I need a new tying vise

Brian D.Brian D. Senior MemberPosts: 4,011 Senior Member
I currently tie off a cheap vise that I got with a fly tying kit. I think I'm about to upgrade to something better, since I'm currently putting a tying desk together and I think it'll work better with a pedestal base vise instead of a c-clamp one. My requirements:

1. I am a cheapass and I don't want to spend a lot of money. Due to my cheapassedness, I'm probably going to consider anything $150 and up "a lot of money."

2. I am no great tier (tyer?), so I want something easy to use. I don't need anything super high-tech.

3. My tying is mostly in extremes - #20 to #26 midges one day, and 6- to 8-inch streamers for big browns (or maybe stripers) the next day. Often there's not a lot inbetween.

I've never owned a rotary vise, but I tie some stuff like clousers and kreelex minnow type flies and such where I have to turn the hook over halfway through. It would be nice to be able to flip it without removing it from the vise. So maybe a rotary ought to be on the menu.

Okay, those are the parameters. What should I buy?

Oh, and are there any reasons why a pedestal isn't a good idea? Are they sturdy when you're tying or is it going to wobble under tension and be a pain in the butt? I've only tied on a c-clamp one so I have no idea.

bd

Replies

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I have two I like. Griffiths Patriot- sorta rotatable- and a Renzetti Traveller- true rotatable- both are excellent vises. Cheap vises are exactly that-- cheap--. As for pedestal vs c-clamp, I have no trouble using a pedestal, but c-clamps are more secure if you use a lot of tension on your thread.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Check out Peak vises too. High quality reasonable price. I have one with the standard jaws and tie everything from 24-2 with them.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    The Renzetti Traveler is a great vice but it does run a bit more than your $150 limit.

Check eBay....there are several deals on Renzetti vices.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1311&_nkw=renzetti+vise&_sacat=See-All-Categories
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Forgot about Peak, they make a great vise. I bought my buddy one for his retirement and he loves it.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I mostly tie on a DanVise, but it's not great for anything less than a size 22. I've done size 24, but need to wear goggles when the hook goes flying. However, it is in your price range.

I would suggest: a) "true" rotary; b) a c-clamp.

If you ever do deer hair bugs, the extra stability of a c-clamp will be appreciated.
  • Auntie EmAuntie Em Senior Member Posts: 159 Senior Member
    I love the Renzetti. Would, however, suggest a pedestal AND a C-clamp. You never know when you'll need to tye one up from a steering wheel (while waiting out a huge storm), or attached to the arm of a lawn chair fireside. Renzetti has a nicely weighted base that doesn't go anywhere on a desk top, even with "greater tension" on the thread, and easily accommodates 2 - 26. The investment would be the last you'd need to make in vises!
    Lord ... give me patience, and give it to me RIGHT NOW!!!!!
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,013 Senior Member
    The Renzetti Traveler probably is the best value in fly-tying if you consider what it can do and how long it is likely to last. Pay a few bucks more and get the cam jaw version. You can save a bit where it matters little by buying an aftermarket base or C-clamp.

Another option is to buy a knock off that won't last a lifetime but costs a lot less.

Regal knock-off: http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Crown-Spring-Tension-Vise/product/10220904/-1760826?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Renzetti knock-off: http://www.basspro.com/Terra-Rotary-Vise/product/10225557/-1341245?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

pedestal base: http://store.hookhack.com/Pedestal-Base/products/341/

The Renzetti copies and knock-offs I have seen fall far short. I have a Regal knock-off similar to the one shown above that I use for big bass and salt water flies. It has worked well for a dozen years or so, but it gets limited use and I would not say it is equal to a Regal.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Bubba FinghasBubba Finghas Senior Member Posts: 145 Senior Member
    Renzetti Traveler and a Nor-vise is what I use, both should work like a champ and I would not purchase the ghetto knock offs, they will always seem to have an issue holding small hooks.

another for Renzetti

I am on my second after they went to a bearing
  • Troy BassoTroy Basso Moderator Posts: 25 Junior Member
    Brian stop being so **** cheap and get a renzetti. I have been tying on my traveler for a very very long time. After about a year I bought a sdjustable c clamp thing from dyna king of all places and now my set up is good enough that I cant justify, nor do I feel the need for an "upgrade". I tied a pile of 22 midges last night and some artuculated musky patterns on 6/0 hooks today. Its a great set ip.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    One of the reasons I tie my own flies is that it's cheaper than buying them.* If I buy a $250.00 vise it kind of undermines that.

bd

*The other reason I tie my own flies is so I can make things I can't buy, but that's not really relevant to this discussion.
    Not when the 250.00 vice lasts you a lifetime.......
    Technically, my current super-cheapass vise from a $75 tying kit could "last a lifetime" in the sense that it's not broken or anything. The c-clamp just doesn't fit on the layout of my tying desk very well.

In fact, the thought has occurred to me that maybe I ought to just cut a notch out of one of the shelves on the desk to make the c-clamp fit better and forget about this whole new vise thing.

I'd kinda like a rotary though, honestly.

bd
    Come take my class next Saturday and I will let you tie on my traveler. Only real way to tell if you like a certain vice is to actually spend some time using it.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,560 Senior Member
    Regal is the only vise worthy of my precious time.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    Troy Basso wrote: »
    Come take my class next Saturday and I will let you tie on my traveler.

It'll probably have to be another time. I think I'm going blackberry picking on Saturday. I'm trying to get enough to make an attempt at brewing blackberry wine.

bd
  • ScottPScottP Senior Member Posts: 480 Senior Member
    Started with a Thompson, loved it. My wife got me a Regal for my birthday back in the late 80's (tell me I'm not one lucky SOB) and loved that even more, although early on I did have a few small hooks come off the vise like a .22 because I didn't have them seated properly. Then my neighbor was looking to unload his Traveller to move up to the Presentation, and I got it from him for $50.00 back in 1997. Although I still like the heft of the Regal and break it out once in a while to tie deer hair bugs or some saltwater monstrosities just for kicks, it's been the Renzetti ever since.

Regards,
    Scott
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
    Brian D. wrote: »
    One of the reasons I tie my own flies is that it's cheaper than buying them.* If I buy a $250.00 vise it kind of undermines that.

bd

*The other reason I tie my own flies is so I can make things I can't buy, but that's not really relevant to this discussion.

It is much less expensive, but only after the first two thousand dozen or so.
  • Tim MurphyTim Murphy Member Posts: 84 Member
    Dear Brian,

The least expensive Regal will meet your dollar requirements and also tie the sizes you are looking to tie provided you are careful when mounting those 22's and 24's in the jaws. One thing the Regal will do is hold any larger hook you care to tie on. I've tied 5/0's on my Regal Inex and it held the hooks as tightly as you apparently hold a Buffalo Head nickel.

I did break down and buy a "C" clamp version Dan-Vise last year though. I got it from J Stockard when they had one of their many promotions and got the vise and extension arm which you will appreciate when tying larger streamers shipped to my door for under $ 100.00. It's nice vise considering that it offers true rotary and I'm confident that I'll never outgrow it's capabilities.

Regards,

Tim Murphy:D
  • captfredfishcaptfredfish Junior Member Posts: 6 Junior Member
    George K wrote: »
    The Renzetti Traveler probably is the best value in fly-tying if you consider what it can do and how long it is likely to last. Pay a few bucks more and get the cam jaw version.

big time get the cam jaw...
  • I have a Montana Mongoose by Griffin. It's a rotary. With cam jaws. It's been a good vise. I found mine as a demo model on Ebay. I've tied down to #28 on it with no problems. You can clamp it to a table or use a steel base. Comes with a plastic case.
    If you've never tied with a rotary you'll love it. Other than that the guys I tie with mostly have the Renzetti Traveller.
  • Buttonwood BobButtonwood Bob Junior Member Posts: 25 Junior Member
    I own a Renzetti traveler, and have used it for years, disliking the knurled tightener. I won't buy another from them. They converted to a cam vice, and charged the only people who would ever want one...their former customers, half the price of a new vice for the conversion head only. Regals cost far less, and everyone who owns one likes them. If you are buying for prestige, (and quality) the Barracuda is a fine vice.
    I own a Renzetti traveler, and have used it for years, disliking the knurled tightener. I won't buy another from them. They converted to a cam vice, and charged the only people who would ever want one...their former customers, half the price of a new vice for the conversion head only. Regals cost far less, and everyone who owns one likes them. If you are buying for prestige, (and quality) the Barracuda is a fine vice.

I agree that the cam kit is expensive at the current price of $75, but I also understand that manufacturing the jaw assembly is more than half of production costs.

I wish you would share with us where to find Regal vises for "far less" than a Renzetti Traveler. The least expensive Regal I can find also is named "Traveler". It does cost $35 less than the Renzetti Traveler, but is not a rotary vise, which is what sets the Renzetti apart and why so many others have copied his design.

The Barracuda and some other Renzetti knock-offs are very good vises, but The Barracuda costs about twice what the Traveler does. It will not tie better flies or last longer, so unless you just really want stainless steel and ball bearings why would you pay double? Unless, of course, you are "buying for prestige" rather than functionality.
  • I don't know why anyone would buy a vise at that price that's not a rotary.
  • I have DanVise on a tool kit type pedestal and never need to tie a #22. I have done the griffins and regals as well in your price range and good machines.

When getting all worked up about 'true rotary' and jaw strength I try to remember these things used to be tied by hand alone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.