Home The Lodge

Any of you guys serve as your own ski-tech?

Just ordered the boy a new pair of skis. Flat was the only way I could afford them. I've "fiddled" a bit with my own gear, and that of my kids, but this year I need to take it to a new level.

First, an observation. If you suggest, in mixed company, that you are going to adjust your own bindings, you are immediately inundated by people saying variations on "Ohy my god, don't do that, you'll screw it up and end up losing a leg." I often wonder if these people become suddenly blind when they walk into a ski-shop or the rental shop at their local mountain. I mean, come on, that 18-year-old stoner behind the bench working for a lift pass is NOT some highly trained Einstein of the ski industry. He probably had cold pizza, nistant coffee and a bong-hit for breakfast this morning. For lunch he'll spiff it up with a spliff. So please spare me the predictions of doom and gloom, I've been adjusting my own bindings for years, and the worst thing I've ever caused is early release, which PREVENTS physical injury, though it increases injuries to one's pride.

Second, this year I'm taking it up a few nothces. I was going to pull the bindings off my old skis and put them on my son's new skis. Doing some research, pulling technical manuals, I realized that those are the best bindings in my garage. Mos timportantly, they're mounted on Tyrolia Railflex IIs which allow up to 3cm of adjustment without remounting. I've decided I want to play wqith that adjustment on my K2s. So those bindings (Tyrolia LD12s) come off the old Head's, go on the K2's. The Tyrolia SP120s come off the K2s get mounted on the kid's new Atomic Panics.

Here are the questions for any amateur or pro ski-techs in the Lodge (Swizz, you out there?). \

1. Do you know whether the mounting hole pattern is the same for all Tyrolia's? I've got what advertises itself as a "Tyrolia mounting template" (cribbed from the guys at Teton Gravity), but it strikes me as highly unlikely that different models have the same hole pattern.
1.a. Have any of you ever mounted Tyrolia's Railflex system? If so, can the rail itself serve as its own template?
1.b. The bindings coming off my skis and onto my son's are a set of Tyrolia rental bindings. They also have a rail system, designed for easy changes to different boot sizes. Ever mounted these? Same question: wont't the rail serve as its own template?

2. What are the approved methods to fill the holes left by the old bindings? I know I need to do so, if for no other reason than to keep mositure away from the wood cores. Tyrolia sells plastic plugs, but I was just thinking of filing the holes with epoxy, or even an epoxy/sawdust mixture. Do you think my local shop would be willing to sell me a handful of plastic plugs? I know the guys there because they are bike mechanics all summer, and ski techs in winter. But there might be a different reaction to me asking for misc. parts and pieces for skis as opposed to for bikes.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member
    I just realized that my post would not help you in the slightest. Good luck. It shouldn't be too hard I would think.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    I would think that there would be plenty of instruction on the Internet.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    adjusting bindings is one thing ... i.e. ski maintenance <101

mounting a binding is entirely another (from a maintenance standpoint over the longterm)
    Jamespio wrote: »
    the worst thing I've ever caused is early release, which PREVENTS physical injury, though it increases injuries to one's pride.

Brian's mom approves this message.
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    ha ha. you said something about "early release"....

<laughing at the guy across the counter while i work on his skis>
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    First, an observation. If you suggest, in mixed company, that you are going to adjust your own bindings, you are immediately inundated by people saying variations on "Ohy my god, don't do that, you'll screw it up and end up losing a leg."

I hope you respond, "Oh no, don't be silly. There's no reason to worry about me losing a leg. This is for my son."

bd
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    1. Do you know whether the mounting hole pattern is the same for all Tyrolia's? I've got what advertises itself as a "Tyrolia mounting template" (cribbed from the guys at Teton Gravity), but it strikes me as highly unlikely that different models have the same hole pattern.
    1.a. Have any of you ever mounted Tyrolia's Railflex system? If so, can the rail itself serve as its own template?
    1.b. The bindings coming off my skis and onto my son's are a set of Tyrolia rental bindings. They also have a rail system, designed for easy changes to different boot sizes. Ever mounted these? Same question: wont't the rail serve as its own template?

I believe the mounting hole pattern is the Fibonacci sequence. You have to use it to mount the Railflex system, which if you do it wrong, will cause you to go gay. Sure, you could use those rails as a template, but trust me, you'll be singing showtunes and watching Glee in no time.

2. What are the approved methods to fill the holes left by the old bindings?

I suggest a mixture of organic fertilizer, moisture release pellets, and frequent water, and your tomatoes will grow like crazy.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Brian's mom approves this message.

You get extra points for beating me to this. But you missed obvious opportunities in overlooking the references to mounting and plugging holes.

bd
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Do the screw holes in the bindings match the pattern on the template?
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
    yatahey wrote: »
    Do the screw holes in the bindings match the pattern on the template?

No. I dismounted one binding last night. The rail system includes two plates that each mounts to the ski with 4 screws. The bindings mount to the rail, and then rail locks into the plates. So, I'm going to print the template that's available to me, and see if it seems to fit the plates, which will allow me to answer your question.

Another problem. My skis, which were purchased used, are from somebody's rental inventory. These are the bindings I want to remove, replace with the railflex system, and then mount these on my son's skis. The toe binding is attached with four screws, two of which are those damned "security" screws, requiring a torx bit with a hole in the middle. I own a gazillion driver bits, but not one of these: grrrrrrrrr.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    If any of the holes on the new template are very close to, or overlap unevenly, the existing holes on the skis, stop right there. You're screwed.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement