Home The Lodge

Red River Bourbon Whiskey

StevenSteven Senior MemberPosts: 4,536 Senior Member

Supposedly out of Pilot Point, Texas manufactured by Western Son. There's some chatter that it might actually be made in Kentucky as Western Son is known for its vodkas.

The hype here is that it is finished in Pinot Noir casks imported down from Napa Valley.

It's a sweet bourbon with a very smooth finish - no bite or burn at all, even neat. Don't know if it's because of the finishing, but this is something everybody could drink neat.

Whoever makes it, this is a very good bourbon.

Replies

• bushart1bushart1 Posts: 895 Senior Member

I got a gift once for a fishing guiding of a 40 0z bottle of Jameson--Irish whiskey
    I took one shot---been trying to give it away since

Now my son was once in a stop over in Ireland---he had some Irish whiskey there that was finished in Sherry casks
    Said it was the best he ever had---neat

Maybe it is all in the finishing

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,908 Senior Member

Jameson's is the Irish whiskey that is blended to be drinkable yet offend no one. That's why it's so popular. I prefer Power's, especially the higher proof 12 old.

"...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,743 Senior Member

Interesting might have to check it out. I bought a bottle of Angels Envy which is finished in port barrels. I wouldn't buy it again, but that just me.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,908 Senior Member

@jbilly said:
    Interesting might have to check it out. I bought a bottle of Angels Envy which is finished in port barrels. I wouldn't buy it again, but that just me.

I like Angels Envy, but sometimes I find it a little too sweet. That's just my methotrexate-damaged palate.

"...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement