The RS2

Brian D.Brian D. Senior MemberPosts: 4,011 Senior Member
It seems like RS2s are a popular fly for a bunch of folks who like fishing tiny stuff, but I don't seem to have much luck with them. I catch a lot of fish on WD40s, which are at least vaguely similar as patterns go, but RS2s don't do much for me.

What am I missing?

bd

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Tungsten.

Seriously, sounds like a confidence issue. Fish a pattern you have no confidence in, and you'll get blanked every time.
  • Bubba FinghasBubba Finghas Senior Member Posts: 145 Senior Member
    I fish a double tung WD40 and it really kicks ****.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I go with the confidence thing also. I'm trying to fish more soft hackles- just because- but I ended up going to a Pheasant tail; my fav.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,579 Senior Member
    Brian D. wrote: »
    It seems like RS2s are a popular fly for a bunch of folks who like fishing tiny stuff, but I don't seem to have much luck with them. I catch a lot of fish on WD40s, which are at least vaguely similar as patterns go, but RS2s don't do much for me.

What am I missing?

bd

I never have luck with them when I try them in the surface film. Down deep I have caught quite a few on them.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    you don't have much 'luck' fishing tricos do you?
    It seems like RS2s are a popular fly for a bunch of folks who like fishing tiny stuff, but I don't seem to have much luck with them. What am I missing?

bd

What am I missing?

bd

Tie 'em with CDC instead of that piece of pheasant rump or whatever. Worse comes to worst, take the split shot off and use them as dries.
  • JasonJason Member Posts: 33 Member
    The RS2 seems to have lots of variations. I've had good success with an olive body cdc winged version on tailwaters, fished in the film. I also had pretty good luck with a wire ribbed version on some high country lakes in RMNP, though I suspect just about anything would have worked in that situation.

This is a pic of one similar to what I've had good luck on.
    10-0280_rs2-olive.jpg
    Jason wrote: »
    The RS2 seems to have lots of variations. I've had good success with an olive body cdc winged version on tailwaters, fished in the film. I also had pretty good luck with a wire ribbed version on some high country lakes in RMNP, though I suspect just about anything would have worked in that situation.

This is a pic of one similar to what I've had good luck on.
    10-0280_rs2-olive.jpg

Looks like my CDC BWO
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,811 Senior Member
    What Steven said.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    you don't have much 'luck' fishing tricos do you?

We don't really have much in the way of tricos around here. Maybe that's the problem.

We get occasional hatches of BWOs here and there, but our local fish don't seem too impressed by them. I've seen them midging or taking caddis out of a crowd of BWOs that are all being ignored.

When I've fished the RS2, I've been fishing it as a midge emerger, the same way I use the WD40. Could be that I'm casting the right fly at the wrong times.

bd
  • I think it fishes better as a nymph.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,811 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I think it fishes better as a nymph.

Out west it probably does. Here in PA limestone country the CDC version works as a BWO emerger. A little trailing clear poly braid looking like a cripple's shuck makes it work even better. Essentially the same fly, but in yellow or orange, is deadly during the evening sulphur hatch.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • gatsbygatsby Member Posts: 30 Member
    There have been other threads on fishing blogs where the discussion was if you could only carry one fly...... I fished a private property on the Yampa just downstream from Steamboat this past weekend. The pattern that worked consistently was the RS 2 and it is a fly I would nominate for "if I could only carry one fly." I have also been successful with this pattern on the surface. It is an emerger pattern, basically. And if fish are eating emergers.... Gangbusters.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.