Home The Lodge

Earthquake in UT

ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 1,584 Senior Member

That was weird. At the rate things have been going the zombies should be along anytime now.

Replies

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 1,584 Senior Member

Dumb girl on local news just referred to “seismotologists.”

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,014 Senior Member

It was nice knowing you Shawn.

I hereby bequeath all of fly fishing gear to Buffco.

• Buffco2Buffco2 Posts: 841 Senior Member

Prayers for you and your wives.

”Due to Coronavirus you should shelter in place.”

“But my place is shaking!”

“Um, yeah... good luck with that.”

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member

It is sure easy to tell the people who have never felt one before. If you are talking 13 news. That woman is freaking out.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Magalloway2Magalloway2 Posts: 49 Member

Comic's right. In San Francisco and surrounds, there was a condition known as 'Earthquake Back.' A quake would hit in the middle of the night, a newcomer (usually male) would feel it, put one foot on the floor, then the full shock wave would hit and he'd be torn half-asunder. Old-timers would stay in bed until they knew the whole thing had passed and the floor was going to stay in one place.

Jim

Prayers for you and your wives. > @fishingcomic said:

It is sure easy to tell the people who have never felt one before. If you are talking 13 news. That woman is freaking out.

I would probably freak out, too.

I have been through many similar, so it didn't really bother me. I have a friend in Temecula that felt it.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

G-D right I’m freaked out! The [email protected]?$ing ground shook!!! That aftershock about 10 minutes ago was a pretty good one.

I’m so freaked out that if I were a republican I’d be going to the gun store.

The weird thing is how long they last. I am just used to them by now. The hard part is our older buildings are not even slightly earthquake proof.

• LandoLando Posts: 261 Senior Member

What makes me laugh about SLC is the huge houses, hospitals, and schools that are built right on a giant fault line.

Yep. When the Wasatch Fault goes this place is totally screwed.

Had some minor exterior foundation cracks above grade. Nothing I'm too worried about. Just going to seal them to keep water out.

edited March 2020 #17

Hmmm. It appears God really does hate the mormons.

The Angel of Amway on top of the temple in SLC had the trumpet knocked right out of his hand by the earthquake.

Before:

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 629 Senior Member

Wow. Makes you wonder. Maybe the locusts are coming to SLC.

I read a comment on the local news story about this that said "He dropped his trumpet because he is so sad at the state of current affairs." It had lots of up-thumbs. I lol'd.

What does it feel like? Do you see it shaking anything? Or just feel? Is it a rocking, swaying sensation? Or a fast vibration or rumble, like a passing train?

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,269 Senior Member

Oh you know it when you feel it.

@Buffco2 said:
    What does it feel like? Do you see it shaking anything? Or just feel? Is it a rocking, swaying sensation? Or a fast vibration or rumble, like a passing train?

In talking to my coworkers, I think the experience differs depending on the underlying geology. May people who live closer the the Great Salt Lake experienced a rolling, undulating sensation. The ground out there is very soft with (hundreds?) of feet of sediment underneath. In my neighborhood on the side of the mountain we are situated close to the bedrock. It was a rattling vibration. It was oddly loud too and I can't be certain all of the sound was simply from the house shaking. I would say it was akin to a passing train. A really, really big train.

Sherb, Have you experienced one in ID or is your experience from your time stationed in SoCal?

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,269 Senior Member

Sherb actually set off multiple earthquakes from racking his weights

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,495 Senior Member

What Shawn said.

Also, you might see your walls shaking, things falling off shelves, pictures falling off walls etc. A lot depends on the geology where you are. When I lived in Johannesburg little tremors that did minor damage like that were fairly common; some were described as minor earthquakes, others were said to be old mines collapsing and subsiding, the area being riddled with deep gold mines. It was an item of quite a bit of debate.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • Magalloway2Magalloway2 Posts: 49 Member

When I worked in San Francisco at the Blue Shield building on Fisherman's Wharf, we could distinguish between a quake and a big truck by watching the computer tape drive windows rattle. The entire area was built on garbage from the Gold Rush-1900.

Jim

@GreenMtBoy2 said:
    Wow. Makes you wonder. Maybe the locusts are coming to SLC.

The seagulls will take care of that.

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,323 Senior Member

The waves spread out to a longer wavelength with distance. Near by, its quite the shock. I felt one from a few miles away in Redlands, Ca and it felt like a truck had run into the house. At distance the waves broaden out and its more like swaying.

I was involved in study of the Wasatch fault when with the Bureau of Reclamation. They were building a water tunnel near Provo. A deep trench showed multiple buried soil zones that had been dropped down like 4-5 ft each by repeated faulting over thousands of years. And the sand pits nearby had these big cone-shaped sand boils that formed when the ground water erupted under the pressure created by the shaking. But the risk there is no more than all the places in California or Washington. Here in the front Range the last big shake was in 1882, and there was nothing to fall down.

Some of the older buildings took a big hit and a lot of our bridges are closed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement