Flouro Tippet Knot

ricinusricinus Senior MemberPosts: 6,214 Senior Member
What knot do you use to tie flouro tippet to leader? I keep breaking off at the knot.

Mike
My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Replies

• P.DieterP.Dieter Super Moderator Posts: 968 Senior Member
    i do well with a double surgeons however the only flouro tippet I use is .015 so I may not have good info for lighter stuff.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________
    it is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it
    - Aristotle

Northwest Fly Anglers
  • SilverCreekSilverCreek Senior Member Posts: 131 Senior Member
    You didn't say you are tying fluoro to mono but I assume that is when you are getting breaks. For tying fluoro to fluoro, use a double surgeons as recommended or a blood knot.

Fluoro is denser and harder than mono. Mono absorbs water and swells, fluoro does not. So the fluoro cuts through the mono when they are tied together.

Use a triple surgeons knot (three turns). I've had two turn surgeons knot fail multiple times. Besure to lubricate the the knot before chinching. You can also use Loon Outdoors Knot Sense to seal the knot and keep the water out of the mono.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    What knot are you using right now?

The orvis tippet knot is a 100% knot. Or so they say. But its very strong.

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member
    I too use a double surgeon's knot fluoro to fluoro with no problems.

Since fluoro does not decompose as mono does, I have never had a problem with outdated fluoro leaders or tippet. Every once in a while Sierra Trading will have leaders or tippet at very good prices. Even better, if you are near an Orvis outlet store you often can find two-packs of Mirage leaders and spools of tippet in the 99 cent jar.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • idlerickidlerick Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    I had the same problem with blood knots and surgeons tying 4X FC to a 2X nylon leader. A triple (3-turn) surgeons was a bit better, but still broke after some usage (10-15 fish). I tried those small jewelers' rings with two Pitzens to avoid tying the FC directly to the nylon, but they're impossible to change out in the field (too small to work with) and had one open up on me on a good fish. Also tried a loop-to-loop connection using two triple surgeons loops. No better. I finally settled on the Orvis Tippet Knot (URL above somewhere), and it's been great. I still re-tie once a day or so,and it takes a little tool made from a paper clip to tie it easily, but it's a very strong and durable connection.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    It's tying flouro to regular leader and I was using a double surgeons. I tried a triple surgeons and it is better but still had a few problems. I have a look at the Orvis Knot.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    I have had this problem too, but only with very fine tippets. For example, I can tie a 2x mono leader to 3x fluoro tippet all day and not have trouble. But I get a lot of breakoffs tying 5x mono to 6x tippet.

I use a triple surgeons but it definitely seems to be the "weak link" - it will break before the clinch knot in 5x or 6x tippet.

bd
  • ShoeShoe Junior Member Posts: 17 Junior Member
    I have used these other knots. For the last couple of years I have used the ligature knot. It has some advantages. Disadvantage is that it is a big ugly knot. An advantage is you don't have to pass the end of the line (sometimes I already have a fly on it) through a loop. Secondly, the tag ends are strong, so I can tie flies on them. I routinely use mono leaders and flouro tippet and the diameters are not nearly close at times. I don't recall it breaking before the knots on the flies.

http://www.survivalworld.com/knots/ligature_knot.html

s
    From the ligature knot page:

ligature_knot%201.png

Holy Moley! That knot looks more complicated than the causes of World War I!!!

As a general rule of thumb, any knot that I need an engineering degree from MIT to remember is too complicated for me to want to tie streamside.

bd
  • ShoeShoe Junior Member Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Ha. ha. It isn't that difficult. Seriously, just another option. It is seven wraps one direction and then seven the other. The bigness of the knot may keep the flouro from digging in. Getting it to tighten correctly like figure 6 can be a challenge sometimes. Even a "Junior member" like me can remember it.

s
    Shoe, I can see me trying to tie that sucker on a windy day!!

Mike
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »

The orvis tippet knot is a 100% knot.
    Those knots are overpriced and no longer made in England
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Orivis knot. Never have a problem even with 6x and 7x.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    Those knots are overpriced and no longer made in England

An astute observation, sir. Quite astute indeed.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • ghostghost Junior Member Posts: 12 Junior Member
    Mike, you still didn't mention what size line you're using. I use a double uni knot, or a loop-to-loop connection employing a perfection loop. But I'm also using 15# flouro tippet or larger.
    yatahey wrote: »
    Orivis knot. Never have a problem even with 6x and 7x.

I've been looking around, and the knot that most places call the "orvis knot" is for tippet to fly. So I'm unclear on which one people are recommending.

Is it this one?

http://mudbugco.com/joom/images/stories/knotpictures/lefthemoknot.pdf

It's less complicated than the ligature knot, for sure, but still looks a little more involved than I'd like.

I do like the simplicity of the surgeon's knot.

bd
  • Just go to the orvis website, go to knots, go to Orvis tippet knot, and look. Its very user-friendly.

edit: and no, that's not it.
    I'm using a lot lighter- 3X and smaller(6# test)

Mike
    ghost wrote: »
    Mike, you still didn't mention what size line you're using. I use a double uni knot, or a loop-to-loop connection employing a perfection loop. But I'm also using 15# flouro tippet or larger.
  • Scruffy FlyScruffy Fly Junior Member Posts: 17 Junior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Just go to the orvis website, go to knots, go to Orvis tippet knot, and look. Its very user-friendly.

edit: and no, that's not it.

Actually it is the orvis tippet knot.... when you use two twists. It is just the reverse of what you normally think when tying it as on the orvis website. Try tying both and hold them side by side before you make the final pulls on them and you will see that they are the same.
  • well, whaddya know. learn something new every day.
  • Scruffy FlyScruffy Fly Junior Member Posts: 17 Junior Member
    That is about what I said when about a year ago someone on a forum said that it was the same. I thought no way until I did samples and compaired them. I had the Lefty Kreh Hemostat knot linked to a demonstration on the old Fly Fisherman Magazine website for several years on a TU website I used to maintain and never realized it were yielded the orvis tippet knot when done with two twists.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.