at least consider them (as well as studded felt) if I was wading stuff like big, deep, steelhead rivers or jetty hopping in the salt. I've got an old pair of Dan Bailey stream cleats (the slip-on kind with aluminum bars on the bottom) that remind me of these - used them on Rock Creek in MT and they worked pretty well, although I still did a bit of slipping and sliding. I'm currently using studded vibram and it's good enough for what I do, which most would consider pretty tame wading; memories of the surgeries/re-hab have tempered my enthusiasm to get to those hard-to-reach places.
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
  • I've actually wondered about this. I've assumed guides would glue some kind of mat or carpet down where the clients stand. The last time I fished where I got continually in and out of a drift boat was long before the felt bans.
  • TomTom Senior Member Posts: 253 Senior Member
    $200 is an absolute ripoff! The best modular crampons out there for vertical ice climbing, which are much more impressive than these things, cost that much. These things could be made for less than $100, easy. I say stick with korkers. $35 for impressively lugnut studded soles is still the way to go.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    I have to agree. Way too expensive, even for Patagonia. What are the odds that it will be redesigned in a year?
  • jlschumajlschuma Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    I have to say that they stand begin their gear. I have a pair of Patagonia waders and they are great. I have had their boots and I emailed them about the laces not working well. They sent me a new pair of laces and 2 different pairs to see if they were better for me.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    I have the ultimate Patagonia artifact; a coat hanger fashioned from sustainable bamboo with the logo. I still fall on my **** when I fish, but, hey...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.