Home The Lodge

Scotch

WetdogWetdog Senior MemberPosts: 5,934 Senior Member

Any favorites? I tried some 30yr Balvenie I can see why the cheapest bottle costs $1,000. Oh man. I asked If I could take the glass back to my room so I could sniff it for the next hour. It was that good.

I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,278 Senior Member

My brother in law bought a bottle of the 21 year old Balvenie. I think it was $233. That was pretty **** good.

Glad to see you are well enough to enjoy the finer things. That's always a good thing.

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,934 Senior Member

Next I'll be wearing plaid. I was drinking Basil Hayden for a couple years, now I am expanding my Scotch appreciation.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,504 Senior Member

For everyday drinking, sometimes neat but usually on the rocks, I like JW Black. I like it more than any of the more expensive Johnny Walker blends. For my friends who (gasp!) like mixed drinks made from scotch I keep some Clan MacGreggor around. It's surprisingly good for the price, a Highland blend with a bit of honey taste to it. Perhaps it's just me, but I think it's better than Chivas Regal at several times the price. In Scotland it's priced the same as standard blends like Dewars or JW Red, but it's cheap here, I've been told, because it comes over in SS tankers and is bottled in the USA.

For malts, I've tried many, many, many and always come back to three made within a stone's throw of each other: Ardbeg 10 yr , Laphroig 10 yr and Lagavulin 16 yr. I prefer these to their makers' pricier issues, and avoid their "bargain" bottles like Laphroig Select or Lagavulin 8 yr old.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 1,602 Senior Member

I just bought my wife a bottle of The Glenlevit 15 year. It was on sale for $66 bucks at the Class VI (military base liquor store). I left a post-it note on it telling her to enjoy but not get used to it! It'll last her months, which is good. I'm sure I'll have a taste too.

Question for Sherb (as I know he's had it) and others:
    The Class VI also carries Whistle Pig Rye 10 yr. at like $65 bucks. Is that a good one to try? The other ryes I've tried, like Bulleit and Knob Creek have been very agreeable.

I've tried all these Scotches mentioned but I can't remember what they tasted like. But during that time I was drinking the Basil Hayden (Rye)--which I highly recommend along with the Midleton (Irish) very rare. My wife likes the Aushentoshan 12 in cherry and oak casks. Sometimes it hits the spot, sometimes it doesn't.

George, mixed?????? My wife will take a sip of coke with it sometimes but!!!!!!

I guess any Scotch 12 year and up has all kinds of health benefits. Cheers!

Lots of things to try and retry.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,969 Senior Member

Just want to say hello.

How you doing? How's your back?

Steven, good to hear from you. The back is great, now the rest is another question. See my other thread. Between the brain and the heart.....I am almost fixed..well there is that pesky MCL as well. How are you?

Good, healthy.

Riding this out in Fortress Iowa. Waiting for my daughter to come down from Milwaukee next week.

Shawn, the prices you noted above seem pretty good. They are a little less than the best place I know to buy booze, Calvert Woodley in DC, and are free of sales tax.

https://www.calvertwoodley.com/

As from 1/1/20 I can shop at exchanges and commissaries, but have not yet gotten around to it. My semi-monthly lunch meetings at Fort Meyer/Henderson Hall may be on hold for a while, but I think I may drive up to Carlisle Barracks (Army War College) to have a look-see.

BTW - If anyone wants to experience an outstanding whisky from a place you would not expect, try an Amrut single malt from India. It would make many a Scotsman weep with joy (and envy).

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.

Bought a bottle of this last night. Anyone have it before?

oh yeah. Good stuff.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,963 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    oh yeah. Good stuff.

Huh yu like more than Ten High...shocked.

I don;t know what it is but I am not a fan of Basil.

Since this has now been hijacked to include bourbon I bought this recently.

Haven't opened. No idea if any good or not but I had to get it....

That Basil Hayden's my "everyday" choice. Rye is good!

@ShawnC2 said:
    Bought a bottle of this last night. Anyone have it before?

IMO it's very good, not great.

I can't afford the 98-99 point bourbons, but I've found an inexpensive 97 point one to replace Knob Creek, which I had grown tired of - Old Forrester. Don't laugh. Try the 86 proof.I think it's just a little better than the 100 proof and the fancier versions, all of which lean towards the corn/sweet side, while I prefer the rye dominance of the 86 proof.

That’s funny. In Kentucky old forester is usually a well. But I’m with you, I like it.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,015 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #19

Basil Hayden...Good stuff. Haven't had it in a few years though.

Used to have this stuff quite often also...

https://www.bulleit.com/

https://bushmills.com/

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,189 Senior Member

@ShawnC2 said:
    I just bought my wife a bottle of The Glenlevit 15 year. It was on sale for $66 bucks at the Class VI (military base liquor store). I left a post-it note on it telling her to enjoy but not get used to it! It'll last her months, which is good. I'm sure I'll have a taste too.

Oooh, that's good stuff. For retirement, I got a bottle of Glenlevit. I think it was 18 year. I cried when it ran out.

If you like a sweet bourbon, I still think Breckenridge is the best.
    For licorice, Four Roses Single Barrel
    If you like a nutty flavor, try Rieger. It's out of KC.

For rye, I sip the Whistlepig and drink FEW (out of Evanston, IL) and Templeton (which is about 90 miles Northwest from yours truly).

Whistlepig is good, so is Old Forester 90 proof, Bulleit Rye is surprisingly good.

I tried to post a pic of 10-high but the board wouldn't let me. Pending approval.

Approval denied

From Steven

"For licorice, Four Roses Single Barrel"

Wow. Thats my favorite everyday normal bourobn. And I absolutely detest licorice. Different tastes for each of us I guess

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,015 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    I tried to post a pic of 10-high but the board wouldn't let me. Pending approval.

Good for starting a fire. Bad for drinking.

@jbilly said:
    From Steven
    "For licorice, Four Roses Single Barrel"

Wow. Thats my favorite everyday normal bourobn. And I absolutely detest licorice. Different tastes for each of us I guess

Really?

Are you sure you're drinking the single barrel and not the small batch? I find the tastes to be very different.

@Steven said:

Really?

Are you sure you're drinking the single barrel and not the small batch? I find the tastes to be very different.

Agreed the 2 are different. My buddies and I did a blind tasting with a few different bourbons and all but 1 out of 5 could tell the single barrel vs small batch. Very distinct difference IMO

And yes I am positive on the single barrel....Iv got 4 bottles of it (no, I don't have a problem)

It’s not a problem if you think you may have a problem.

#science

Also, if you feel a little guilty about drinking early and/or often.

See Jim, nothing to worry about!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement