Lots to be hopeful about

Just finished this year's Ted Trueblood Chapter of TU Trout Camp. 2 days at the local "Nature Center" filled iwth classroom study, casting instruction, in-stream science lesons and more. Then 3 days of fishing the Middle Fork of the Boise River. 15 more kids who stand a good chance of being among th enext generation of angler-conservationists. Exhausting, maddening, and incredibly rewarding.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,570 Senior Member
    Good on you James.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Great job James. Good to see some younguns becoming interested on conservation. They are the future.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I bet they use tapatalk.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,946 Senior Member
    Good for you James. :cool:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Hextall wrote: »
    I bet they use tapatalk.

Mostly they used elk hair caddis, yellow stimulators and anything with rubber legs.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,582 Senior Member
    James, did any of the youngsters happen to catch their first fish? That, to me, is the most rewarding experience.

Good on you for doing this.
    Yes Bream watching a kid catch his first fish is pretty special.

I've got a nephew who likes to fish. Him, myself, my son and my BIL hired a guide last year out of Jacks Beach and the St. Johns River. My nephew caught a redfish over 36 inches. His dad said, "You are his favorite uncle."
    James, did any of the youngsters happen to catch their first fish? That, to me, is the most rewarding experience.

Yeah, it was first fish for lots of them, and first fish on a fly for even more. We had 15 kids, and we took them to the mountains Weds morning. By Weds night I'd say better than half of them had caught fish. By Thurs. night we were down to only 2 that hadn't caught fish. We felt a bit of pressure knowing that we had to leave for Boise by 2:30 on Fri, and assigned the two fishless kids to our best guides (one of them is just an exceptional angler, the other is a retired forest service guy who guides on Silver Creek to make a little extra money). The fishing was slow, but the last kid caught her fish at around 12:30 on Friday, and all us volunteers heaved a huge sigh of relief.
  • Mr. RightMr. Right Senior Member Posts: 535 Senior Member
    Good for you! and I'm glad you felt rewarded for doing that good.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,570 Senior Member
    Jamespio wrote: »
    Yeah, it was first fish for lots of them, and first fish on a fly for even more. We had 15 kids, and we took them to the mountains Weds morning. By Weds night I'd say better than half of them had caught fish. By Thurs. night we were down to only 2 that hadn't caught fish. We felt a bit of pressure knowing that we had to leave for Boise by 2:30 on Fri, and assigned the two fishless kids to our best guides (one of them is just an exceptional angler, the other is a retired forest service guy who guides on Silver Creek to make a little extra money). The fishing was slow, but the last kid caught her fish at around 12:30 on Friday, and all us volunteers heaved a huge sigh of relief.

Completely awesome!
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,582 Senior Member
    Excellent work!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.