Home The Lodge

Replies

• kanaloakanaloa Banned Posts: 475 Senior Member
    It's been three months...it's time for something different!
  • meanwhile your posts go on forever
  • the future for streams looks bright

6196247165_05cdf34f03.jpg
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,749 Senior Member
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,402 Senior Member
    Nice weeds?
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    meanwhile your posts go on forever

Well.....a few of my 146 replies to the posts of others get marginally close to character limit policy.......OR......I could post 2,663 smaller posts like you......

If you do the math....I think you're a bigger hog of forum space than I am....but I'll give it to you and say.....you and I use the same amount of space on the harddrive storing the ones and zeros for the forum.....of which you aint paying for or managing anyway....

;)
  • There's a character limit policy now? ****.

Appearing Tonight.

The Kanola Monologues Lite.
  • thanks

sadly if things go according to the plans of some ... despite of it's designated status that stream is about to go down hill as it is on the doorstep of a silica sand mine ... Windsor Permian has purchased 4 sites and options on another two for a total of 600+ acres with an estimated in excess of 80 million tons of sand (estimated value at more than $8 billion) that will be mined and shipped elsewhere for use in fracking natural gas wells ... the main issue other than the silica dust degrading air quality is that on average an individual site pumps anywhere from 100-300 million gallons of water out the aquifer per day ... it's interesting to hear their 'experts' claim this will have no impact on a 'spring' creek

oh and you asshats out there spare me the 'jerbs' argument ... this might produce a grand total of a couple to three dozen jobs at or less than $40k a year and leave the residents with a set of smoking holes when finished ... the trout stream supports a significant ongoing revenue stream to a local year round campground for tourism (of which trout fishing is actually not the majority), bed and breakfasts, restaurants, small retail ops etc

one of the prime landowners to benefit is a former CEO of the MN Timberwolves and a non-resident landowner
  • go look up the word 'missive' ... have someone read it and explain it to you
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Cute little girl. Family?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,534 Senior Member
    Are we running low on silica sand?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • in a manner of speaking yes

I am her adoptive uncle ... her father and I are closer to one another than we are to our respective own brothers and I call his mom ... 'mom' as well
  • Are we running low on silica sand?

the 'mines' are popping up all over WI and now in MN

apparently the silica sand we have here is the absolute best in the world for frakking your hole
    ...closer to one another than we are to our respective own brothers and I call his mom ... 'mom' as well
    I have a friend like that. His mom called her two sons, daughter, another friend and myself her "puppies." She was my second mom.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Are we running low on silica sand?

It's a really fine sand like beach sand but without the salt. It's like the sand on the Dunes in Michigan.
    If you're talking to me....I know what a missive is.....

And in the same vein....why don't you look up the word 'hypocrite'...and have someone read it and explain it to you....

2,670 posts to my 149 replies....and you're slamming me for length?

Well...aint that the metaphorical pot calling the kettle black?

You forum hog you.....

;)
    I see she is starting off with a cane rod. Smart girl.

• uhh where did I 'slam' you? ... unlike your original AHO comment I was simply having some fun or trying to
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    kanaloa wrote: »
    If you're talking to me....I know what a missive is.....

And in the same vein....why don't you look up the word 'hypocrite'...and have someone read it and explain it to you....

Well...aint that the metaphorical pot calling the kettle black?

You forum hog you.....

;)

Now I know where all the sand went...

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• FishTX wrote: »
    I see she is starting off with a cane rod. Smart girl.

yes and more like a really eager dad with alot of faith
    Faith in how she handles the rod? Rods can be replaced. Special moments like the one you captured are fleeting.

• SaraSara Senior Member Posts: 512 Senior Member
    Cute!
    Very Cute!
    the 'mines' are popping up all over WI and now in MN

apparently the silica sand we have here is the absolute best in the world for frakking your hole

Well having never had my hole fracked, I will have to take your word for it.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    kanaloa wrote: »

In fairness you were gone for 3 whole blissful months.
  • Well having never had my hole fracked, I will have to take your word for it.

rom the Zumbrota News Record...

12-month delay approved for silica sand mining

By Paul Martin

RED WING - Loud cheers broke out in the Old Courtroom at the Goodhue County Government Center as the Goodhue County Board of Commissioners voted 5-0 to impose a 12-month moratorium on any application to start mining silica sand. The packed public hearing was part of the board's September 6 hearing.

Oil and gas producers across the USA are drilling for deposits which have to be forced out of rock layers under pressure by firing in a liquid slurry to break open the rocks. They claim the USA holds deposits equal to twice the reserves found in Saudi Arabia. Exploiting them is vital if we are to meet our energy needs in a way that does not leave us dependent on foreign oil and gas producing nations. The process is known as fracturing, or "fracking" - hence the name "frac sand" for this 21st century gold. Board Chair Ted Seifert gave his opinion, stating, "Our standard of living depends on having enough energy. Frac sand is needed for our future to extract natural gas, even if here is not the right place."

Mining companies exploring

Goodhue and Wabasha counties

Drilling companies have opened numerous mines in Wisconsin, just in the last 3 years. They are now casting their eyes towards this area. It turns out Goodhue County sand is almost pure quartz. This makes the grains perfectly round and very tough. It is perfect for keeping underground cracks open to allow oil and gas to be pumped out. Even better, much of it is close to the surface, and easy to mine.

