Made some Deer burger this weekend.

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 4,094 Senior Member

I finally had a Doe with no fawn step in front of me at 26 yards and I took her with a perfect shot. Got 22 pounds of burger, a few roasts, two back straps, and two tenderloins. Passed on another Doe that had a button fawn with her. Of course she decided to walk under my stand and get behind and downwind of me and blow. I've missed the challenge of bow hunting more than I realized.

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,039 Senior Member

Right On Mike

Tim n Moi---post pix---jus sayin ;)

Season opened here a few weeks back---I have not been yet---too warm here still

Challenging alright---what do ya have your bow dialed in at?---I'm not shootin over 30 yds

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,094 Senior Member

I have a Mathews Monster set at 70 pound draw weight. It's a capable bow out past 40 but I wouldn't shoot it that far. I don't plan to shoot past 35. Too many variables that can go wrong.

Nice--good eats

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,020 Senior Member

Just sayin'

What kind of smoker do you have, Rodney. I'm pulling the trigger on a Weber Smokey Mountain charcoal unit. I tried some food on a Traeger last week. It was delicious but not smoky enough. If I'm gonna smoke something I want that flavor.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,575 Senior Member

Mike, what broadhead do you use?

Swacker 100 g. I’m in the stand again today.

Looking for this guy.

Are you in the deer stand AND posting here at the same time???
    If so, that's like -10 Heero Points.

@Shawn C. said:
    Are you in the deer stand AND posting here at the same time???
    If so, that's like -10 Heero Points.

Sssssshhhhh!!!----he's comin

I was in the stand Shawn. Isn’t technology grand.

When does The Rut happen down there?

Ya know for the deer...not you personally :)

• tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,974 Senior Member

been out 3-4 afternoons a week plus a few mornings.....5 doe came out into dad's field about 100 yards below me.....have had a few pass by just out of sight from my other stand also.....been a little warm, and they are not on the acorns for the most part......my guess is there's fresh cut corn in the neighborhood.....but there's a group of 6 does that have been more or less together and on the property year round, plus a handful of others here and there.....since september we've had at least 2 different 8's, a decent young 10, a high 6, a big bodied, wide 6 that looks to be an older deer on the way down (definitely over 200lbs) and at least 3 different little 4's.......plus i'm sure we'll get more bucks showing as the rut starts to kick in

Halloween week is usually when it heats up.......rut peaks around nov 15

i hadn't bow hunted in 25+ years......picked up a PSE stinger extreme, first time shooting a release, too.......didn't realize how much i missed it, the new technology is killer.......i've only got it set at 60lbs, i can draw and hold that thing from virtually any position......release makes it nice

Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com

I typically call the Rut here around "Remembrance Day" (Nov 11--could be your Veterans Day)
    round there anyway--of course goes for a while--but over the years noticed lots of action round that time

I still have not been out as here as well been too warm

Bought a new camera and threw it on a trail nearby----couple does n fawns and this guy
    Seems weird---like they're just outta velvet and he looks like a couple points broke off already
    maybe a weird camera angle??

I'm in the same boat Tim. My father passed away in 93. I quit in 95, one year of hunting without my father and it wasn’t the same. The last bow I had was a POS not a PSE. Thinking back at when the only way to learn something new like hunting was to get someone to show you, or the school of hard knocks. No youtube or internet to get answers to the hundreds of questions about hunting and processing big game. It made me really appreciate my father and my grandfather even more for doing the hard work and passing it on to me.

I can’t believe how quickly the bug took back over. Muzzleloader season starts soon but I’m not really ready to put the bow down. The intensity of being in so close and personal is such a rush. I’m shooting a 10 year old Mathews now and it’s still amazing. The Doe I shot had about 10 other does and fawns with her (she didn’t have a fawn). After I shot her she bolted, but the others just ran about 25 yards and stopped. The bow was so quiet I don’ think they even realized what just happened. The arrow hit so hard it knocked a quarter size piece of lung out the exit wound. She was double lunged and didn’t go far. It’s not like it used to be that’s for sure!

Bush I found last years rubs everywhere on my ridge. Some nice ones too! I’m hoping they start making some new ones as the rut starts about nov 15th. If so I’ll have some really nice Bucks literally in my back yard. I don’t think this area has been hunted in at least 12 years. It could be an interesting season…

Do you have a grunt call and a rattle bag?

Had success in the rut with those

I really like the look of the Shwackers. I'd like to try them at some point, but my Rage mech and G5 Montec fixed blades have always worked marvelously.

• tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,974 Senior Member

G5 Montecs here also

we've had a bunch of rain the past 12 hours, really heavy at times......it's down to a light drizzle now, supposed to clear out and be light sun and calm wind, cooling down to 45 tonight.....hopefully they are on the move tonight

out this afternoon and tomorrow....MAYBE friday.......then saturday is youth day, i'll be taking zoe and her 7mm-08 out......two more weeks of archery (til nov 1).....then statewide firearms for 5 weeks starting nov 2......2 weeks of muzzleloader after that

i have a bonus anterless tag, same as last year (i didn't bow hunt last year)

got my buck first monday of the season, decent 182lb 7.......134lb doe on the first friday of ML.......

daughter can shoot one, she has an anterless for dad's property.......the girlfriend also has a bonus tag, so she can shoot one antlered plus one anterless......so hopefully we can fill the freezer, she's almost empty right now

Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • LandoLando Posts: 60 Member

It is a 5 point, not 10.

I literally just shot this foto 10 mins ago from my kitchen door

L'il spiker eating apples behind our place

cool to see

@Lando said:
    It is a 5 point, not 10.

Go back to your side of the Mississip.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,098 Senior Member

The one thing I've always wondered about is whether western count is just for Mulies. It doesn't make sense to me to refer to a 10 point Whitetail as a four-point. It just doesn't work.

Let's roundtable it.

I count total points
    I know guys out west say 5x5 or 4 x5 etc

But they're wrong---just ask me :)

@Buffco said:

@Lando said:
    It is a 5 point, not 10.

Go back to your side of the Mississip.

I never leave........

OK Boys...look at this Brute

My cuz called me tonite in a fever--caught this guy---mid day on his trail cam

Have not seen one of these for a long time

Awesome. looks like the rut has started early.

The Canadian deer start getting horny when hockey season starts.

@Shawn C. said:
    The Canadian deer start getting horny when hockey season starts.

I'd give up a bottle of chardonnay for a picture right now of a beaver puttin it to a Penquin

Hey Mike

Same deer different angle---man he's a beaut

This guy came wandering into the backyard this evening....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.