If you think you are safe from being replaced by automation think again.

fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior MemberPosts: 24,253 Senior Member
edited November 6 in The Lodge #1

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/

The biggest group that has to worry, according to one of the people being interviewed, are white collar people like actuaries.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,253 Senior Member

Some of this is about how much will our culture allow. For example I will not use the self check out and if they ever fully automate a McDonald's I will not eat there. Not even for a McRib.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,039 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    Some of this is about how much will our culture allow. For example I will not use the self check out and if they ever fully automate a McDonald's I will not eat there. Not even for a McRib.

I too refuse self check-out
    keep peeps workin

Not only that but, I come to the store for the service. I don't work for Walmart.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,575 Senior Member

What about there people who service those machines? Design and install?

I'll use the self checkout every time. I'm not waiting in line.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,039 Senior Member

@Buffco said:
    https://forums.flyfisherman.com/discussion/comment/238851#Comment_238851

The same cashier machines will need installations and service

Again...why do you hate Murrica Buffster??

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,094 Senior Member

It’s pretty scary. Just look at journalists. All replaced by robots.

• LandoLando Posts: 60 Member

They put in the machines because they couldn't find people to work. The unemployment rate is low.....very low, but that is because those people are UNEMPLOYABLE. There will always be work in the customer service industry.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    Not only that but, I come to the store for the service. I don't work for Walmart.

I feel the same. Don't use the self the check out myself either. I'm not getting paid to scan my items and bag them.

@Buffco said:

How do your wages look on your W-2 from Walmart?

;) :p

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,094 Senior Member

Depends on how you value your time. My free time is worth more than gold. I'd rather be in and out of a store vs waiting behind a line of fats on scooters pushing carts loaded down with junk food to the point of the wheels exploding. Self checkout,, H E double L yes!

@MikeA said:
    Depends on how you value your time. My free time is worth more than gold. I'd rather be in and out of a store vs waiting behind a line of fats on scooters pushing carts loaded down with junk food to the point of the wheels exploding. Self checkout,, H E double L yes!

Except the self-checkout where I live is crowded with the same exact people you describe that half the time can't even figure out how to look up the items that have to be weighed. I've watched this scenario go down.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,098 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

You go to Walmart for the customer service?

You must be easily entertained.

@sherb said:

@fishingcomic said:

You have a point. There is near zero customer service at Walmart.

edited November 6 #17

@Buffco said:
    How does it feel stuck behind 14 people and still in line >while I'm in my truck leaving?

Living in a town of 10,000 people that doesn't happen here unless it's Black Friday.

Oh yeah I forgot.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,020 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    I'd rather be in and out of a store vs waiting behind a line of fats on scooters pushing carts loaded down with junk food to the point of the wheels exploding.

Why you dissin' on your MAGA brethren?

@Buffco said:
    https://forums.flyfisherman.com/discussion/comment/238851#Comment_238851

Yeah? All three of them?

@sherb said:

@fishingcomic said:

Maybe I should have said Piggly Wiggly.

It's an industry. You realize this has gone on since the beginning of time, right? Bought any buggy whips lately? Those guys are complete screwed.

Watch the video.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,297 Senior Member
    edited November 7 #24

I'll use the self check unless I have a bunch of produce. I hate having to look up the code for apple or onions or whatever; like I have that crap memorized. My rules is 3 thing of produce is ok. More than that I am going to the cashier

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,553 Senior Member

I'm not sure which I hate worse, waiting in line or checking myself out. Our local store can't hire enough people, yet at both exits are people standing with a sign begging for money. To be helpful I grabbed a "Now hiring" sign and folded it up and gave it to worthless **** on my way out.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,098 Senior Member

Ha, such a Gart thing to do. 😎

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,020 Senior Member

I hate when there is a line at the self-checkout. ****?
    I literally hate those ****ing machines. I swear at them when I have to use them. They are bad for my health.

"Replace item you put in the bagging area."

• "**** you!"

"Re-scan item you put in the bagging area."

• " **** off you dirty ****! "
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,297 Senior Member

Guys, seriously this goes way beyond self check out. Watch the video, you may find it interesting.

• EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,941 Senior Member

I've been saying for years that automation and technology would make the money system obsolete and this is another indication that it is happening, slowly but surely.

@EdB said:
    I've been saying for years that automation and technology would make the money system obsolete and this is another indication that it is happening, slowly but surely.

Actually Ed, automation and technology will eliminate human workers and not the money system.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.