Home The Lodge

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,495 Senior Member

Don't hold your breath.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,958 Senior Member

Agreed. But absolutely crap if true. Burning at stake might be too kind.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,125 Senior Member

I am not sure I'd agree. Who didn't know this was coming? It has been on the news for months. I also started to move my 401 from index funds to fixed when the first sign of a downturn happened. I Wish TF I would have done it now. I would likely be jumping back in today. I don't think this was insider info. It was very public knowledge. I could be wrong. Steven??

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member

Also if these were actually from a blind trust, it is not fair to hold them accountable for the smart decisions of the managers of those trusts.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,495 Senior Member

Burr has made no comment on his stock sales. for him it looks really sleazy.

But the Times has an article today which may exonerate the other three, if they are telling the truth.

Loeffler and her husband, who is the chairman of the NY Stock Exchange do not make their own investment decisions; Feinstein's assets are in a blind trust; and Inhofe "said that when he became chairman of the Armed Services Committee in late 2018, he had instructed his financial adviser to begin selling off all equities in favor of mutual funds and that the January sales were a part of that transition".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/us/politics/richard-burr-stocks-sold-coronavirus.html

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,269 Senior Member

I think Burr's in trouble; the others, not so much.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,185 Senior Member

I dumped a bunch stocks as soon as I heard how it was spreading (not millions, but a decent amount for me). I was about a week early, but does that make me a bad guy?

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,269 Senior Member

No, i think the problem arises when you have access to information that others don't have. I'm not an expert in the area, but I believe that's the issue.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,958 Senior Member

That is exactly it Sherb. Insider trading is having info others don't have. If any of them took information from a classified briefing and used that to make their decisions then they should be prosecuted to the fullest.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    No, i think the problem arises when you have access to information that others don't have. I'm not an expert in the area, but I believe that's the issue.

I don't know how a blind trust works. I assume however that they cannot make those decisions. I suppose they could get around it, but you would need evidence of that.

Feinstein apparently lost money on the deal.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@sherb said:

We had the information of the virus weeks before the market took a poop. Why else would I sell like I did?

• 4SeasonFisher4SeasonFisher Posts: 5 Junior Member

But did you act on public information? Or did Deep Throat whisper something in a parking garage?

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,014 Senior Member

Yeah...Same here. Based on public info...I moved a bunch of my funds back in mid February.

https://qz.com/1822379/senators-sold-millions-of-stock-before-the-coronavirus-crash-is-that-illegal/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement