Home The Lodge

Baseball 2011 officially ends

with Tony Larussa leaving the St Louis Cardinals

btw ...

she who shall not be named announced earlier today before this ... ok you can be happy but the World Series Celebrations are 'over', we're back to square one, Larussa sucks and so do the Cardinals

LOL gotta love a Cubs fan

Replies

• ScottPScottP Senior Member Posts: 480 Senior Member
    Going out on top, good for him; glad the whole Game 5 fiasco gets buried now. I'm not a huge LaRussa fan (based a lot on his early years with the White Sox) but the guy can coach 'em up.
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
  • well the good news is that Dave Duncan has one more year on his contract the bad news is his wife has brain cancer

bottomline, without the 'Dunc' the results of Tony's management might have had different results ... just sayin'

got to meet and speak with the Skipper once ... he's a hard to read guy and very non-emotional except when he loses his temper so I can see why people can easily be put off by what they think they know he's thinking or feeling
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Good for Mr. LaRussa. Going out in style is pretty cool. Congrats again to the Cards and their passionate and die-hard fans.
    PS If Albert leaves he is an idiot. If he stays they'll melt down the Gateway Arch and use the metal to make a huge statue of him!
  • if he leaves ... I give John Mozeliak's house 3 1/2 minutes before it bursts into flames

fwiw ... if I had a nickle for everytime over the last 10 years that Albert has said he want's to retire wearing the birds on the bat then even I could afford his salary demands

one interesting aspect that I heard about Albert ... wanting a huge 10 year contract is an interesting demand and all agree that the last 5 years of his contract he won't post the numbers he does now ... in St Louis ... that drop in performance would be tolerated and anywhere else he would be vilified and if he thought it was rough with the press after his walking out after Game 2 then he might want to cross New York or Chicago off his list of next stops in the MLB :-D))

also with TLR's announcement that could possibly open up the option or value added aspect in a contract from the GM's standpoint of adding coaching responsibilities to that tail end of a 10 year agreement ... just sayin'
  • ScottPScottP Senior Member Posts: 480 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »

one interesting aspect that I heard about Albert ... wanting a huge 10 year contract is an interesting demand and all agree that the last 5 years of his contract he won't post the numbers he does now ... in St Louis ... that drop in performance would be tolerated and anywhere else he would be vilified and if he thought it was rough with the press after his walking out after Game 2 then he might want to cross New York or Chicago off his list of next stops in the MLB :-D))

also with TLR's announcement that could possibly open up the option or value added aspect in a contract from the GM's standpoint of adding coaching responsibilities to that tail end of a 10 year agreement ... just sayin'

If Albert's coaching responsibilities would include calling for the hit-and-run, I'd say no thanks
    The only guy who gets a free pass in NY even as his skills decline is Jeter (and deservedly so)
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 44 Member
    1. No way Duncan comes back without LaRussa.
    2. Cards are VERY fortunate that the 2 biggest market drivers, Sox and Yankees, are not in the market. That alone greatly improves St. Louis' odds of resigning Albert.
    3. Craig's emergence may give the front office more confidence that they could compensate for Albert's presence in the lineup by shifting Berkman to 1B and freeing up an OF slot for Craig. I hope not but I can almost see that scenario playing out if Albert refuses to move off of his demand for 10 years v. the 6 years DeWallett offered in spring training.
  • really?

I got the impression from comments this morning that Duncan will be back to finish out his contract next season and that in part was why Tony made the decision now because he felt the residual infrastructure left them sufficiently intact to remain competitive in 2012
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 44 Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    really?

I got the impression from comments this morning that Duncan will be back to finish out his contract next season and that in part was why Tony made the decision now because he felt the residual infrastructure left them sufficiently intact to remain competitive in 2012

I guess I'm not aware of the comments to the contrary. I've always viewed Duncan and LaRussa as a package deal and now that his wife is in ill health, I just don't believe there's any incentive for Duncan to return. I understand that he's under contract but that sort of thing can be massaged to reflect the needs of the parties. I'd be shocked if Dunc didn't walk away with his friend.
  • well I would agree that I think the brain cancer issue with Duncan's wife would be a bigger factor than whether or not Larussa would be there
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Now you can invite Tony over for a drink.
  • he gives you an honest pour

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement