Home The Lodge

Official Get out there and get us some fish **** thread.

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 6,125 Senior Member

It's almost Spring, let's see them fish!
I went last Sat. It was a big ole post cold front, blue bird day. AKA, the suck. We were throwing gear for smallies. My buddy got this one and a few small spots. It was tough day. Hopefully the Striper on the fly bite picks up in a week or so.

Replies

• LandoLando Posts: 261 Senior Member

I will work on fish pictures, but in the meantime, I’ll share some recent fishing pictures.

• Buffco2Buffco2 Posts: 841 Senior Member

My river is not only out of the banks, it's in the woods. 18' high. 5-7' is normal.

Once the sap starts rising it'll be good to go.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,125 Senior Member

The weather turned on us Sun and it was brutally cold. We went from 62 and sunshine on Sat to 48 cloudy on Sunday. I wasn't really dressed for it and spent 10 hours trying not to become hypothermic. Doing 60mph in that kind of weather with no warm layers is rough. I spent Sun night trying to get my core temp back up. Good lord I was cold. I owe Simms a shout out for helping me not give up like a pus-y. Gotta love their outerwear.

We worked hard Sunday and only got 4 bass. I've just started back gear fishing last year in hopes to learn how to target these fish on the fly better. It's been a lot of fun, but where Bass fishing is concerned, I don't see a lot of places where the two sports intersect. Bass fishing on the fly in a highland reservoir is going to be a very tough nut to crack. Maybe not even worth the effort...

It's almost time to put the gear down for a bit and hit the Striper haunts.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,014 Senior Member

Made it out Saturday for my first trout fishing trip of the year. We did well. Mix of streamers and fish on top with midges.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member

There are flies that are very similar to Bass lures. Try Meat Whistles, Wooly buggers, crayfish patterns, and deceivers for below. Poppers and sneaky petes for the surface.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Poppers, clousers, belly scratchers, leech’s, and jawbreakers.......the last 4 on a sink tip. You won’t catch as many, but at least you’re not spin fishing.

Ha! I the guy who buys the Rio T14-20 in the 500ft bulk spools and makes all my own sinking/running lines. I’ve caught just about everything imaginable on a fly and all of GOAT's were on a fly. That said, this deep clear lake is just a different beast. This lake is known for being hard with gear. It's humbled many tournament anglers. I got tired of trying to beat a square peg in a round hole. When banging your head against the wall starts to really hurt. Quit doing it. I’m having fun with the gear. Going to learn the Walleye game next.

edited March 2020 #10

I do keep a fly rod in the lake boat in case an opportunity arises. Like this massive drum I found feeding on a gravel bank. He took my orange carp fly without hesitation.

Doesn’t really look like much here but that fish took me 10 or 15 min to get in. Never had a drum put up that much fight. Like a 12 pound bluegill. I’ll be stalking these fish this summer for sure.

I love trashfish. I’d target them over trout any day.

the weather was unreal, and we had nothing else to do, so we went fishing.

The fish haven’t started their run from the lake yet, but we looked. ...

Match the hatch...

We hit the lake for lunch and some fishing off the dike.

No dice, so we drove around to another river.

Found some lake runners up the wrong river....

We forgot to pull some meat before we went, so I kept a couple for tacos.

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 1,584 Senior Member

“Match the hatch.” Can’t stop laughing!

I tied this little fella up last night and wanted to see how it swam......

so I headed back to that one spot. It was 25 with some wind and snow, but I figured I would t be out that long. About the third cast a stuck a nice fish, but got thrown. I worked my way downstream a lot farther than I should have.....

I reached the lake.

On the the way back, I had to see if any fish were actually home, so I switched up to some smaller stuff. The fish were home....here is one lousy photo of a brown.

I had a pretty nice brown on that kicked my ****, but we’ll dance again.

Is this thing on?

Anyone?

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,185 Senior Member

Hey Lando, is the campground open or will be open shortly? I'm needing a sanity check, so might pull 5th wheel up for some social distancing. When is runoff expected to start?

edited March 2020 #16

Not sure......it's currently snowing outside. The river closes today.....I think some of the campgrounds are open at the lake-I don't think so up the NF. You could always ask Uncle Google.

Edit, it stopped snowing. For now.

I’ve been a few times. The rivers are all a mess because it never stops raining.

I’m still lake fishing with gear till the river clears. It’s raining now...

I did make a couple of bluegill flies to try on bedding bass. Went ramp and mushroom hunting which was cool. I’ll be turkey hunting if fishing doesn’t pick up soon

Ramps stink so bad, but tastes sooooo good. Hum, makes me think of......

I got a line on some tiger muskie....I am sofa king excited for this weekend.

They don't remind me of that at all.
    I will probably just hunt this weekend. The Water Zebra will be around to catch all summer.

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 1,584 Senior Member

Lando,
    What river is that? Where you living at these days?

I’ve been hitting a few of the rivers around the Cody area. We went looking for tiger Muskie this weekend, but only got some bass.

They are starting to show up... Had a fun weekend

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 628 Senior Member

Wow Mike, nice fish!

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,492 Senior Member

Nice!!!

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,267 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #27

This Is what happens when you get starving on the water. These were two med size (12 or 15 pounds) striper and they will be amazing on the grill.

edited May 2020 #28

Yes, diet sundrop is the fuel that makes throwing 400 grain lines all day possible. :)

I got a nice one the other day........

Turn off the news and get outside. Garden, fix the lawn, go fish..........it really helps.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,014 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #30

Spent the last 10 days on vacation. Fishing, Biking and Kayaking. Disconnected myself from all TV and internets. Didn't even learn about George Floyd until today. Sulphurs, Hendricksons, Caddis and Drakes all happening.

Solid advice from Lando. Get outside.

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,931 Senior Member

I so wish I could go out and fish, it's been three years I think. I had another seizure a few days ago and found that I cannot remember how to tie any knots. Not one. That may be worse than the time that I couldn't remember what "aperture" was. And so it goes. Have fun everyone.

I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement