Home The Lodge

Official Get out there and get us some fish **** thread.

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,015 Senior Member

@jbilly said:
    Joe has spent infinitely more days fishing in CO this year than I have.

What is the best 5 wt to hang yourself with?

:D

10 days total this year. Get out there jbilly!!!

@ShawnC2 said:
    What kind of grouse, Joe? They all look the same when they're dead. ;)

Ruffed grouse. Dominant grouse in the state. We have Spruce grouse in the northern most part of the state, but they are off limits to hunting.

• TheBirdManTheBirdMan Posts: 244 Senior Member

You should have come to Montana. It stayed warm here and everything is still fishing well.

So I hear, anyway. It is hunting season so it has been at least a month since I have fished.

@TheBirdMan said:
    You should have come to Montana. It stayed warm here and everything is still fishing well.

I'll be back back!!

Spent 1995 - 2014 going to various places in Montana. 2015 I needed a change of scenery.

Southwest Montana? GYE is the best fishing in the state IMO.

edited October 2020 #98

@TheBirdMan said:
    Southwest Montana? GYE is the best fishing in the state IMO.

A little bit of everything of everything over the years...Bitteroot, Gallatin, Rock Creek, Flint Creek, Fish Creek, Boulder River, Cut Bank Creek, Flat Head River, Missouri, Smith River, Blackfoot River, Kootenai River.

Smith River was probably favorite. I was there during the summers of 2001, 2002 and 2003. I got to spend it on some private property in the middle of the canyon after the float season was over...Compliments of a friend from Great Falls who owns property on the river.

• LandoLando Posts: 261 Senior Member

Ah, private water trout "fishing" in Montana. It just doesn't get any better than that.

edited October 2020 #100

@Lando said:
    Ah, private water trout "fishing" in Montana. It just doesn't get any better than that.

It doesn't!!!

Said friend owns property around mile 30 in the canyon. Holds a pig roast the first weekend of August every year and hauls in a refrigerated beer truck. So for a week...free food, drink and camping next to a trout stream with rising fish every morning...A stream that hasn't seen fisherman in a month (float season usually closes early July) and I get an invite...No way am I turning that opportunity down!!!!!

No other way to fish there unless you hire a guide and pay them around $5k for a 5 day float. Or are lucky enough to win the permit lottery. But then you still have to hire a shuttle service, rent a boat etc. Fishing there was fabulous!!!

We had a permit two years ago and bailed when the river flooded and stranded campers the week before we were to float. Some day......

(but five grand for a trout is simply stupid)

@Lando said:
    We had a permit two years ago and bailed when the river flooded and stranded campers the week before we were to float. Some day......

(but five grand for a trout is simply stupid)

After I did those 3 trips I applied for a permit a couple of times but never got it. A couple of buddies and I were going to rent boats, arrange shuttles etc. but we gave up on applying.

And yeah...I'm not paying anyone $5k to catch a trout either.

I'm working on a possible return trip there next summer.

I read an article that stated that the fly fishing boom is finally here. They interviewed Sheb's deepest love, talked of bamboo, and I lost interest.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fly-fishing-popular-essay-11601986851

I understand what she meant by getting burned out on fly fishing. I can't stand fly fishers. I can't stand trout fishers. They think they are so **** cool, hip, or elite, when in fact, 80% can't make their $1000 rods do what they are designed to do.

**** Montana, **** the Smith, the Beav, the Madison, the fill in the blank.

Want to find a worthy adversary? Poopfish.

Want to feel beat down and mentally crushed? Chase teeth.

Anyway, I am glad that you have found paradise. Say hello to Lipski while you are visiting.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,126 Senior Member

@Lando said:
    I read an article that stated that the fly fishing boom is finally here. They interviewed Sheb's deepest love, talked of bamboo, and I lost interest.

I understand what she meant by getting burned out on fly fishing. I can't stand fly fishers. I can't stand trout fishers. They think they are so **** cool, hip, or elite, when in fact, 80% can't make their $1000 rods do what they are designed to do.

Anyway, I am glad that you have found paradise. Say hello to Lipski while you are visiting.

Dude! Spot on.

I've chased teeth a few times but it's not my thing. I've caught a few 40" musky and northerns years ago.

Lipski? Who is that?

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 1,602 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #106

@Lando said:

Want to feel beat down and mentally crushed?

"Uh... Not really." If I'm going to ever abuse myself fishing it will be for PNW steelhead.

There is a good tiger muskie reservoir not far from my house, though.

edited October 2020 #107

@Lando said:

I have fished for just about everything. Spent years fishing atlantic salmon, all over the world. Steelhead - both Great Lakes fish and a few times fishing Pacific runs. Saltwater fish in the tropics - bonefish, snook, sea trout. Striped bass, bluefish, albies. I have caught musky on the fly and boatloads of pike on the fly in Canada. I have caught carp, bass, and most everything else.

I still come back to trout fishing. There is nothing more enjoyable to me than fishing to rising trout, cutthroat most of all. Forget streamers, forget nymphing, forget fishing from a drift boat. I will walk 10 miles up a mountain and 10 miles back to get skunked (which is rare) or catch a few cruising dinks (and some nice ones) over anything else I have listed above, 10 times out of 10.

That is just me, tho.

Of the rivers Joe has listed, I have fished most. The only ones of any interest are the Boulder, which is a wonderful river once well into the National Forest, along with a few of its tribs, and a couple tribs of some of the Missoula streams up into the mountains. The rest are ****, a who’s who of generic trout streams.

That is just me, tho. To each their own!

I have fished the Boulder with you.......and I can't wait to fish Pineview with Shawn. I tend to feel as if we are partly to blame. Remember the days before Instagram? We would go out on the weekends and take **** photos, download them to photobucket, just to post up on this site Monday so that those at work realized that our lives were better than their lives because we caught trout over the weekend.............

I recall one day where Sheb's Law #29 came about. Norbert and I experienced one of the greatest salmon fly days I can recall. Fish were up eating big bugs with reckless abandonment. Of course, I forgot my camera in the truck, and Sheb's battery died after the first photo. No photos to prove how awesome we were to the rest of the heathens......But Norbert and I know just how awesome we are.....or were?

Trout are trout. They have the brain the size of a pea. Trout fishers tend to overcomplicate things. I see this on the daily while guiding. I have said this before, and I will say it again.

Anyone can catch trout.

Anyone.

And cutthroat trout are the slowest of all the trout species.

(Looking at you, Lipski)

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,278 Senior Member

@Lando said:

I recall one day where Sheb's Law #29 came about. Norbert and I experienced one of the greatest salmon fly days I can recall. Fish were up eating big bugs with reckless abandonment. Of course, I forgot my camera in the truck, and Sheb's battery died after the first photo. No photos to prove how awesome we were to the rest of the heathens......But Norbert and I know just how awesome we are.....or were?

June 24, 2006.

Awesome, epic day.

@Lando said:
    I have fished the Boulder with you.......and I can't wait to fish Pineview with Shawn. I tend to feel as if we are partly to blame. Remember the days before Instagram? We would go out on the weekends and take **** photos, download them to photobucket, just to post up on this site Monday so that those at work realized that our lives were better than their lives because we caught trout over the weekend.............

Trout are trout. They have the brain the size of a pea. Trout fishers tend to overcomplicate things. I see this on the daily while guiding. I have said this before, and I will say it again.

Anyone can catch trout.

Anyone.

And cutthroat trout are the slowest of all the trout species.

(Looking at you, Lipski)

I remember fishing the Boulder with you. Good times. It was out of the Nat Forest, tho.

It is def your fault for feeling the way you do. Instagram and Facebook and all that crap. Just follow and friend those you know and decline requests from those you dont. Then youll only see pictures of fish your friends caught and youll be happy for them, just like you did when the only social media was forums. I dont want to look at fish pictures from hipsters I dont even know!

All fish are easy to catch. It isnt just trout. Things only get difficult when you put some sort of constraint on the approach. Trout are just really easy to catch on the fly rod.

I used to catch a few carp on the fly with buddies. After a few, we would open a small can of corn, toss a couple handfuls in, bait a bare hook, roll cast it out there, then drinks beers while catching fish-after-fish. Easy! It just feels hard because you put the constraint of on the fly into the equation.

And those toothy fish beating you down - go anywhere in northern Canada to catch pike after pike after pike, one the fly even! Musky are a lower numbers game, but it is still just casting - there is nothing technical about it in the least! It only feels difficult for you because you are fishing for them where they are less than abundant and in not optimal conditions. They are just as easy as any other fish.

Anyone can catch any of these fish. Maybe not with the set of constraints you choose to place on yourself, but that is your own 'challenge' and doesnt make the fish any more difficult to catch in the scheme of things.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,126 Senior Member

This is what I was referring to. I like trout fishing a lot. Some of the DB’s not so much. I actually prefer Trout fishing at the moment. Stripers kinda got boring

@Lando said:
    Trout fishers tend to overcomplicate things.

Most definitely agree with this!!!

I blame it on the companies marketing all of the stuff they say you need.

Not to take anything away from Gary Borger, he's a great fisherman and used to live about 20 miles from me, but one of the biggest scams that I always laugh at was the Gary Borger Color system. The marketing of it insisted you need to have 147 colors of thread to match the insects. When in reality size and silhouette are the most import attributes of a fly.

https://semperfli.us/2019catalog/files/basic-html/page146.html

Easy fish to catch...

Northerns and bass...WI River is 5 minutes from my house. Can go there any day of the week and catch them at will.

It is what it is, and like I always say, you be you. However, I really believe all fly fishers go through the same stages. First, you just want to catch a fish. Then you just want to catch all the fish. Once you get tired of a bobber, you just want to catch the biggest fish. Lastly, you just want to catch a fish the way you want to catch a fish. I have been through all those stages......I spent two years tossing a two-hander and nothing else. I then found a new species that is about 5 hours from me. I don't know why I drive past some prime trout water to go beat myself up. For example, this weekend I am heading there for three days of double-haulling a 3/0. The wind is supposed to be nasty, then a big **** storm, then maybe one day of eh. I am hauling the lady and kid so she can try out her new 10 wt. It is a pain in the ****, but that one eat. That one fish that comes out of nowhere and inhales a 10" fly that took me two hours to tie.......and now I get to share that with a lady I love. She tied up her own Buford in anticipation of a big **** eat.

So Mike, you are right. You be you......but I still want to get some tacos and float the Stillwater.

Yea, we need to get tacos. Maybe just one weekend this winter when there is nothing else going on. We dont have to fish. Do you and the lady do any xcountry skiing or snowshoeing?

Yes, but I like the downhill gooder.

edited October 2020 #116

I havent been on a ski slop in near 20 years. Im liable to end up in the hospital trying to make it down the mountain.

edited October 2020 #117

I fished behind the house yesterday evening. 1, 16" cutthroat on a crankbait and a bunch of smaller browns chasing the Rapala around. I was trying for the 22-24" brown that I spotted earlier while out running the dogs. It chased the cutthroat as I pulled it in.

Yes, you read right - a crankbait. Streamer fishing is dumb.

The browns are finally starting to make a spawning run out of the Jelly. Its been so warm, warm enough that I wet waded yesterday evening, 10 days into October.

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 1,602 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #118

"Streamer fishing is dumb." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God

edited October 2020 #119

Steelhead and Brown run on here in northern WI. I scored a few yesterday. All caught on yarn. All 24"-26"

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 633 Senior Member
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,278 Senior Member

Love some Great Lakes chrome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement