Home The Lodge

New Super Congress Committee should their meetings be aired on TV?

Is transparency a smart idea in lieu of the last round of partisan squabbling? Or will it only show the world and rating agencies we are not able to make needed public policy in this country?

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    If the meetings were in public then there would be no compromising. Both sides would be more concerned with appeasing their base.

I personally hope no deal is arrived at and then I will finally see the Military budget slashed in a very real manner.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    I personally hope no deal is arrived at and then I will finally see the Military budget slashed in a very real manner.

That would be awesome! More unemployment would kick a$$!
    Did you see where Monkey proved that military spending does not have that much effect on employment?

We could use that money to build bridges and schools or hell even an electrical grid that does not go down when Mom plugs in her waffle iron.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Belgian Waffles are America's biggest problem. We must invade Belgium. Heck don't they have a better bond rating.
    If we put it on right after TU's On the Rise episodes, nobody would even watch it, and it would be like it never happened.
    I've seen them all and you look fabulous btw.
    Does he wear soccer shorts?
    greenman wrote: »
    Does he wear soccer shorts?

Dude, it's getting creepy.
    We could use that money to build bridges and schools or hell even an electrical grid that does not go down when Mom plugs in her waffle iron.

For arguments sake let’s say that Boeing goes into the bridge and school building business and that Lockheed goes into the power grid/solar energy business. Or better yet they both go toe to toe in a giant public works battle.

Let’s say they are going to rebuild tons of new project, 500 billion dollars worth.

They both eventually get the job done, some stuff is really late, pretty much all of it is over budget as they came up with some new technologies never seen in buildings or power grids before and the government changed all of their requirements many times over the years. The government also originally signed up to buy 100 power grids and 500 bridges and 1000 schools, but in the end only had funds to get 75, 350, and 750 respectively

In the end though the bridges are built, so are the schools and so are the power grids. A Few years go by and some of the stuff is getting outdated and Boeing and Lockheed have used some of their profits, (oh yeah, I forgot to mention that, they are both still in business to make money and thus do and pass all the costs and a profit to boot on to you and me) for IRAD and come up with new better buildings, bridges and power grids. Since all the power grids, schools and bridges are getting outdated and cost a lot to maintain everyone wants new ones and the cycle starts all over again.

Is this any better than today? Instead of the MIC you now have the PWIC, does this make you happier?
    I don't give a shiite about Boeing or Lockheed. I don't know if you know this or not but nobody gets to work for the same company or same job anymore. Those engineers will have to find other things to work on.

We have $3 trillion dollars in infrastructure deficit to take care of, that should last us a while.

And yes working and continually upgrading infrastructure is a better ROI than any number of bombs that should not be used in the first **** place.
  • Mr. RightMr. Right Senior Member Posts: 535 Senior Member
    I agree with Comic so far on a lot he has posted on this thread. I suspect that scares him as much as it scares me.
    To be fair to JBilly, this actually effects him and people he knows and cares about at the very least indirectly, if not directly. So his perspective on this issue is different than mine and I can appreciate where he is coming from.
    jbilly wrote: »
    That would be awesome! More unemployment would kick a$$!

and so we have it

'sacrifices' must be made everywhere except in areas that 'I prefer' ... (speaking in general JB not at you directly)

of course that sentiments like this are also coupled with the ingrained philosophy that corporations are beholding only to their shareholders (ignoring things like subsidies, tax breaks or that their products are almost entirely dependent upon gubbmint spending) all the while blaming the national debt and economic woes of this country on 'those people'

Corporations and the top 2% have a genius for convincing the Talk Radio/Foxateer and the Tricornered Hat crowd that profits belong only to them and the risks, losses and misery are to be shared by all of us

just a clarification Jbilly what Comic mentioned was a study I put up that indicates government spending on a per capita basis produces far more jobs per dollar spending in other sectors of the marketplace other than military and defense ... guns or butter ... guns or butter .... and there are lots of things engineers could be working on solving besides how to more efficiently and more expensively blow up a camel or bedouin tent or even a cave ...
    jbilly, the world you envision would be a far better one, IMO. First, it would be far more prosperous. The economic mulitiplier on transportation infrastructure is MUCH higher than the multiplier on weapons systems. Second, it would be far less deadly. Not only would we avoid deaths associated with the need to actually use these fancy weapons systems, but highways deaths would decrease significantly. Sure, we'd end up with a lobby focused on putting spending into new projects, but we already that , so at least switching that lobby's efforts into something productive would be good.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    Is this any better than today? Instead of the MIC you now have the PWIC, does this make you happier?

Well, yeah. Duh.

Right now we live in a world where bridges collapse and they're STILL pulling asbestos and lead paint out of school buildings that were constructed when my parents were kids. You, on the other hand, are imagining a future where major companies battle in an endless cycle to give us the most luxurious bridges, schools, power grids, and roads that technology can conceive.

I'm just having trouble seeing that as very dystopian, even if we still have to fight an industrial complex that wants to eat up our budget and then some.

bd

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement