Hey Shawn/Bream

bushart1bushart1 Posts: 188 Senior Member

Just read Neil Peart died

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,901 Senior Member

Was just going to post it if someone else hadn't. Brain cancer.

This sucks.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/neil-peart-legendary-rush-drummer-and-lyricist-dead-at-67

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 147 Senior Member

I just came over here to post a RIP thread as I read that moments ago. Sad. What a fantastic musician. What a great band. All time...

Rest in Peace, Mr. Peart.

I'm going to blast some Rush from my vintage 1976 Marantz this weekend.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,327 Senior Member
    edited January 11 #4

I just never could get into Rush that much. I mean I didnt dislike them. I just never bought an album cassette or cd.

I’m having old fashioned’s tonight. sip poured

• bushart1bushart1 Posts: 188 Senior Member

@ShawnC2 said:
    I just came over here to post a RIP thread as I read that moments ago. Sad. What a fantastic musician. What a great band. All time...

Rest in Peace, Mr. Peart.

I'm going to blast some Rush from my vintage 1976 Marantz this weekend.

You still have a Marantz???.......Dude

When ya play "Limelight"...have a glass o chardonnay---face north---we'll sing together

Quick overview

Neil had a rough go

His daughter was killed in a car accident heading back to university in New Brunswick after the holidays years back
    His wife quickly died of a broken heart after
    Neil jumped on his bike and took off--later writing a book on it
    I guess they're all together now

Yes, I bought an old Marantz several years back as I have a friend who restores and re-sells old stereo equipment. It is soooooo nice sounding and I love the vintage look. Have some old Radio Shack Nova speakers and it is really great. People forget radio shack made some good stuff way back when.

It is actually a 2215. Not mine but this is it:

My wife hates it!!!

@ShawnC2 said:
    Yes, I bought an old Marantz several years back as I have a friend who restores and re-sells old stereo equipment. It is soooooo nice sounding and I love the vintage look. Have some old Radio Shack Nova speakers and it is really great. People forget radio shack made some good stuff way back when.

It is actually a 2215. Not mine but this is it:

My wife hates it!!!

I love it

Reminds me of 1980---I'm in Inuvik NWT----dark 24 hrs a day---had a Pioneer system

Bream will hate me but---just about played the vinyl off the albums "The Wall" and "The Yes Album"

I had given ALL my vinyl to our daughter---and last year we bought her a new turntable

Dusted off the greats----Here I am Boxing day playing Abbey Road like I was a kid
    Man I miss those days---and vinyl (knowing it's back)

Yes is among my favorites too. I'm not a big Pink Floyd guy. Don't hate 'em I'm just ambivilent.
    My friend also gave me an old turntable. I need to get a new head for it one of these days. Currently the Marantz is set up in the basement adjacent to my ski tuning bench. I tried setting up in the living room but as I said, my wife hates it. Said it reminds her of her grandmother's wall paper.
    It is kind of amusing hoooking looking when I hook up the iPhone to that old 70's vintage stereo.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    edited January 11 #10

It reminds me of buying a stereo but not affording any furniture to put it on. So you would find some plywood and cinder blocks. Also all your albums were in an old milk crate. Oh and don't forget the high tech album duster.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Have you done any skiing yet Shawn?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Yep. I’ve been out but only 7 times. Knee feels really good thus far! Weird but the shoulder break hurts WAY more than the knee this winter

How about you?

You've got to come up to Powder Mountain; you’ll like it I guarantee! I’ll buy the beers and lunch too if you make the trek

I’ll come down and ski Alta with you when you want.

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 76 Member
    edited January 11 #13

I have an old Marantz that I bought as a freshman in college in 1975. How I had the money I don't know, but you know, one has one's priorities. Making the paint peel with loud volume was the thing to do in the all guys dorm I was in (Corbett Hall, named after a prior dean of the university's college of animal sciences. I was one of the Corbett Animals). At the time I got my Marantz the company was owned by the Japanese company that made Superscope gear but my receiver was one of the last models designed by Saul Marantz, the pioneer of high fidelity stereophonic amplifiers. I did well in the painting peeling wars. My Marantz is now retired and is in its original box in a closet. I now have a 100 watt per channel Yamaha receiver which with KEF speakers is quite capable of getting the job done.

Sorry to hear about Mr. Peart. It does sound like he had a rough road in recent years.

@ShawnC2 said:
    Yep. I’ve been out but only 7 times. Knee feels really good thus far! Weird but the shoulder break hurts WAY more than the knee this winter
    How about you?
    You've got to come up to Powder Mountain; you’ll like it I guarantee! I’ll buy the beers and lunch too if you make the trek
    I’ll come down and ski Alta with you when you want.

I spent all of October and November out of the gym. I've been working on getting in better shape and I plan on skiing only in nice weather this year. I have a friend coming in March. But I will definitely come up to Ogden. I work Saturday nights right now. So getting up there when the lift opens might be a problem.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.