London Bridge Killer

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 4,811 Senior Member

Very sad about what happened, especially as more details emerge, but I have to hand it to the citizens who held him at bay.

What's surprising is that one of the guys used an actual narwhal tusk to subdue the attacker. This begets so many questions....

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,373 Senior Member

Don't you routinely keep a narwhal in your car?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,811 Senior Member
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,140 Senior Member
    edited December 2 #4

Probably one of the last items for self defense that isn't banned over there. At least it wasn't banned before this...

edited December 2 #5

So turns out he was an Islamist extremist that had tried to bomb the London Stock Exchange. SMH

According to a 2012 article in The Guardian, Khan had been part of a nine-person plot to bomb the London Stock Exchange and build a training camp for terrorists. Although he had originally been sentenced to prison for public protection — an indefinite term until a parole board decided he was no longer a threat — his sentence was revised in 2013 to 16 years with an eight-year minimum, The Guardian reported.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/30/783850385/london-knife-attacker-identified-public-lauds-narwhal-tusk-takedown

• Buffco2Buffco2 Posts: 37 Member

Show of hands, who's surprised?

I am. It's not every day you see someone wielding a narwhal tusk.

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 26 Junior Member

Wait, Bushart stabbed someone with his narwhal tusk in London?

• bushart1bushart1 Posts: 48 Member

Not all superheroes wear capes

Just Sayin :)

@Buffco2 said:
    Show of hands, who's surprised?

Not totally. But then I would also not be surprised if he turned out to be alt-right nutjob, which statistically is the more likely scenario.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,599 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    Not totally. But then I would also not be surprised if he turned out to be alt-right nutjob, which statistically is the more likely scenario.

It may be more statistically likely here in the U.S., but not in London.

edited December 3 #12
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,194 Senior Member

Are we really gonna do this? What is it about Libs who have to "well actually" every time some islamic terrorist turns out to be an islamic terrorist? Its not like they're rare.

edited December 3 #14

Why is it Conservatives ignore right wing terrorism and suggest that the only terrorists in the world are Muslims or worse that all Muslims support terrorism? Remember all those "Religion of Peace" threads?

This started with "Who's surprised?"

No. What I'm saying is that statistically, a terrorist act in London is way more likely to be carried out by a radical Muslim than an alt-right psycho.

I thought your assertion was interesting so I looked up London terror attacks. According to Wikipedia, there hasn't been a terrorist attack (according to whomever defines these things) in London by somebody from the alt-right over the last twenty years.

Perhaps you are right on the more likely. But I wouldn't put much stock in Wikipedia.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/28/mi5-lead-battle-against-uk-rightwing-extremists-police-action

edited December 3 #17

Well, I’m surprised. I’m surprised that an immigrant with ties to radical Islam, who actually tried to blow up the LSE, was ever allowed to step foot in London again.

Who’s bright F’ing idea was that!

@fishingcomic said:
    Perhaps you are right on the more likely. But I wouldn't put much stock in Wikipedia.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/28/mi5-lead-battle-against-uk-rightwing-extremists-police-action

Interesting. The murder of Jo Cox was not mentioned in Wikipedia, but that may be due to however the editors are defining terrorism. For example, the 2017 Congressional Baseball shooting isn't defined as terrorism.

Who says that the baseball shooting was not terrorism? Certainly no Republican because it is brought up everytime a **** runs someone over or shoots up a Synagogue.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,194 Senior Member

Well that's left-wing terrorism AKA fighting for justice. Doesn't count.

Counts in my book. You will have to show me where it doesn't.

edited December 3 #22

@fishingcomic said:
    Who says that the baseball shooting was not terrorism? Certainly no Republican because it is brought up everytime a **** runs someone over or shoots up a Synagogue.

The FBI.

FWIW, Tree of Life was prosecuted as a hate crime, not domestic terrorism.

I think the key here is whether the perpetrator is trying to coerce or intimidate the civilian population. That's not really the case in regards to the baseball shooting, Tree of Life, or Jo Cox.

I guess they insist there must be a link to a terrorist organization. But most people especially congress see it as terrorism. He certainly had a political motive.

Tree of Life, the guy was a N azi, therefore the justification for not calling it terrorism does not make sense. I guess it is only terrorism if the guy is brown with a beard.

Nah. That's just a guy who hates Jews. He's not trying to coerce the civilian population or government to kick Jews out of the United States or something.

Again he was a N azi, that is exactly what they are trying to do.

• Buffco2Buffco2 Posts: 37 Member

Comic have you really no idea about the increasing numbers of attacks in Europe from middle eastern migrants?

From what I've been able to tell, the number of attacks by Islamists in Great Britain since 2010 outnumber those from the right. If one looks at death tolls and total casualties, the Islamists really lead in totals.

That being said, it seems the UK's intelligence service sees the alt-right as their new emerging threat.

@fishingcomic said:
    Again he was a N azi, that is exactly what they are trying to do.

Make more sense to kill Christians and claim they'll keep doing it unless the U.S. government kicks the Jews out.

I never said they were smart about strategy.

@Buffco2 said:
    Comic have you really no idea about the increasing numbers of attacks in Europe from middle eastern migrants?

Have you no idea about the increasing numbers of right wing extremist groups throughout Europe?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.