Earlier in 2011, local residents found that Windsor Permian LLC, a company based in Oklahoma City, has quietly spent $2.6 million on 155 acres on either side of Highway 58, south of Highway 5 in Hay Creek. Exploratory drilling is taking place there. They have also bought 40 acres near Hansen's Harbor in the Frontenac area for another $310,000, possibly to use for storing, processing and loading sand for barge and rail transport. The company has said next to nothing publicly about their intentions, but has recently held preliminary talks with County Planning and Land Use staff.

Residents fear huge mines

will overwhelm planning process

Concerned citizens in the area between Red Wing and Lake City have looked across the Mississippi. "In Wisconsin, 16 mines have opened in the last 3 years," Keith Fossen of Red Wing told the hearing. "11 more are in process, and 14 others are proposed. These are large, industrial-scale mines, totally different from the sand and gravel pits we are used to seeing. One, just proposed in August, would lower a 43-acre bluff in Pepin, WI, by 193 feet."

Anxiety is amplified by the size of many Wisconsin mines. Fossen's presentation quoted these examples:

• "A mine in Chippewa Falls trucks out 1.7 million tons of silica each year. At 20 tons per truck, that could be 1600 loads each week."

• "The Chippewa Falls transfer station is roughly the same size as the parcel Windsor Permian bought in Frontenac, and it has 7 rail spurs. This strongly suggests that more than just one mine is planned."

• "The Maiden Rock mine uses 1.25 million gallons of water per day, but has permission to use 3 million gallons. One Chippewa Falls mine has just requested a permit to use 200 million gallons per day."

• As Amy Nelson said, "These are not just sandpits!"

Protestors, now organized as Citizens against Silica Sand Mining under the slogan "Save our Bluffs," fear that Windsor Permian and other companies will soon move into southeast Minnesota on the same scale. They note that large areas of the county sit on rich deposits of this valuable sand. It underlies the limestone layers, but is easily accessible along the Mississippi River bluffs. Rich deposits are also found in the river valleys in the area between Cannon Falls, Zumbrota and Pine Island.

Planning applications for a mine must, by law, be processed within 60 days. Even one such application for a mine would be well beyond the scope addressed by today's county ordinance, and would likely overwhelm the resources of a small county, they say. However, the likelihood is that that first application would only be "the nose of the camel under the tent," in the words of Jeanne Egbert. They believe such stealth is part of the mining companies' chosen way of operating. They believe several Wisconsin counties have been caught out by this rapid process, and that we need to keep ahead of the game.

Protestors want

a 12-month moratorium

Local response has been to apply for a 12-month moratorium for any silica sand mine applications. Following a packed and intense meeting of the Planning Advisory Committee on June 20, the PAC voted against the proposal. On a split vote, they concluded the current ordinance is adequate to handle any application. Since then, the cities of Red Wing and Lake City, plus Featherstone, Florence and Hay Creek Townships, have all supported the idea. Wabasha County has already imposed a similar moratorium.

Concern #1: water pollution

The biggest issue in the minds of many citizens is groundwater pollution. "The county is blessed with very special streams and resources," said Chief Planning Officer Mike Wozniak. "But our Karst geology is very susceptible to water pollution." Windsor Permian claim that the Jordan aquifer is 50 feet below the bedrock, and so will not be affected. Process water would all be recycled and there would be no discharge. Jim McIlrath of Frontenac was not convinced, and told the PAC in June, "The usual blasting agent is an ammonium nitrate / fuel oil mixture, which leaves a residue. Blasting cracks limestone, then water reaches the groundwater in a matter of hours. It is then trapped, and it can take years for changes to become apparent." Many properties in the area rely on wells. They fear for their supply, and do not trust the mining company's promises to monitor water quality and compensate for any effects.

Concern #2: Air quality

Mining and transporting large amounts of sand is bound to lead to dust being spread over a wide area, it is claimed. Again, mining companies claim they can control the dust, but protestors point to Wisconsin's experience and mistrust those promises. Karen deLuca, Red Wing physician, voiced the health concerns. "Silica sand is not the same as beach sand. It is known to cause lung cancer, and silicosis. Both can be fatal. A recent California study of
  • got the moratorium

now waiting on #1 and #2

by the way one of the huge problems is EACH of these facilities will be pumping ~200+ million gallons of water out of the aquifer everyday ... they've made no indication on how they intend (if at all to return it) nor have demonstrated even the remotest intterest that nearby Hay Creek is a designated trout stream (therefore has specific water quality regs from the MPCA) or that it is a spring creek

this tells me that they have figured that it's only a matter of schematics on how they will get the regulations on the watershed 'changed' or exempted

Permian went up and down the valley buying up land parcels without so much as a single inquiry to the DNR regarding the watershed

Hay Creek has been one of the cornerstone restoration projects with communist money from the recent Dedicated Funding for Habitat Amendment to the state's constitution (which was approved by the voters with an overwhelming majority vote - something the state Republicans absolutely 'hated' ... you know 'of the people, by the people and for the people')

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement