"OK, Boomer"

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 1,073 Senior Member

A 25-year-old politician got heckled during a climate crisis speech. Her deadpan retort: 'OK, boomer'

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/06/asia/new-zealand-ok-boomer-trnd/index.html

We have a strong contingent of young climate change activists here in VT. They are quite loud about the problem of climate change. I agree that climate change is a big problem. However, they pound on state government to "do something" about it. I don't hear them say what the solution is. Pretty much all of the electricity in the state is, thanks to Hydro-Quebec and in-state solar and wind, renewable. The state has incentives to buy electric vehicles and we have charging stations. The state has incentives to weatherize older homes and thus cut down on fuel oil, propane and natural gas usage. What more should we be doing?

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,575 Senior Member

We should invite 16 year old Swedish girls to make mean faces at the UN. Problem sorted.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,073 Senior Member

She certainly made a mean face but what, exactly, does she want us boomers to do (other than hurry up and die)?

It's all hand wringing and lip service. Until they visit China or India, I'm not impressed.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,039 Senior Member

kinda enviro related

The conspiracy guy from within noticed something the other day

Saudi Oil suddenly went public for 1st time ever

Are they wringing that last cent before suddenly there's alternatives??

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 360 Senior Member

There's a lot of Angst out there, fueled by the magnitude of the problem and a class of uninformed activists willing to tell people there are easy solutions.
    Has there ever been a younger generation that didn't have a problem with the world the older generation left them.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,020 Senior Member

We're all ****ed.

@Buffco said:
    It's all hand wringing and lip service. Until they visit China or India, I'm not impressed.

This is a cop out. It's the "Joe K. Doctrine".
    'Well, we can't completely, 100% solve the problem so let's just bury our heads in the sand.'

edited November 9 #9

No, it's not. I said I wasn't impressed. I didn't say I would do nothing.

Who did those in the audience think Greta was talking to? They all applauded, then got on their private jets.

What has happened since then? Nothing. Any change in the two biggest polluters in the world? No.

What about those countries that account for the majority of plastic waste in there ocean? China, India, large parts of Africa, the Caribbean, South America? No change.

I'm not suggesting we do nothing. That's what the UN is doing. I'm not suggesting we can't fix anything. We can play a part. And just because Greta isn't going to China, I'm not gonna go light some tires on fire or haul a mattress to the river.

Who was Greta talking to... me. Well, I mean the point will be that I should feel bad and pay more tax so my conscience will be clear, but it really amounts to freak all.. Greta was co-opted, the big polluters will be ignored, life goes on.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,253 Senior Member

@Buffco said:
    No, it's not.
    Who did those in the audience think Greta was talking to? They all applauded, then got on their private jets.
    What has happened since then? Nothing. Any change in the two biggest polluters in the world? No.

Why is that you reckon?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    edited November 9 #11

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudley/2019/01/11/china-renewable-energy-superpower/#273728f1745a

Meanwhile Trump is whining about lightbulbs, calling global warming a conspiracy, and claiming turbines cause cancer.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@Buffco said:

. Greta was co-opted, the big polluters will be ignored, life goes on.

I think you and all the other conservatives have been co-opted by big oil.

Big oil doesn't discriminate between parties.

Because lip service. One party is seen as doing something. That's all that matters.

Buff--thought you were trout fishin---and tryin not to chew the end off your rod cuz your wantin some chaw

@Buffco said:
    https://forums.flyfisherman.com/discussion/comment/239046#Comment_239046
    Because lip service. One party is seen as doing something. That's all that matters.

Right because it has nothing to do with the bills the house has passed and McConnell is blocking. Or Trump rolling back EPA regulations.

@Buffco said:
    https://forums.flyfisherman.com/discussion/comment/239047#Comment_239047
    The sooner you realize the man is a buffoon, the better.

I have known it forever. You elected the buffoon.

edited November 9 #20

All of which only serve to siphon tax dollars from US corporations and ultimately, taxpayers, in a country that already does more to eliminate pollution than most all other first world countries.

@Buffco said:
    https://forums.flyfisherman.com/discussion/comment/239074#Comment_239074
    All of which only serve to siphon tax dollars from US corporations and ultimately, taxpayers, in a country that already does more to eliminate pollution than most all other first world countries.

And yet per capita we are the worst polluter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas_emissions_by_the_United_States

@Buffco said:
    https://forums.flyfisherman.com/discussion/comment/239073#Comment_239073
    5-7 foot seas past the jettys. Too rough to go today.

Go git some venison instead-

Here I'll put this here so I don't get slapped for goin off topic
    plus

We eliminated plastic water bottles in our house---went to stainless thermos bottles---works great

plus

I sold my 4x4 truck---cuz all I need it for was haulin my boat--don't need no P#nis extension--noam sayin--and my 2 litre ford escape is very capable---3500 lb tow cap. (although I push that when my livewell is full :) )
    My outboard is 4 stroke--cleaner , quieter and better on fuel

Our new house is insulated to the max---hey I'm tryin

There is one political party that says human-caused change is a problem, and the other has a leader who says its not. Simple enough.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,098 Senior Member

JFC.

first, we kill all the lawyers.

Wait does this mean I can sue my boss for calling me "Pops?"

Probably, but you may not win any money when the jury gets a look at you.
    And good luck getting another job.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    edited November 12 #29

@Bushart said:

@Buffco said:
    https://forums.flyfisherman.com/discussion/comment/239073#Comment_239073
    5-7 foot seas past the jettys. Too rough to go today.

Go git some venison instead-

Here I'll put this here so I don't get slapped for goin off topic
    plus

We eliminated plastic water bottles in our house---went to stainless thermos bottles---works great

plus

I sold my 4x4 truck---cuz all I need it for was haulin my boat--don't need no P#nis extension--noam sayin--and my 2 litre ford escape is very capable---3500 lb tow cap. (although I push that when my livewell is full :) )
    My outboard is 4 stroke--cleaner , quieter and better on fuel

Our new house is insulated to the max---hey I'm tryin

You aren't trying hard enough d-amn it!!! You need to run your entire life on sunshine and wind!!!! We are all going to die if you don't!!

So I guess you deniers are willing to cede the energy future to the Chinese.

@fishingcomic said:
    So I guess you deniers are willing to cede the energy future to the Chinese.

Why not? Trump has ceded our foreign policy leadership to Russia. Why not give the Chinese a head start on economic domination?

I've long wondered why we, as an economy, didn't embrace this and support more development of alternative energy sources. It's an opportunity lost.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.