Some more Netflix Reviews

StevenSteven Senior MemberPosts: 3,788 Senior Member

Dolomite: It's not great, but there's some funny stuff. Didn't realize this was based on a real person.

Peaky Blinders: Finished all five seasons. ****, this is awesome.

The Witcher: So, I never heard of the books, never heard of the games. It just showed up on my algo, and I needed something to watch with the wife (finished The Crown). Timeline was kind of tough to keep track of. It goes back and forth in history without acknowledging it does so so there were a lot, "Wait, isn't he/she dead?" But it all came together in the end and I'll definitely watch Season 2. My wife watched the season finale sitting straight up with her hands in her mouth the entire time.

Just started Season 2 of Bad Blood, about the rise of a Montreal gangster played by the great Kim Coates. Season 1 was great and Season 2 is starting off better.

Replies

• tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,004 Senior Member

just watched The Lobster (movie) - weird, quirky, but not half bad

Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 147 Senior Member

Just finished Dolomite. I liked it!!! Definitely not what I was expecting since I didn’t know the back story but it was a fun movie. Good to see Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snipes again.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,137 Senior Member

I'm not a Springsteen fan, but thought "Springsteen on Broadway" was worth watching. Critics either loved or hated it. If you are a fan you probably should see it.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,327 Senior Member

@George K said:
    I'm not a Springsteen fan, but thought "Springsteen on Broadway" was worth watching. Critics either loved or hated it. If you are a fan you probably should see it.

Great show!

@MikeA said:

@George K said:

Great show!

My favorite part was the story about meeting Ron Kovic ("Born on the Fourth of July") and going to the vets group in Venice, CA, which was the inspiration for "Born in the U.S.A.", then performing that song mostly spoken, partly played bottle-neck on a twelve string.

Who knew the Boss was soooo philosophical and articulate.

edited January 5 #8

Another Netflix streaming show I watch and can recommend is Ripper Street. It's not the best, but I've become hooked enough to watch an episode or two now and then.

Ditto Versailles. Probably not as appealing to an American audience as some other fancy dress soap operas such as Downtown Abbey, but a lot more sex and violence. :)

If you get the disc version of Netflix, try Stan & Ollie, about Laurel & Hardy at the end of their careers, long past their top of the hill stardom days.

The new series, Mesiah looks like it could be interesting

30 year old review: Ken Burns’ “Civil War” doc is amazing. Halfway through it now and it’s really informative and fascinating. I’m sure most people here have seen it.

• Buffco2Buffco2 Posts: 57 Member

I know I'm in the midst of some hardcore gamers, but.... The Witcher 3 was the best game I have ever played, or at least tied with the Red Dead Redemption series. I was very nervous that the series would screw it up, but Henry Cavill knocked it out of the park. I did realize that unless you've followed the lore, you might not realize that the show is jumping back and forth in the timeline until halfway through the series. I feel like they could have slowed it down some to provide more lore and history, but it might have been to slow for the normies.

Just bought all of the books last night at a Books-A-Million. 130 bucks. Let's see if I can put the phone down long enough to finish them.

someone has to watch The Lobster, just so I can figure out if I liked it or not

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,788 Senior Member

@ShawnC2 said:

So we're trying to figure out what to watch next. Messiah has like a 90 Audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes but somewhere in the 30s by the critics.

@Steven said:

@ShawnC2 said:

So we're trying to figure out what to watch next. Messiah has like a 90 Audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes but somewhere in the 30s by the critics.

Have you seen Madmen?

No, but my wife has.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,338 Senior Member

An honest question here and I'm being serious...

Where in the world do you guys find time to sit down and watch TV let alone binge watch shows?

At best, I'm so busy between work and other things going on after work, that I'm lucky to catch the 10 O'clock news before dozing off.

honest answer: most of my watching is with the GF on nights that i don't have the kids and when there's no games and such to go to

So, the kids are gone and my wife has always had a very varied eating schedule. Assuming I'm not at the gym, I'll come home around 5:30, she has dinner waiting after I change, and I just take it down to the den.

So I get about an hour or so that way.

When I'm with the GF we are usually outdoors doing something. This time of year we have been snow shoeing or fat biking. Then maybe out to catch dinner and a few drinks. By the time we get home it's sleepy time.

