"The only candidates for Superior Court rated "Qualified' by the Bar Association"

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 10,003 Senior Member

So reads a flyer stuffed into my Sunday paper plugging GOP candidates in Tuesday's election. This claim is 100% true, but conveniently omits the fact that at least one of the Democratic candidates is rated "Highly Qualified".

It's sad that Trump's shamelessness has trickled down to the judicial level. If these clowns are elected what sort of decisions can be expected of them?

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,073 Senior Member

I think electing judges is a bad idea. Sometimes they need to make decisions that could be politically unpopular. You don’t want them looking over their shoulder when they handle those kinds of cases. The only judges we elect in VT are probate judges and they are pretty harmless. The rest of the bench is subject to review by the legislature every six years. The vast majority get re-upped but sometimes things come out, like claims of sexism and poor temperament, that sends them a signal.

Example: https://vtdigger.org/2019/03/15/committee-recommends-another-term-judge-hoar-apology/

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,098 Senior Member

Idaho uses what's called the Missouri system, which is a combination of elected and appointed judges. The judicial council can recommend removal of a judge to the supreme Court if no one runs against them (and usually no one does). It takes a lot. Usually some combination of poor judicial temperament and violations of statutory law.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,098 Senior Member

the ABA rated Judge Richard Posner not qualified, a designation that is ridiculous on its face. the ABA is an advocacy organization, not a vetting committee.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,003 Senior Member

PA elects judges, and most of them do not show party in campaigns ads, but party affiliation doe s show on the ballot. This flyer was not the norm, at least in my area. All judges are subject to a retention yes or no vote after ten years.

I do think that electing judges results in political decisions.

Sherb - The local ABA "vetting committee" is carefully selected to be bi-partisan and able to transcend party in judging candidates. I know this from friends and acquaintances who have served on it, one a liberal Dem, and another a moderate Republican, a former judge and DA.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.