Christmas movies...

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 4,811 Senior Member

So every year we hear "'Die Hard' is not a Christmas movie. " Let's break it down.

The male central figure, John McClane, travels across the country to spend Christmas with his wife. His marriage is on the rocks, so he hopes this unexpected act, along with spending time with her, will save their marriage.

Unexpected events lead to her life being endangered. He literally fights his way to her, saving her life.

It also has Reginald VelJohnson, aka Carl from "Family Matters."

So the real question isn't, "is 'Die Hard' a Christmas movie?" but rather, why doesnt the Hallmark Movie Channel play it at least weekly? Maybe it's the absence of Candace Cameron-Bure?

Replies

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,331 Senior Member
    edited November 30 #2

Thanks for kicking this off Bream. I’ve been patiently awaiting this.

Lets not beat around the bush. If you don’t think Die Hards a Christmas movie you are an idiot.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,576 Senior Member

Because it doesn't follow the premise that Sherb posted in memes thread:
    The plot of every Hallmark movie is about a career woman who is too busy for love but she has to move to a small town where some handsome local dude teachers her about the true spirit of the holiday. Its snows, they kiss and there is a dog. Die hard is missing a dog and it's in a large town.
    Still, it's a fricking Western Christmas movie!!! "Yippee Ki-yay MF".

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,373 Senior Member

Moving from NYC to LA is moving to a small town.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,039 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    Moving from NYC to LA is moving to a small town.

Or perhaps moving to a bunch of small towns jammed next to each other.

Back on point: An almost 20 year old TV gave up the ghost, so the replacement is a 4K one that I found at a good price for last year's model.

On Black Friday Amazon ran a $9.99 special on a "Die Hard" 4K BluRay. It came yesterday and is spectacular on the new TV.

So, "Die Hard" definitely is a Christmas movie. After my third Scotch I could quite clearly see Santa's elves scurrying about giving McClane a little help every now and then. ;)

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,373 Senior Member

Now that you have a 4k, investigate Vudu. You can own all the movies you want and you do not have to store them anywhere and they often have deals on 4k.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,811 Senior Member
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,811 Senior Member

It’s a Christmas Eve tradition for us to watch it. I love the start of the scene w Al Powell at the AMPM where gas is like 96 or 98 cents.

• Buffco2Buffco2 Posts: 37 Member

Here comes this garbage again.

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 26 Junior Member

Buffy, you guys keep saying the Civil War wasn’t about slavery. You’re right. It was about defining Die Hard as a Christmas movie.

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 23 Junior Member

Is Ford versus Ferrari a Christmas movie? I don't think so, but it is an excellent movie.

I'm looking forward to seeing that one, GMB.

@fishingcomic said:
    Now that you have a 4k, investigate Vudu. You can own all the movies you want and you do not have to store them anywhere and they often have deals on 4k.

Our problem with streaming 4K is crappy internet service. Netflix 4K titles stream in 1080p for us. Although the TV upgrades the picture it is not true 4K. We live so far out in the boonies that the only thing available is DSL unless we want to get satellite and pay for many channels we would never watch. plus, my wife had such a bad billing problem with Dish before my time that my wanting it would be grounds for divorce.

George, can you get Harrisburg or any other 'metro' area TV via the old timey antenna? Does your new TV even have an internal antenna?

That's our only problem since we cut the cord a few years ago; no over-the-air TV. Network TV sucks narwharl tusk but I'd like to occasionally catch the local station's weather or network sports.

@ShawnC2 said:
    George, can you get Harrisburg or any other 'metro' area TV via the old timey antenna? Does your new TV even have an internal antenna?

That's our only problem since we cut the cord a few years ago; no over-the-air TV. Network TV sucks narwharl tusk but I'd like to occasionally catch the local station's weather or network sports.

This. When we cut the cord I bought some rabbit ears. They work ok, well as good as they used to back in the day. Still have to move them for certain channels

We tried three different interior antennas. Nothing but static. We're going to have to get a roof-top antenna.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,576 Senior Member

@ShawnC2 said:

We have an old roof-top antenna that pulls in all the local stations - PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox, all of which have from 1 to 3 sub channels with things like ME TV running old TV shows like MASH, Columbo, Barney Miller, WKRP in Cincinnati, various Crime and Punishment series, many court TV shows, Jerry Springer etc., plus a couple of religious stations I've not watched. My wife used to get all the Baltimore stations as well when broadcasting was analog, but digital signals from Charm City do not reach us.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.