Things Could Get Very "Interesting" - Buckle Your Seat Belts

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 10,137 Senior Member

BAGHDAD — President Trump ordered a strike on the Baghdad airport that killed the powerful commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corps, Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, early Friday, the Pentagon said.

General Suleimani’s death was confirmed by official Iranian media.

“General Suleimani was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region,” the Pentagon said in a statement. “General Suleimani and his Quds Force were responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American and coalition service members and the wounding of thousands more.”

“This strike was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans,” the statement added. “The United States will continue to take all necessary action to protect our people and our interests wherever they are around the world.”

The strikes followed a warning on Thursday afternoon from Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper, who said the United States military would pre-emptively strike Iranian-backed forces in Iraq and Syria if there were signs the paramilitary groups were planning more attacks against American bases and personnel in the region.

“If we get word of attacks, we will take pre-emptive action as well to protect American forces, protect American lives,” Mr. Esper said. “The game has changed.”

The Tasnim News Agency, which is affiliated with the Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corp, confirmed the death of General Suleimani early Friday...

full story here https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/02/world/middleeast/qassem-soleimani-iraq-iran-attack.html

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member

I'm not sure if I don't support this, however what matters is what happens next. I have two questions, why was he in Iraq in the first place? And what does this do to our alliances?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,971 Senior Member

If we had a top general assassinated, it would be a war-like act to many. Trump thinks Iran will think rationally and back off, but hotter heads there may prevail. Domestic politics may require Iranian leaders to act against their better judgement. I hope it doesn't lead to assassination attempts on our top generals and officials, and even attacks in the homeland.

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 76 Member

The dogs of war are straining at their leashes and are about to run free.

@creekguy said:
    If we had a top general assassinated, it would be a war-like act to many. Trump thinks Iran will think rationally and back off, but hotter heads there may prevail. Domestic politics may require Iranian leaders to act against their better judgement. I hope it doesn't lead to assassination attempts on our top generals and officials, and even attacks in the homeland.

It is not a war like act. It is an act of war.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,788 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    I'm not sure if I don't support this, however what matters is what happens next. I have two questions, why was he in Iraq in the first place?

He was apparently meeting with leaders of Iran-backed militias. The Jerusalem Post reported that Jamal Jaafar Ibrahimi, the head of the Popular Mobilization Force, was also killed. JPost is also reporting that there are reports that the deputy leader of Hezbollah in Lebanon was also there. Hezbollah hasn't made a public statement.

And what does this do to our alliances?

My guess? Nothing.

• EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,953 Senior Member

Here we go again. The bs is flowing again from our govt trying to justify this act of war against Iran. War against Iran has long been part of the plan of the neocon deep state warmongers to control all of the M.E. The cable media is jumping on the war bandwagon again just as they did 20 years ago. We've learned nothing from that stupidity.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,338 Senior Member

@EdB said:
    Here we go again. The bs is flowing again from our govt trying to justify this act of war against Iran. War against Iran has long been part of the plan of the neocon deep state warmongers to control all of the M.E. The cable media is jumping on the war bandwagon again just as they did 20 years ago. We've learned nothing from that stupidity.

@fishingcomic said:

The media will probably say the threat of retaliation puts Americans in danger worldwide.

• tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,004 Senior Member

what will be interesting will be the reaction of our "allies" - the current admin has burned a lot of bridges and fractured a lot of relationships - i think he's going to find out just how much geopolitics comes into play, and that you can't go it alone

Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member

He must have been there on a ski vacation.

• EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,953 Senior Member

NZ, will you acknowledge that my "broken record" is correct?

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,125 Senior Member

E. trump talks big like Daddy, but I bet he isn't going to the local Air Force recruitment center (still young enough).

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,004 Senior Member

@FishTX said:
    E. trump talks big like Daddy, but I bet he isn't going to the local Air Force recruitment center (still young enough).

i think the fact that he has no security clearance but knew this was going to happen is rather......interesting

Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,125 Senior Member

Good point. If we are lucky, we can rephrase an old slogan.

Loose lips sink re-elections.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,327 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

@creekguy said:

I think attacking the US Embassy was the act of war that started this. Just saying.

@NZ Indicator said:

@fishingcomic said:

The media will probably say the threat of retaliation puts Americans in danger worldwide.

Would they be wrong?

Mike Pompeo is sounding a lot like **** Cheney.

@MikeA said:

@fishingcomic said:

@creekguy said:

I think attacking the US Embassy was the act of war that started this. Just saying.

The problem with that is you would have to prove that it was not simply a protest or that it was directed by Iran.

Maybe those idiots probably thought Trump would react like Obama would? I'm leaving my seat belt unbuckled.

@fishingcomic said:

@MikeA said:

The problem with that is you would have to prove that it was not simply a protest or that it was directed by Iran.

Whom do we have to prove it?

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,358 Senior Member

Why was he in Iraq?

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,137 Senior Member

John Bolton, I imagine, is simultaneously ejaculating in his pants because we are at the brink of war with Iran, yet crying in his beer because he no longer is part of the inner circle in the White House.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,137 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    Why was he in Iraq?

According to State and Defense, planning imminent attacks against U.S. diplomats and troops.

@sherb said:
    Why was he in Iraq?

Skiing...see above :)

The big Q. If Trump leaves the Iran deal intact, would we be now dealing with this rather scary threat to world peace, (and loss of oil supplies)?

@sherb said:
    Why was he in Iraq?

Maybe because attacking GI's is Iran's response to reimposition of sanctions. Again, if Trump the businessman expects Iranians to act rationally instead of emotionally, he may be making a mistake. This reminds me of the "brinkmanship" policy of John Foster Dulles.

Can we quit acting like this POS was the leader of the Boy Scouts. Quds force has been designated a terrorist organization for years, I believe under Bush. They've been operating iin Syria for years. They've funded Iraqi insurgents and provided traing for years. The world is better off with this POS being blown into 1000 bits.

Don't terrorize ships in the gulf. Don't direct drone strikes in Saudi. Don't attack US embassies.

edited January 3 #29

@fishingcomic said:

@MikeA said:

@fishingcomic said:

@creekguy said:

One of the men identified by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo as a leader of the Iran-backed siege of the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad was welcomed to the White House in 2011 by President Barack Obama.

Hadi al-Amiri was photographed outside the U.S. Embassy during the siege and was singled out by Mr. Pompeo as an Iranian “proxy” abetting terrorists who stormed the embassy walls and set fires.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jan/2/hadi-al-amiri-leader-us-embassy-siege-iraq-was-gue/

edited January 3 #30

Yea we should totally trust these folks. Hey I've got an idea. Let's send them 15 billion dollars so Trump won't have to deal with them either.

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 147 Senior Member

What’s your point, Mike? Trump invited Taliban leaders to Camp David for the 18th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.