Home The Lodge

I think this is white privilege...

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 5,224 Senior Member

Joe Biden claims that if folks can't decide to vote for him or Donald Trump, "you ain't black."

Determining race by voting for one white devil over another, not actual culture and birth. I think that's priveledge.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/politics/biden-charlamagne-tha-god-you-aint-black/index.html

Replies

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,094 Senior Member
    edited May 23 #2

I don't think its a big deal, he's contrasting himself with his opponent. But every interaction will be scrutinized.
    I think Biden benefits by being outspoken and strong, because it fights the sleepy Joe image Trump has tried to pin on him. And you know, it gets Biden face time on the news, which he has not been getting much of.
    Note, black communities are getting ravaged by the virus, and the potus has not made a point of getting them extra help.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,553 Senior Member

Funny my black friends think he was right.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,521 Senior Member

It was a dumb thing to say, but perhaps not as dumb as agreeing to be interviewed by someone who fancies himself "Charlamagne tha God".

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,224 Senior Member

Oh, there so much going on with the interview...

I will just say I have black friends who have commented on similar statements by Biden and other white Democrats that blacks should vote Democrat if they know what's good for them, if they care about fellow minorities, or the like... to them it comes off as some white guy lecturing them on the painfully obvious. Like they're too dumb to realize this and need guidance from someone who has grown up in a more priveledged environment.

Their reaction is along the lines of, yes, I can see all this. I'm not stupid.

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 224 Senior Member

Yeah, a white politician talking about whether black people are really black is dumb territory to be in. Classic Joe Biden. He surely didn’t mean anything wrong but is too eager beaver to be hip. That, coupled with foot in mouth disease gets him in trouble every time.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,832 Senior Member

It’s a gaff when it happens once. It what’s under the hood when it keeps coming out that exhaust pipe of his. He’s a racist.

You never cease to crack me up with you pure devotion to the Cheeto Jesus.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Just to be clear, I am not mad at Biden. I think what he said was dumb.

The Mango Mussolini? Race to the bottom.

A bunch of conservative white pundits think this is going to drive black people away from the polls when they have an opportunity to get rid of the most racist president since Woodrow Wilson. They are stupid AF.

Is this addressed at white folks in general or white politicians telling them who to vote for?

It sounds like white people who are trying to make this a bigger deal than it is.

^Triggered. Don’t be mad at me comic I didn’t put a racist bumbling fool as the dnc potus election.

Welcome to 2016 for conservatives. Remember when you were asking how we could vote for that guy????? Well, now you know.

edited May 24 #17

Bream, one of them lowered AA unemployment to historic lows. One of them raised AA incarceration to historic highs.

edited May 24 #18

WOW the MSM is ALL over this story just like they were that time when trump ate chicken with a fork. Not. How does it feel to know the news you rely on is censuring anything that’s bad for the communist, I mean dnc.

There you go comparing apples and kumquats, and saying it's because of the corn we're raising..

edited May 24 #20

@MikeA said:
    Bream, one of them lowered AA unemployment to historic lows. One of them raised AA incarceration to historic highs.

And one of them insisted that 5 black men that were found to be innocent should still be in prison. One of them built their whole campaign on hatred of Mexican immigrants and called non-white countries sh*thole countries.

Its not a false comparison. It’s demonstrably factual. Even the lefty news outlets agree.

“The truth is,” Mr. Biden had boasted a year earlier in a speech on the Senate floor, “every major crime bill since 1976 that’s come out of this Congress, every minor crime bill, has had the name of the Democratic senator from the State of Delaware: Joe Biden.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/us/joe-biden-crime-laws.amp.html

Black unemployment fell to a record low in August, helped by a jump in the number of black women on the job.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/09/06/economy/black-unemployment-rate/index.html

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,237 Senior Member

Mike,

Bidem isn’t racist, This is just what you get when a 77 year old white man tries to be down with the brothers.

What should be really worrying to Dems is how long it took for Biden’s organization to respond to the eff up. In half that time, the RNC was already printing #YouA’intBlack t-shirts.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,521 Senior Member
    edited May 25 #23

@MikeA said:
    WOW the MSM is ALL over this story just like they were that time when trump ate chicken with a fork. Not. How does it feel to know the news you rely on is censuring anything that’s bad for the communist, I mean dnc.

If by MSM you mean major newspapers and TV networks, then for once you are absolutely correct - they are all over it, like flies on a Trump speech. The second part of your post is too silly to comment on.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    edited May 24 #24

@MikeA said:
    Its not a false comparison. It’s demonstrably factual. Even the lefty news outlets agree.
    “The truth is,” Mr. Biden had boasted a year earlier in a speech on the Senate floor, “every major crime bill since 1976 that’s come out of this Congress, every minor crime bill, has had the name of the Democratic senator from the State of Delaware: Joe Biden.”
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/us/joe-biden-crime-laws.amp.html
    Black unemployment fell to a record low in August, helped by a jump in the number of black women on the job.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/09/06/economy/black-unemployment-rate/index.html

He did absolutely nothing to make this happen other than ride on Obama's coat tails. Who he accused of being a Kenyan terrorist.

Biden is also the only major candidate that called for justice for Ahmaud Arbery.

I’m just applying the same logic that so many here applied to any and all conservatives who’ve had similar situations.

Since when do you apply logic of any kind?

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 629 Senior Member
    edited May 26 #30

Sherb skewered me for this same position (Biden’s) about a year ago. It triggered some introspection vis a vis black conservatism. However, I still can’t fathom how any African American supports Trump. He is a vile racist.

edited May 26 #31

I believe that it's in most anyone's self interest to vote against Trump. Exceptions being corporate entities and his kids. I won't deny that blacks would probably be better served by a Biden presidency. It all depends on what sort of Congress we get.

I just think for an old white guy to say support for him is a determinant of somebody's racial identity is stupid. Not gonna cost him votes, but still dumb.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement