America in decline?

Replies

• I don't think its pollyanish. Yeah, I think we're in bad shape, but so is everybody else. The question is who is best situated for continued growth once it all washes out. The metrics, as they say, are in our favor. Particularly if one controls for the fact that we are already a developed economy.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,912 Senior Member
    Energy self sufficiency in 5 years? Really?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Sherb might think you're a Cassandra, but you strike me as a Desdemona (wink, wink).
    I see myself as an Electra.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I see myself as an Electra.

Ah. Delusions of grandeur.

Maybe, Daisy Dukes.
  • ouzelpro wrote: »
    Sherb might think you're a Cassandra, but you strike me as a Desdemona (wink, wink).

No. Cassandra was right . . .but nobody believed her. Ed B is Cassandra. what?
    sherb wrote: »

At least no one here is pretending to be J. Edgar Hoover. Well, maybe.
  • I see myself as an Electra.

Try Iago.

****, this is high falutin'!
    Steven wrote: »
    Try Iago.

****, this is high falutin'!

Alright that is just mean.
  • TimDTimD Senior Member Posts: 906 Senior Member

Hi Sherb,

I have felt that if the US could get past shale gas' environmental concerns it would have a chance to lessen its dependence on oil imports. Look for LNG stations on the highway and companies making LNG autos. Maybe over 20 to 30 years. Even substituting natural gas for oil heating would be a benefit. The trade deficit is about 720 billion per year - so there is a long way to go but every little bit helps. http://www.usdebtclock.org/

It is faulty logic to say that if China gets expensive companies will move factories to the US - I don't know where the author gets that from. Maybe it was used to sell copy. There are lots of cheaper places than the US to make things. The highest paid factory workers in China maybe get $7 per day (less than a dollar per hour) - it will take a lot of wage increases to make any 1st world wages competitive.
    The trade deficit with China is over 300billion - still got a long way to go there. http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Fertility rate in the US is at or below replacement 2.05. http://www.google.ca/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=sp_dyn_tfrt_in&idim=country:USA&dl=en&hl=en&q=us+fertility+rate This means that growth in you labour force will come from immigrants. Canada's is lower and we encourage immigration.

Any first year journalism student should be able to write that piece - maybe even use some references. As you should know I am cheering for the US - I just think you are going about things in ways that will not lead to a higher standard of living for the average American.

Tim
  • well the fracking of ground water to draw up all this nat gas is a bit step forward in 'clean energy'

think we fight about drinkable usable water now ... (for BD) just wait
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,954 Senior Member

You and Steven are beginning to sound like that half-senile old guy who went around spouting platitudes until he hid behind the wrong curtain. (No terroristic threat implied, sir.)
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Never underestimate the staying power of USA. We have a large land area and a large, talented growing population that gets to do its thing in relative freedom. That's a good mix. Sure, we have serious problems, and yes China and India have large land areas and much bigger populations with a lot of talent. They may surpass us. But, over the long term we will work through our problems. We always have and we always will.

It is an especially beautiful thing that we're going to be alright largely because, as James points out, of factors that are extrinsic to policy set by the federal government. The screaming and yelling in Washington should be viewed through that lens.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,379 Senior Member

Everyone pointed and laughed. I felt bullied. This thread was not a safe space for me

But I was right.

/s/ Cassandra.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/09/investing/us-energy-independence-oil-opec/index.html

The energy thing is very good, would be even better if the EPA were not being emasculated. But far from reaching 61% of U.S. wage levels by 2015, Chinese hourly factory wages rose to $3.60 by 2016.

I do agree though, that reports of our death are somewhat exaggerated. China has grown too much, too quickly and cannot sustain what they have achieved thus far.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2017/03/01/chinese-wages-are-showing-paul-krugman-is-right-once-again/#4e1d85783fea

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,416 Senior Member

Did I participate in this?

Still waiting for the American Spring.

Yes, you are one of many Juliets.

A "juliet" is anyone who deleted their account at any time. That's how all the posts show up. I can generally figure out the ones I wrote. And I can always see which posts Pio wrote, due to spelling errors, typos, and general frienzied serial killer style prose.

I don't recognize anything I would have written.

Do you recognize anything from Pio? At some point, George gave us both simultaneous time-outs.

@Steven said:
    I don't recognize anything I would have written.

Do you recognize anything from Pio? At some point, George gave us both simultaneous time-outs.

I remember giving one to Pio, but not to you.

It was Pio's second, I think, that sent him to different pastures.

But yeah, you gave me one with Pio.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,047 Senior Member

@Steven said:
    It was Pio's second, I think, that sent him to different pastures.

But yeah, you gave me one with Pio.

Wow, a time out with Pio. Not sure if that's a badge of honor or a declaration of stupidity. Haha.

I wear my scars proudly.

@sherb said:

A "juliet" is anyone who deleted their account at any time. That's how all the posts show up. I can generally figure out the ones I wrote. And I can always see which posts Pio wrote, due to spelling errors, typos, and general frienzied serial killer style prose.

Speaking of Pio, is he running for Congress again this year?

Nah. Not this year.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 161 Senior Member
    edited July 2 #57

From the link:
    "Europe is turning more dependent and will likely become more exposed to rent-seeking behaviour from oligopolistic players," said Mr Blanch."
    Damned Oligopols, they always mess things up. BTW, what the H does that mean??

The economy has been benefiting from domestic energy production for some time now. Seems like old news. Our birth rate and support for boomer SS payments has been bolstered by immigrant families BTW, which I have always thought was the reason for lax barriers and enforcement. Things they don't tell us.
    I do think we can soon be the worlds biggest producer of serapes and straw hats, and maybe "Persian" rugs as well.
    Put simply, if America can continue to prosper given the bizarre leadership in D.C., maybe we are special.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 161 Senior Member

@ricinus said:
    You think the the Oil Sands are "dirty oil", wait til the fracing starts on shale.

Mike

It depends what "shale" is being fracked. Some is light oil, and its been produced for a while. But alternative energy will increasingly compete with even that oil. IMO, energy is no big USA deal for decades, but climate change is real.

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 900 Senior Member

Can anyone explain to me:
    1. Why we are replying to an entry from someone signed in as "unknown"
    2. Who Juliet is.

Jim

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,730 Senior Member

@sherb said:

A "juliet" is anyone who deleted their account at any time.

Who's the juliet who implied I have an inflatable "girlfriend?" LOL

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 900 Senior Member

Okay, explain "Unknown."

Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file