An advantage of Utah Liquor laws.

fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior MemberPosts: 24,373 Senior Member

If you win the drawing you can get a Pappy Van Winkle for $300.00

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Replies

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,576 Senior Member

How old? Our neighbors are mormon and have a ton of reletives there. Maybe I can get them to get me a bottle - hahaha.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,194 Senior Member

21 years. That's the reason it costs so **** much. By the time 21 years goes by, most of the mixture has evaporated.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,373 Senior Member

They are selling 5 of the 23 year old for $299.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 26 Junior Member

Utah liquor laws + advantage = x/0. In other words, it does not compute.

I've got my Class VI hook up so I'm good. I paid $9.99 for a six of Fat Tire Abbey Ale last weekend. I shudder to think how much that would cost at the State Store.

The increased allowance for grocery store beer to 5.0% ABV is pretty good. Not as good as the 6% they were going to pass, but a welcomed improvement. Lots of European pilsners and other imports are now available at competitive pricing in the grocery stores.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,331 Senior Member

There was a place here that sold Pappy 23 and several other things at retail which is 399. I wasn't even close. Some dude camped out for it over 24 hours. There was only 1 bottle of it. But several of the 20s. Clearly I wasn't dedicated (translation, crazy) enough to want it.

Got a bottle of Old Fitzgerald 9 year. Its pretty good

@sherb said:
    21 years. That's the reason it costs so **** much. By the time 21 years goes by, most of the mixture has evaporated.

Those two bottles Rile brought were 21 weren't they. You animials swilled that down like water after drinking a pickup load of Kings. That my friend just about killed me to watch.

@CO Native said:

@sherb said:

Those two bottles Rile brought were 21 weren't they. You animials swilled that down like water after drinking a pickup load of Kings. That my friend just about killed me to watch.

That's why I don't buy Pappy's. I like the strong drink too much.

Comic insinuated that I was an alcoholic at the Yellowstone Rondi. I informed him that as long as I felt slightly bad about consuming 10-high at 8:00 in the morning, I was ok.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,211 Senior Member
    edited December 5 #9

You should feel real bad about consuming 10-high in general. OMG that is crap.

One year on my Smith River Trip we were camping on my friends property there and we ran out of alcohol. He then remembered a stash of Ten High that was in the camper. Needless to say nobody drank it after the initial taste. We ended up passing the bottle around and spitting it at the fire to see who could make the highest flames.

Eff you and your craft beer and your fatbike.

Ten-high is not rad, but I like it. :)

Before I started my latest "diet" (no drinking until Christmas) I found a bottle of Blanton's. OMG, nectar of the Gods.

@sherb said:

@CO Native said:

@sherb said:

That's why I don't buy Pappy's. I like the strong drink too much.

Comic insinuated that I was an alcoholic at the Yellowstone Rondi. I informed him that as long as I felt slightly bad about consuming 10-high at 8:00 in the morning, I was ok.

In my family you are only an alcoholic if you are mean drunk. I was only concerned that you might burn the bacon.

@sherb said:

I am not going with you on the PBR thing. But that whiskey is not bad for the price. We just looked bad chugging it out of a half gallon bottle on the side of the road in front of Lt Knifehands.

@sherb said:

Ha!!!

I do like my craft beer.

Haven't drank whiskey in a while but when I do I like Bulliet.

@sherb said:
    Before I started my latest "diet" (no drinking until Christmas) I found a bottle of Blanton's. OMG, nectar of the Gods.

Hmmmm...may have to see if I can find that.

@sherb said:

Anyone who drinks 10 High would think that. I think Blanton's is OK.
    For cheap booze, I like Weller's green label. My son's commander got him a bottle Weller's Black label after the "incident". Now that is nector of the Gods. Problem is that is impossible to get without some connections.

My favorite bottle I have is George T Stagg....high octane but has a great taste

So I put my name in the Lottery for the Pappy Van Winkle. I have had it once and I really enjoyed it. Let's face it with me, you can bet there will still be some when we hit the snake. So let's hope.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,039 Senior Member

My favorite cheap drink is in fact a huuuuge bargain here in the U.S., Clan McGregor scotch. In the UK it is a middle-shelf whiskey, the 12 yr old is even better. The reason it costs so little here is that it is shipped in giant stainless steel tankers and bottled here, saving an enormous amount in transport and taxes. I've seen people choose it over Chivas Regal and other Highland-dominant blends in blind tastings. (Not that I like Chivas, my favorite blended whiskey is JW Black.)

If $38 (in Maryland) for 1.75 liters qualifies as cheap, my favorite cheap Bourbon is Bulleit. Going up a bit I like Knob Creek and some Plain Jane, nothing fancy Old Fitzgerald I bought at the distillery three or four years ago for around $40. A significant number of bourbons and ryes come from the same mega-distillery in Indianapolis, with various brands putting their flavor profile on during the aging process.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Huh. I've never had it but thought for sure Clan McGregor was lighter fluid with caramel coloring. You know, wino scotch.

Bought a bottle of this a few weeks ago. Have yet to crack it open. Any thoughts?

Unknown to YT.

@ShawnC2 said:
    Huh. I've never had it but thought for sure Clan McGregor was lighter fluid with caramel coloring. You know, wino scotch.

Bought a bottle of this a few weeks ago. Have yet to crack it open. Any thoughts?

Never heard of it. But, it's just wrong to bring it home and not try it. I'm like a kid with a new toy, I can't wait to crack it open and play with it - hahaha.

edited December 7 #23

Went out last night w wife. At dinner had some Johnny Drum bourbon. Had never heard of it before. I liked it and will have to find some

Never have heard of the bird dog either. Let us know how it is

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,074 Senior Member

5% at the grocery store? :D Tom Thumbs down here will sell you a bottle of St Bernardus ABT 12. That is a 10%

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Jeebus hates us, regardless of what the mo-mo’s say.

PA has screwed up liquor/beer laws but it is like a hedonistic post-apocalyptic free for all compared to Utah.

@ShawnC2 said:
    Jeebus hates us, regardless of what the mo-mo’s say.
    PA has screwed up liquor/beer laws but it is like a hedonistic post-apocalyptic free for all compared to Utah.

Yes but... the but being that Utah state store prices - at least for Scotch and Cognac were lower than PA state store prices the last time I was there. You are absolutely right though when it comes to beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.