The Millennials Have Discovered Fly Fishing

13»

Replies

• LandoLando Posts: 67 Member

See what you can find out about Ackley.......I may come up this fall to try for a tiger muskie.

Crap. Maybe some millennial will see this post and go fish there.........dang.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

I haven’t been over that way this season yet. Bird numbers around there were terrible last year. 2 years ago they were really super. Let me know if you go, I’ll come over to meet up. Fishing season is done, but you can come (hopefully) watch some bird-on-bird violence if you’re so inclined.

Will do.......I have a few things in the works the next month or so......if it doesn't freeze up by Thanksgiving, lets go get some birds.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,046 Senior Member
    edited October 17 #66

@breamfisher said:

@Bushart said:

I cut my deer hunting teeth doing this

I had the latest technology---so I really have to tip my hat to my ancestors who did this successfully with open iron sights

Thick hardwood forests---you may get the distance of a trail to shoot---and those deer were not walking out

I kinda chuckled at the folks who used magnum rifles to hunt deer. In most situations a shotgun with slugs or buckshot, or a .30-30/.35 Rem would be more than adequate. .45-70, too, but they didn't have enough range (insert rolling eyes.)

Yup. I hunted deer in the Catskills as a teen and in my early twenties. My uncle owned forty acres of deciduous woodland where short range shots were all you would get.

I had a Marlin lever action .35 Remington, my father a Ruger carbine .44 magnum, both excellent brush guns. A family friend had some similar land in a shotgun only county where we used inexpensive bolt action 12 gauge shotguns with slugs. I never had a good shotgun until I took up pheasant hunting in my 30s. At that time I bought a Browning Citori.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

It’ll be frozen by thanksgiving. Most of the water has shelf ice in the mornings at this point. Have seen some coves frozen solid in the local reservoir.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,824 Senior Member

I should note that my comments about magnums and only needing a shotgun or lever-action only relate to the heavily underbrushed areas I hunted. I recognize that out west or in other areas a rifle with more reach is needed. Just saying they were overkill for how I grew up hunting.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,046 Senior Member

@breamfisher said:
    I should note that my comments about magnums and only needing a shotgun or lever-action only relate to the heavily underbrushed areas I hunted. I recognize that out west or in other areas a rifle with more reach is needed. Just saying they were overkill for how I grew up hunting.

That's how I understood it, and how my comment also should be taken. I see local hunters at the rifle range zeroing in .270s and 7mm magnums to use in woodlands similar to the ones in which I hunted in New York.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,824 Senior Member

Just wanting to make sure I am clear. That's how I took your comments, too.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,585 Senior Member

@bmmike said:

There is a horse archery club in the area. I need another thing to take up my time like I need a hole in my head, but this is just so dog danged enticing...

I don't know, but shooting a horse with a bow and arrow doesn't seem very sporting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.