Get rid of electoral college...

Replies

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 23 Junior Member

It would be a big lift to abolish the EC, but there is an argument to do that. Majority rule, one person one vote and all that . . .

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,599 Senior Member

Majority rule? Or plurality rule?

What happens if there's a strong independent candidate and nobody gets a majority of the vote? This happened with Clinton, Perot and Bush. Clinton won the electoral college but didn't get a majority of the popular vote.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,194 Senior Member

Ah, its red meat for the base (unless a democrat wins, then the issue fades back to obscurity).

She of all people knows this is a non-starter.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,194 Senior Member

@Steven said:
    Majority rule? Or plurality rule?

What happens if there's a strong independent candidate and nobody gets a majority of the vote? This happened with Clinton, Perot and Bush. Clinton won the electoral college but didn't get a majority of the popular vote.

the current procedure would throw the election to the House of representatives. I suppose if the electoral college is done away with you could amend that section as well, to either let the House decide or do a runoff election, like they do for mayors and such.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,373 Senior Member

The states that benefit from the EC will vote against a change. It cannot happen.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,599 Senior Member

@sherb said:

the current procedure would throw the election to the House of representatives.

Which would be even worse. A Dem gets the plurality but a Republican House picks a Republican (or vice versa).

or do a runoff election, like they do for mayors and such.

Could you imagine having to do two Presidential elections in this country?

Maybe the Framers really were geniuses.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.