Last night after work I went to the gym and didn't get home until 8:15. Took care of a few things around the house and the next thing you know it's 9:30 and I'm off to bed. Most nights that I'm not doing something else I'm at the gym for at least 2-1/2 hours after work.

Tonight after work I have dinner with a friend and some shopping to do.

Tomorrow after work is our weekly fatbike ride followed by dinner and drinks

Friday after work I have moonlight snow shoeing event and won't get home until about midnght.

Saturday I'm headed to the gym in the morning then ice fishing the rest of the day.

Sunday I'm biking in the morning then a birthday party in the afternoon.

I never seem to have any time to turn on the TV and watch it. Which is why I don't have cable or satellite. I do have a Firestick and Amazon Video/Netflix so I will occasionally be able to fit in a 2 hour movie but not very often.

It's how my wife and enjoy spending time together during the week. I'm not ashamed of it. I look forward to being with her most nights.

I guess I'm not one to sit in front of the TV. Even if it means being with the significant other. Would rather be outdoors active and doing something. I see the outdoor world as my TV. Also the same reasons I never get to pass the time reading a book.

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 76 Member

Have only watched 3 episodes so far and it is not netflix but Prime’s “Goliath” with Billy Bob Thornton and Wm Hurt is really good.

I watch the news (if I’m home in time) and then one hour of entertainment like aforesaid show.

• Buffco2Buffco2 Posts: 57 Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    An honest question here and I'm being serious...

Where in the world do you guys find time to sit down and watch TV let alone binge watch shows?

At best, I'm so busy between work and other things going on after work, that I'm lucky to catch the 10 O'clock news before dozing off.

We live in cities, so we don't have to fetch water or milk the cows all the time.

I'm fully retired, so I can catch a matinee a couple of times a week, plus, I stay up later than my wife so that's when I watch things she's not interested in.

Then again, the reason we have two good TVs is so that I do not have to watch singing and dancing competitions, and she does not have to watch too many body parts flying, Bergman movies or oddball British series like The Laughing Policeman or Pennies from Heaven.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,626 Senior Member

It gets dark here at 5:00 pm now, so there is not really a thing to do but eat and clean up.
    Not much can be done in the dark, so it's some time in front of the boob tube.
    I'm at the gym by 6:00 am (in the dark) and home by 8:30 or 9:00. 9:00 to dark is spent doing what needs to be done.

Summer is a different story, watch very little TV.

Lol...I'm just getting out of bed at 6am. That's why I hit the gym after work around 5pm each day and usually don't get home until 7:30 or so.

@NZ Indicator said:
    When I'm with the GF we are usually outdoors doing something.

Girlfriend??? Did we miss something???

I work the swing shift mostly so get home at 0030. I usually stay up and watch TV for several hours, especially in the winter where walking the dogs in dark + snow/ice is a no go.

@ShawnC2 said:

@NZ Indicator said:

Traditional U.K. boys night out toast - "Here's to our wives and our girlfriends; may they never meet."

• oldfratoldfrat Posts: 5 Junior Member

I watch very little TV, but was subscribing to DirecTV because they carried the RFDTV country music shows I do watch every Saturday evening. They took my monthly bill from $98 to $142, though, so I cut the cord. Discovered I could stream those music shows and a bunch of other good channels for $30/month on Sling TV. Discovered I could get a better picture via broadcast with an antenna than via satellite! I also stream via Amazon Prime and Netflix. More TV options than I'll ever need and the new HD antenna will pay out in about 4 months.

I envy you guys who can still spend more time enjoying the outdoors. I have mobility issues that prevent me from doing that much anymore and my fly fishing days are gone forever.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member

@oldfrat said:
    I watch very little TV, but was subscribing to DirecTV because they carried the RFDTV country music shows I do watch every Saturday evening. They took my monthly bill from $98 to $142, though, so I cut the cord. Discovered I could stream those music shows and a bunch of other good channels for $30/month on Sling TV. Discovered I could get a better picture via broadcast with an antenna than via satellite! I also stream via Amazon Prime and Netflix. More TV options than I'll ever need and the new HD antenna will pay out in about 4 months.

I envy you guys who can still spend more time enjoying the outdoors. I have mobility issues that prevent me from doing that much anymore and my fly fishing days are gone forever.

Sorry to hear that.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@ShawnC2 said:

@NZ Indicator said:

Maybe. Dating a lawyer now...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.