What Will The Politically Correct Say About This?

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,098 Senior Member

Good thing he's not running now. He'd be polling somewhere south of Beto in the dem primary right now and getting dragged left and right on Twitter. I just read an article today in TNR about how Buttigieg is too centrist for the dems right now.

https://newrepublic.com/article/155533/pete-buttigieg-still-fighting-last-war

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,253 Senior Member
    edited October 30 #3

Too right for loud mouth libs. We will see when the votes are cast.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member

I laugh. The funny thing is Obama owns it. He was the champion of identity politics.

@NZ Indicator said:
    I laugh. The funny thing is Obama owns it. He was the champion of identity politics.

Mundinger rules.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@fishingcomic said:

@NZ Indicator said:

Mundinger rules.

I have no clue what a Mudinger is or what Mudinger rules are but Obama spent 8 years stoking cultural and racial divide.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,073 Senior Member
    edited November 1 #9

Mudinger refers to a guy who posted here a long time ago. Invoking Mudinger rules means one needs to cite examples/provide proof supporting an assertion.

I don't think Obama spent 8 years stoking cultural and racial divides. To the contrary, he was pretty even handed on some difficult issues, such as the Black Lives Matter movement.

Example (read the entire article):

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-barack-obama-defends-black-lives-matter-movement/

Excerpt:

"At the White House, Mr. Obama said there are specific concerns about whether blacks in certain areas are treated unfairly or are more frequently subjected to excessive force by police.

But the president said people should also 'understand the overwhelming majority of law enforcement's doing the right thing and wants to do the right thing' and 'recognize that police officers have a really tough job and we're sending them into really tough neighborhoods that sometimes are really dangerous and they've got to make split-second decisions.'"

edited November 1 #10

The only instance I recall of Obama stepping in it was when he said that Trayvon could have been his son. Which compared to the Donald's daily dumpster fire, was really mild. Other than that, I always saw him as a person who was very circumspect in his speech and in his tone. He knew, rightly or wrongly, that as a black man he would have to carefully curate his speech, mannerisms, and tone.

I never understood this feeling on the right that Obama was divisive. He was a liberal and advanced liberal policies (some of which were unquestionably bad), but I never saw him resorting to identity politics to do it.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 360 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:

Obama spent 8 years stoking cultural and racial divide.

"Politiking while black".

edited November 2 #12

@Green Mt Boy said:
    Mudinger refers to a guy who posted here a long time ago. Invoking Mudinger rules means one needs to cite examples/provide proof supporting an assertion.

I don't think Obama spent 8 years stoking cultural and racial divides. To the contrary, he was pretty even handed on some difficult issues, such as the Black Lives Matter movement.

Example (read the entire article):

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-barack-obama-defends-black-lives-matter-movement/

Excerpt:

"At the White House, Mr. Obama said there are specific concerns about whether blacks in certain areas are treated unfairly or are more frequently subjected to excessive force by police.

But the president said people should also 'understand the overwhelming majority of law enforcement's doing the right thing and wants to do the right thing' and 'recognize that police officers have a really tough job and we're sending them into really tough neighborhoods that sometimes are really dangerous and they've got to make split-second decisions.'"

Sorry I thought I was responding to NZ

I get it, because you don't experience it racism is dead. But did you totally miss the second paragraph?

@sherb said:
    The only instance I recall of Obama stepping in it was when he said that Trayvon could have been his son. Which compared to the Donald's daily dumpster fire, was really mild. Other than that, I always saw him as a person who was very circumspect in his speech and in his tone. He knew, rightly or wrongly, that as a black man he would have to carefully curate his speech, mannerisms, and tone.

I never understood this feeling on the right that Obama was divisive. He was a liberal and advanced liberal policies (some of which were unquestionably bad), but I never saw him resorting to identity politics to do it.

Thank you.

edited November 2 #14

@NZ Indicator said:

@fishingcomic said:

@NZ Indicator said:

Mundinger rules.

I have no clue what a Mudinger is or what Mudinger rules are but Obama spent 8 years stoking cultural and racial divide.

It means you don't just get to say stupid thit, prove it.

Ya you gotta show your work. Been a rule forever here.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,777 Senior Member

....more like a universal rule in true discourse. Modern times have shifted things.

edited November 2 #17

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,575 Senior Member

It's okay to be white.

Nobody said it wasn't

But nobody was saying it was!

I'm just trolling.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,297 Senior Member

@Buffco said:
    It's okay to be white.

Only if you have sufficient guilt.

*JFC Buffy its a flyfishing board; at least call it drifting!

edited November 3 #23

I get it. But that sentiment is out there. For some odd reason there are white people that think that advancing the rights of others diminishes their own. I really don't get that.

I think that as long as one of us is not free and equal, then none of us are.

@sherb said:

Trump is definitely challenging him these days but Obama did engage in a lot of polarizing rhetoric, which I believe is one of biggest contributors to the political divide we are experiencing now.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,039 Senior Member

I won't venture too far into Humdinger Rules......But...

Bush n Cheney were quite good at dividing the country

maybe just quieter

@NZ Indicator said:

@sherb said:

Trump is definitely challenging him these days but Obama did engage in a lot of polarizing rhetoric, which I believe is one of biggest contributors to the political divide we are experiencing now.

Again prove it.

You have google. Learn how to use it.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,094 Senior Member

The country has always been divided in one form or another. It’s the natural order of all things.

I agree Mike. But I noticed an increased level of divisiveness during his term that I've never noticed before.

edited November 5 #31

@NZ Indicator said:
    I agree Mike. But I noticed an increased level of divisiveness during his term that I've never noticed before.

I was the sworn enemy of the Clintons. I thought they could be divisive. I thought GWB could be divisive, though it wasn't his natural inclination. And obviously Trump is Trump.

I did not see Obama as a divisive person or president. You are going to need to show your work. And let me explain how Mundinger rules work: You make an assertion, the burden of proof is on you to support it. Don't tell us to google it. YOU GOOGLE IT.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.