Man Accused of Murdering Woman, 92, Should Have Been Deported

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 4,327 Senior Member

How many times will they allow this to happen?

The **** and murder of a 92-year-old woman in Queens became a flash point in the broader debate over immigration on Tuesday when federal authorities contended that the suspect should not have been in the country.

The officials said the suspect, Reeaz Khan, 21, had beaten up his father during an altercation in November that had resulted in his arrest, leading federal authorities at the time to ask New York City to hand him over for possible deportation.

Instead, he was arrested again on Friday and charged with the murder of the woman, Maria Fuertes.

In a statement issued by the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement on Tuesday, officials said Mr. Khan was “an unlawfully present Guyanese national” who had been released “due to New York City’s sanctuary policies.”

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member

Wasn't it ICE's job to arrest him? If he was an unlawfully present Guyaneses national, they should have detained him and deported him. There is no reason why they couldn't have picked him up themselves. Sounds like the only thing ICE is good for is stealing people's children.

Cities have to protect their citizens and discouraging people from coming forward and reporting crimes does not make them safe.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,327 Senior Member
    edited January 15 #3

He was detained. The NYPD ignored a federal request to turn him over to ICE. Instead they released him to go r ape and kill a 92 year old.

Seems like an open and shut civil suit against whoever released him to me.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,358 Senior Member
    edited January 15 #4

@fishingcomic said:
    Wasn't it ICE's job to arrest him? If he was an unlawfully present Guyaneses national, they should have detained him and deported him.

ICE relies on the cooperation of local law enforcement. If the local cops won't hold the detainee (and in a lot of places they won't), there's nothing ICE can do about it. ICE doesn't have the jail space on its own.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,327 Senior Member

He knows that.

@sherb said:

@fishingcomic said:
    Wasn't it ICE's job to arrest him? If he was an unlawfully present Guyaneses national, they should have detained him and deported him.

ICE relies on the cooperation of local law enforcement. If the local cops won't hold the detainee (and in a lot of places they won't), there's nothing ICE can do about it. ICE doesn't have the jail space on its own.

So how do you explain ICE raids on businesses? Funny they have plenty of room for all those children they are abducting.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,358 Senior Member
    edited January 16 #7

Yeah, those happen, but the typical ICE detainer comes about as a result of local law enforcement.

I don't know that I would characterize enforcing the law as "abducting children" but then I'm not a democrat and actually prefer to win elections.

Yeah and I prefer to treat people who are asking for asylum as human beings. It all sounds like a convenient excuse.

It is not the job of local law enforcement to enforce immigration. That is a federal matter and when they want to ICE has no problem arresting and detaining people.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,338 Senior Member
    edited January 16 #9

@fishingcomic said:
    Yeah and I prefer to treat people who are asking for asylum as human beings.

You have room for them at your house?

https://www.heritage.org/immigration/commentary/no-asylum-period

I think there is a vacancy right next to your house. Or you can hope for them to die. Your choice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.