Home The Lodge

Chief Justice Roberts issues rare rebuke to Schumer

Replies

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 693 Senior Member

There’s push back on Roberts. If he is going to criticize Schumer for calling out Justices Gorsuch and Kavanaugh he should have done likewise when Trump went after Sotomayer and Ginsburg. Or not said anything.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,227 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #3

It's troubling on both accounts. But was Chuck making a threat? It sounded like it. What can he do?

• Buffco2Buffco2 Posts: 861 Senior Member

Trump didn't say that S. and G. were going to suffer consequences.

@MikeA said:
    It's troubling on both accounts. But was Chuck making a threat? It sounded like it. What can he do?

Schumer’s rhetoric was over blown and ill advised. It sounded threatening but there is nothing he can do to the Justices.

edited March 2020 #6

@Buffco2 said:
    Trump didn't say that S. and G. were going to suffer consequences.

If he did, it'd be the only news we'd hear about for the next who knows how long. Constitutional crisis!! But, a dem said it so the media is like, meh.. I'm so F-ing sick of the double standard.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,657 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #9

This isn't the first time that Schumer has shown symptoms of foot-in-mouth disease.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,225 Senior Member

Threatening a judge seems like its a bad idea.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 5,083 Senior Member

@GreenMtBoy2 said:
    There’s push back on Roberts. If he is going to criticize Schumer for calling out Justices Gorsuch and Kavanaugh he should have done likewise when Trump went after Sotomayer and Ginsburg. Or not said anything.

Maybe. Or maybe Roberts figured RBG made her bed back in 2016 and can keep on lying in it.

Then again, Schumer was clearly exhorting his audience to commit physical violence.

Just like Maxine Waters did.

edited March 2020 #13

It’s evidently ok if you’re a swamp donkey, NZ.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member

@Steven said:

@GreenMtBoy2 said:

Maybe. Or maybe Roberts figured RBG made her bed back in 2016 and can keep on lying in it.

Then again, Schumer was clearly exhorting his audience to commit physical violence.

stupid post of the day.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Only Republicans are advocating for violence when they make such statements.

@fishingcomic said:

@Steven said:

@GreenMtBoy2 said:

stupid post of the day.

Lol.

“I want to tell you, Gorsuch. I want to tell you, Kavanaugh. You have released the whirlwind, and you will pay the price.”

“You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions.”

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,657 Senior Member

It sounds like he was threatening impeachment if Dems take the Senate, not physical violence. Still, a really stupid thing to say if you are trying to influence a decision.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.

Gorsuch? What the hell did he do? Are we now OK with impeaching Supreme Court Justices just because we don't agree with their decisions?

I'm sure it's all hyperbole, but didn't hyperbole shoot Gabby Gifford in the head?

@George K said:
    It sounds like he was threatening impeachment if Dems take the Senate, not physical violence. Still, a really stupid thing to say if you are trying to influence a decision.

Thank you.

Funny how when Palin put out pictures of Democrats with targets, there was no violent intent. Which btw I agree. I don't think even a woman as stupid as her actually intended violence. But it certainly didn't look good.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

How anyone can say that Chuck Schumer has a violent bone in his body is beyond me.

The faux outrage is hilarious.

edited March 2020 #22

Threatening judges in the highest court in the country is kinda a big deal. Do you think I'd get away with it?

Are you threatening them with possible impeachment or an effort to pack the court with liberals?

Then yeah.

That wasn't the question. Would I get away if I did exactly what he did?

Yes you would.

@MikeA said:

After getting a proctology exam by the FBI.

Y'know, it's kind of scary. The Justices don't have a lot of security.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,405 Senior Member

If you guys think this is a threat, you've never met a real judge, and never heard a real threat.

If Schumer had mooned a supreme Court judge, told him to go **** himself, and spit on him as he walked by, we might have something to talk about.

*yes, I have seen all of these happen.

@Steven said:

@MikeA said:

After getting a proctology exam by the FBI.

Y'know, it's kind of scary. The Justices don't have a lot of security.

It seems the stupid is more contagious than the coronavirus.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,283 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    If you guys think this is a threat, you've never met a real judge, and never heard a real threat.

If Schumer had mooned a supreme Court judge, told him to go **** himself, and spit on him as he walked by, we might have something to talk about.

*yes, I have seen all of these happen.

So, how long were you in jail for?

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 1,692 Senior Member

It was a surveyors marks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement