Another satisfied Simms customer

yataheyyatahey Senior MemberPosts: 5,605 Senior Member
My Simms waders developed a hole right next to the seam tape on the inside right seam and the material appeared to be fraying and showing white thread along the taped edge about 4" long. The left leg showed similar wear in the same location but had yet to leak. The waders are 1 year and 11 days old. I brought the waders to the local fly shop who sent them back to Simms for evaluation. It took Simms less than two weeks and I just picked up a brand new pair of waders.
Good company that Simms. You betcha.
"When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson

Replies

• Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Counterpoint - if I bought a $300+ pair of waders and they started wearing out and leaking in a year from light to moderate use, they'd darn well BETTER replace them! I own a pair of Simms waders myself and I like them a lot, but I'd prefer that they not leak in the first place.

bd
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    $425.00 was what I paid for the pair I got this spring. They are not the cheap ones made in China nor are they the more expensive ones with the zipper. I've dealt with Simms on my waders and had good service with them as well. Their push to ban felt shoes though I think is stupid. They also stopped making a wading boot with Keen which is the best thing I've ever worn. They are ugly as sin but they work really well.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,812 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    Their push to ban felt shoes though I think is stupid.

They've back tracked on that one

http://flyfishing.about.com/b/2011/07/02/simms-going-back-to-felt-soled-wading-boots.htm

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Great after they got Montana and some other states all convinced it was a good idea.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Brian D. wrote: »
    Counterpoint - if I bought a $300+ pair of waders and they started wearing out and leaking in a year from light to moderate use, they'd darn well BETTER replace them! I own a pair of Simms waders myself and I like them a lot, but I'd prefer that they not leak in the first place.

bd

I would prefer they don't leak in the first place too, but, I fished over 150 days last year and about 40 so far this year. Probably put on 30 miles of walking in those waders. The wear was caused by my inner thighs rubbing together as I walked. These are the cheapy Freestone waders (made in China), but the warranty is the same. Simms sent me an email about a month ago asking that I send in the waders in for inspection as they were nearing a year old. Perhaps they had this problem with the Freestones before and wanted more data to add to their research. I fish too much to give them up so I didn't send them back until they sprung the leak.
    I'm rough on my gear so I didn't want to spend $300-$400 on a pair of waders that would be put through the wringer when I could get the same warranty for $200. Me happy long time now.
    yatahey wrote: »
    The wear was caused by my inner thighs rubbing together as I walked.

Well, I feel differently about this then. The Simms warranty should not be responsible for the fact that you are built like Sally Struthers.

bd
    Brian D. wrote: »
    Well, I feel differently about this then. The Simms warranty should not be responsible for the fact that you are built like Sally Struthers.

bd

Fact is my thighs are disproportionately large for my body, but it's not fat. I can crush a casaba melon and shoot the seeds at flying birds with those trunks. That's what happens from years of riding a mt bike up and down these waterfalls we call trails out here.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Weebles wobble but they only wear Simms.
    yatahey wrote: »
    Fact is my thighs are disproportionately large for my body, but it's not fat. I can crush a casaba melon and shoot the seeds at flying birds with those trunks.

I wish March Brown would come back. I think he knew a girl in Thailand who could do something like that.

bd
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,969 Senior Member
    I thought you were going to say that your thighs were disproportinalely small for the size of your fingernails. :p
    I have a new pair of Simms waders I bought last year. Could not wade/fish last year due to my mountain biking accident. I'm sure they are past warranty without a single day's use!
  • swiperswiper Senior Member Posts: 396 Senior Member
    My wife bought me one of those G3 Rain Jackets a couple of years ago from Urban Angler. The bottom of the zipper is starting to pull away. I guess I should send it back for a look.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I thought you were going to say that your thighs were disproportinalely small for the size of your fingernails. :p
    I have a new pair of Simms waders I bought last year. Could not wade/fish last year due to my mountain biking accident. I'm sure they are past warranty without a single day's use!

Not so Shawn. The warranty is good for "the life of the product" which means if it just plain wears out, no warranty, Simms reserves the right to determine whether the item will be repaired or replaced.

Dr. Mike, that zipper is definitely covered. You can go to their website for directions how to return it (which is a pain in the ****) or just take it to a fly shop that sells Simms and they will send it back for you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.