How ‘Bout them Roger Stone Prosecutors?

GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 121 Senior Member

What say you Sherb?

I say pretty bad but of course nothing to be done about it. We are now living in an autocracy.

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,208 Senior Member

I won't venture to guess what Sherb thinks; I think it's good that we still have civil servants willing to follow their oaths to protect and defend the Constitution.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,001 Senior Member

The Republicans unleashed the Kraken with no care what it destroys.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,510 Senior Member

In the real world. If the FBI launched an investigation based on what would later be determined to be fake evidence, and doctored (by the FBI) documents to obtain the warrant. Do the process crimes still get tried? Or if the police kick down my door because it was reported that I was dealing drugs and had the drugs in my house. But it turns out the evidence was completely fabricated and rules by the PD were broken. Is the warrant still valid in court? Do I go to jail for some other unrelated crime they uncovered while in my house? Serious question.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,554 Senior Member

serious answer: his guilt is not at issue. The case is set for sentencing. What Barr did is unprecedented. Hence the resignations.

I wouldn't be handing out medals of valor just yet though. The prosecutors made an important statement, but they are civil servants and can't be summarily fired the way the appointed US attorney can. So while I appreciate their zeal, its most likely not going to cost them much.

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 249 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    What Barr did is unprecedented.

Unprecedented and apparently at the behest of the President. I respect your opinion on legal and constitutional matter so I've got to ask: How far out of bounds is this for POTUS to interfere in this matter? To me, this is the move of an authoritarian government. Are you yet worried about the strength of our institutions to rebuff this president?

Did anyone see reports of Trump's tweet-attacks against the jurors? At the risk of sounding hyberbolic, this is horrifying.

• bushart1bushart1 Posts: 311 Senior Member

Need not worry
    Now that GOP senators bailed him out---he turned on some

Took several Billion allocated to military spending---sent it over to build that wall that Mexico was paying f for

edited February 14 #9

Thanks Sherb

I don’t get why he doesn’t just commute his sentence.

edited February 14 #10

@sherb said:
    serious answer: his guilt is not at issue. The case is set for sentencing. What Barr did is unprecedented. Hence the resignations.

I wouldn't be handing out medals of valor just yet though. The prosecutors made an important statement, but they are civil servants and can't be summarily fired the way the appointed US attorney can. So while I appreciate their zeal, its most likely not going to cost them much.

No medals? Er, how many asst. DAs in your state or county have resigned from a case or the department after the Governor opined, and the state AG or county DA reduced a sentencing recommendation? I think these four deserve credit for displaying conviction and courage. I do not think that this will make life a bed of roses for the three that remain within the CS.

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 121 Senior Member

Some sort of reverse psychology going on?

Barr's stunning Trump rebuke sparks debate over his true motives

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/politics/donald-trump-william-barr-justice-loyalty/index.html

Definitely time to sit back with popcorn in hand.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,466 Senior Member

He's gotta do something to appear unbiased.

@NZ Indicator said:
    He's gotta do something to appear unbiased.

Or improve his post-Trump job prospects. I cannot take his statement at face value.

@George K said:

@sherb said:

No medals? Er, how many asst. DAs in your state or county have resigned from a case or the department after the Governor opined, and the state AG or county DA reduced a sentencing recommendation? I think these four deserve credit for displaying conviction and courage. I do not think that this will make life a bed of roses for the three that remain within the CS.

Well the governor doesn't opine, and the State AG has no jurisdiction over county cases. The senior guy in almost every state prosecution is the county prosecutor. It's not an analogous situation.

I think they deserve a LOT of credit. For one thing, they jump-started a badly needed conversation at DOJ. Its not the same as walking though.

@GreenMtBoy2 said:
    Some sort of reverse psychology going on?

Barr's stunning Trump rebuke sparks debate over his true motives

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/politics/donald-trump-william-barr-justice-loyalty/index.html

Definitely time to sit back with popcorn in hand.

So, this morning Great Leader asserts his right to interfere in criminal cases, while Barr acts ambivalently; McCabe will not be charged, but outside prosecutors are looking into cases against Flynn and others.

Feb. 14, 2020, 1:02 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON — Attorney General William P. Barr has assigned an outside prosecutor to scrutinize the criminal case against President Trump’s former national security adviser Michael T. Flynn, according to people familiar with the matter.

The review is highly unusual and could trigger more accusations of political interference by top Justice Department officials into the work of career prosecutors.

Mr. Barr has also installed a handful of outside prosecutors to broadly review the handling of other politically sensitive national-security cases in the U.S. attorney’s office in Washington, the people said. The team includes at least one prosecutor from the office of the United States attorney in St. Louis, Jeff Jensen, who is handling the Flynn matter, as well as prosecutors from the office of the deputy attorney general, Jeffrey A. Rosen.

Over the past two weeks, the outside prosecutors have begun grilling line prosecutors in the Washington office about various cases — some public, some not — including investigative steps, prosecutorial actions and why they took them, according to the people. They spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive internal deliberations.

The Justice Department declined to comment...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/14/us/politics/michael-flynn-prosecutors-barr.html

edited February 14 #17

Couldn’t Trump have waited until after the election and commuted his sentence?

@MikeA said:
    Couldn’t Trump have waited until after the election and commuted his sentence?

He most likely will pardon him, but what he's doing now massages his own ego and gives his "base" little frissons of pleasure. ;)

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 121 Senior Member
    edited February 16 #20

More than 1,100 former prosecutors and other DOJ officials call on Attorney General Bill Barr to resign

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEEoTNwbGIN4q_K5UVl25eLwqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowocv1CjCSptoCMPrTpgU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

edited February 17 #21

Weird that they were so silent during the wingman years. Things sure do move fast and furious when it's a Republican.

Well,,, is Amy Berman Jackson part of the Trump conspiracy too?

@MikeA said:
    Weird that they were so silent during the wingman years. Things sure do move fast and furious when it's a Republican.

Republicans censored Eric Holder over a made up scandal.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,952 Senior Member

The Russia hoax was a made up scandal.

I found an awesome t-shirt for Mike!

• Buffco2Buffco2 Posts: 177 Senior Member
    edited February 23 #28

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.