Does anybody still speak English?

FishTXFishTX Super ModeratorPosts: 8,164 Senior Member
I must be getting old, because I can't stand modern slang. For instance, I'm looking through a thread on portraits with intentional lens flare. In one post a response was given to a question about exposure and here is part of the response.
and most of the times for the super dope sexy flares...
...Im still trying to get a dope flare!
"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Replies

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    Texting "language" will be the new English.

I would suggest learning Mandarin.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    it's part of the territory. The people who tend to be obsessed with special effects like lens flare to make their portraits "edgy", also use phrases like "super dope" a lot.

at least they aren't spending 2 pages obsessing over bokeh.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I still tying to find the super dope thread
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,164 Senior Member
    One of the problems is using multiple adjectives strung together when one adjective is enough to get the point across.

Something else I ran across today, but not related to slang, is the description of something new that has been around for awhile.
    A recent trend among many professional photographers is the use of Lens Flare.
    This from a digital photography school website. I guess flare didn't exist before digital cameras. :confused:
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    FishTX wrote: »
    One of the problems is using multiple adjectives strung together when one adjective is enough to get the point across.

Something else I ran across today, but not related to slang, is the description of something new that has been around for awhile.This from a digital photography school website. I guess flare didn't exist before digital cameras. :confused:

yeah, it did -- it's just that back in the film days, the lenses were so flare-prone that we spent more of our time trying to AVOID it...these days, it seems like photographers go out of their way to intentionally distort their images, perhaps in reaction to the technical quality of lenses these days? Kinda like punk was at least in part a reaction to the overproduced excesses of rock in the 70's....
    it's part of the territory. The people who tend to be obsessed with special effects like lens flare to make their portraits "edgy", also use phrases like "super dope" a lot.
    Queue the "super dope sexy HDR" posts.

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    You're a super moderator so you need da super dope.
    I'm not against using flare. There are a lot of posts in the thread that I like. It's fine as long as it isn't over used like the slang.

greenman wrote: »
    You're a super moderator so you need da super dope.
    I can't wait till we get more tools on this board, so I can try the super dope sexy banning. Perfect for Brian.

• FishTX wrote: »
    Queue the "super dope sexy HDR" posts.

ha ha

saw week in photos thing the other day in which a photographer had caught a 'dramatic' thunderstorm looming over a neighborhood

the photo had been HDR'd to within an inch of it's pixelation

but it was totally dope
    I'm not either, but my point was that I see photographers all the time ignore the basics, like good composition or lighting, and pick up on one of these little gimmicks and use it as the basis for their entire portfolio of work. We have about 200 "professional" portrait photographers here in the Tri Cities, and about 90% of them do so-called "lifestyle" photography, which mostly involves backlighting your subject and shooting w/ a 50mm f/1.4 for shallow depth of field. The majority couldn't shoot another style if you asked them to.
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    yeah, it did -- it's just that back in the film days, the lenses were so flare-prone that we spent more of our time trying to AVOID it...these days, it seems like photographers go out of their way to intentionally distort their images, perhaps in reaction to the technical quality of lenses these days? Kinda like punk was at least in part a reaction to the overproduced excesses of rock in the 70's....

Is this also the reason why people like to post iphone pics to Facebook using Hipstamatic and Instagram- to intentionally make them look like they are 30 year old film photos taken with a P.O.S. instamatic 110 camera?
    I have hipster friends on FB that do that and are met with heaping praise for their amazing photos.
    (sigh)
    That is one of the reasons I look at a lot of portrait work on different sites. I want to shoot more people and I'm looking for a variety of ideas. Now, all I do is candid shots of family and friends. Ok, but it would nice to do the kind of photos where I get more control and learn more.

Is this also the reason why people like to post iphone pics to Facebook using Hipstamatic and Instagram- to intentionally make them look like they are 30 year old film photos taken with a P.O.S. instamatic 110 camera?
    I have hipster friends on FB that do that and are met with heaping praise for their amazing photos.
    (sigh)

yeah, I've noticed.
    I must be getting old, because I can't stand modern slang. For instance, I'm looking through a thread on portraits with intentional lens flare. In one post a response was given to a question about exposure and here is part of the response.

Mike you are just getting old and are being left behind the culture and the way it expresses itself. Change is hard for those of a more advanced age. Persons of the age of thirteen to thirty five (or less) determine the usage of language.

Get with it, evolve, hang out with those in their early twenties more. Do not hang out with those younger, especially near schools.
    Wetdog wrote: »
    Get with it, evolve, hang out with those in their early twenties more.
    Hey now. When I was 38, I dated a 25 y.o. woman. I like how full of life young adults are. I've got nothing against young friends.
    Wetdog wrote: »
    Do not hang out with those younger, especially near schools.
    Last time I looked in the mirror, I didn't see Brian D.

• "Does anybody still speak English?"

First, I thought this was going to be about a Biegler post.

But now I realize that FishTx just turned in to his father.
    Last time I looked in the mirror, I didn't see Brian D.

[Can't stop laughing]
    Steven wrote: »
    But now I realize that FishTx just turned in to his father.
    Get off my lawn!!! @#$#%^ kids.

• I thought y'all only spoke Texan?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.