Stable Genius?

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 4,747 Senior Member

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,747 Senior Member
    edited October 7 #2

and he continues. Didn't realize the US had captured the whole ISIS caliphate. And... is he referring to current territory for ISIS, or territory at some other time?

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,932 Senior Member

If I were Kurdish, I'd think really long and hard about helping the US.

And that's due to history, not just to what's going on now.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,046 Senior Member

And to think he wanted to withdraw the 500 or so mainly special forces personnel we have in Syria, who advised and helped the Kurds, who did most of the work defeating ISIS. Paging Jim Mattis!

When did he destroy the economy of Turkey? Or is he referring to another country?

The man is certifiable and should be in a strait jacket under heavy sedation.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,991 Senior Member

In my great and unmatched wisdom. . .

I'm stealing this. Its now mine.

edited October 7 #9

@breamfisher said:
    and he continues. Didn't realize the US had captured the whole ISIS caliphate. And... is he referring to current territory for ISIS, or territory at some other time?

Donny should check his 100% number
    Some allies likely have a different figure

Sorry Breamster---see now you already questioned it

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,991 Senior Member

I knew this guy would be bad, but honestly I had no idea how bad. '

his only saving grace is that the dems are worse.

Uh, that's good?

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,028 Senior Member

@sherb said:

Scary times.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,110 Senior Member
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,417 Senior Member

Wait a minute. I have a question.

Since this is the Lodge, I have to preface my question by stating that I am NOT defending Trump's quote. Here's the question.

I thought that ISIS had, in fact, largely been wiped out? Of course, there are still figures, pockets, yada yada...

• AlexAlex Posts: 83 Member
    edited October 8 #15

I voted for Not Hillary.....I don't regret it.....but politics has never much negatively affected our lives and I haven't been paying much attention to it......I don't think the things going on in DC could be that much different than they've ever been anyway....the system and it's processes foster the things that have always gone on.....popular vote...majority rules...rampant and constant demagoguery and pandering and partisan focus..America is the most heterogeneous, diverse, individualistic, competitive society on the planet......I've seen some stuff in my 60 years and I have an awesome memory.....we're doing very well....we always have.....it just always works out for us.....even things like real estate....we're always buying when things are down and selling when they are up....and it's not deliberate so much most of the time....timing just works for us....our market based retirements are all way way up......knock on wood....and they project our housing values are going to scream to the stratosphere for a long time to come....people are coming down here in droves.....I mean.....three houses of federal government.....constitution....amendments....supreme court....military..short terms in office......separation of federal and state powers....law enforcement agencies...strong corporations and private sector.....blah blah blah.....I don't think there's much chance of things going horribly wrong....

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,962 Senior Member

Sherb, Sherb, Sherb....

Look... I know you dislike the policies of the progressives, but really?

Worse than Trump? This is an unmitigated disaster on all fronts except for the SCOTUS judges you like. You have a 5-4 court for the foreseeable future. You may calculate that is worth the damage he has wrought but enough is enough.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,962 Senior Member

P.S.

I know you despise him but the foreign policy and diplomatic damage is incalculable. How would Warren be worse in those departments?

@Buffco said:
    Wait a minute. I have a question.
    Since this is the Lodge, I have to preface my question by stating that I am NOT defending Trump's quote. Here's the question.
    I thought that ISIS had, in fact, largely been wiped out? Of course, there are still figures, pockets, yada yada...

Nope
    And the Kurds that may now face the Turks have been watching the ISIS prisoners

Maybe Donny can get that job now

Largely wiped out =/= finished. They're contained, but there's still fighting. And as Bushart said, they're in prison, not dead.

Plus Turkey has a pretty bad relationship with the Kurds. Even worse with armed and trained ones. This, to me, is just as much about alliances and keeping up your obligations as anything else.

edited October 8 #20

It's not that bad....it's all going to be okay......it's been tons and tons and tons worse many times in the past......I just don't see the point in thinking about it or why so many people are freaking out......it's actually going quite well.....and all of the stuff that is going on to the contrary has always been there anyway.....and always will be.....pointless to worry about it and even more so to try and change it......I'm naturally a lot like a Taoist....always have been.....my wife said I'm like Winnie the Pooh.....when asked what if the heffelump escapes the trap.....he said....I'll sing a little song...tiddley pom tiddley pom.....that Winnie knew what was really important in life....it's finally getting cooler....we grilled prime tbones over mesquite and I had mine cowboy style......chimichurri sauce, southwestern black bean medly, sweet cornbread........today I'm going to start working on my new old hot rod truck project.....it's a 93 chevy regular cab sportside in factory red orange with a 454 and th400 with tons and tons of patina and I've got a pile of new parts to put on it...an more to order...tonight it's wagyu beef burgers and I'm making Vieux Carres (voo car-rays).....a very old New Orleans drink.....life is good......don't worry....be happy....

If it were just the politicians I'd agree Rodney. But it's not. They country has all but been separated into two teams. The media, social media, and even educators, put on their team jerseys and go to battle for their side. IMO it's no longer just politics. Don't believe me? Wear a MAGA hat or a I support AOC T-shirt out in public. I despise whats happening to this country and I largely blame the MSM for all of it.

Let's keep in mind the important thing. Trump got a new tower in Istanbul and all it cost was a few thousand Kurdish soldiers.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    edited October 8 #23

American society is the most heterogeneous, individualistic, diverse, competitive society on the planet and always has been....it's always been fractured into demographic groups that are constantly at odds with and working against each other.....after four semesters of psyche and other social science classes.....and a life time of observations and intense curiosity and interest...I know all about the concepts of who we consider to be 'us' and we consider to be 'them' and how we look at and act towards each other.....this fracturing of society is not a new thing AND DEFINITELY DID NOT JUST START WHEN TRUMP BECAME PRESIDENT and has been lots lots lots worse in the past.....nothing is going to change....it's only going to get worse as the global population increases and increasingly impacts the world and people start feeling more and more claustrophobic and impacted by 'others'....climate change....pollution....resource depletion....species extinction....increased levels of competition and conflicy...and there's nothing that can be done about it......politics in America is a SYMPTOM.....not a DIRECT CAUSE...it's an indicator of what is going on inside of us.....a tool that people use....a weapon that people use......

And the reality is.....our government was designed to have built in checks and balances that keep it under control...diminished its power and influence......and....all this partisan stuff that's been going on lately......has kept our government consumed with things and they aren't doing a whole heck of a lot else.....sure...there are things that are suffering and not getting taken care of because of it....but.....other things are going quite well anyway despite it....because....government isn't as significant as many people think it is....or want to pretend that it is.......because lots of people focus on politics and political argument and conflict because they are (insert mental or emotional state here)......frustrated...unhappy....feeling claustrophobic....miserable....feeling insignificant....disrespected....whatever.....not because imminent disaster is near because of what is going on in politics.....

I haven't always practiced it.....sometimes I've gotten swept up in things...but I learned a very long time ago about the power of the mind and the ability we have to change everything if we desire to....and what I'm talking about is what is going on internally.......I knew about it because I was intelligent....but I also knew about it because of experience....and I really knew about it because of observation.....there are sooooooooo many people in the world that are happy in far bleaker siutations with less....and that is the irrefutable proof one needs....the outside evidence......that defeats our internal voice and thoughts about things....just look around and you can find whatever you want or need as examples of the possibilities and realities....

I'm soooooooooo much more emotionally mentally psychologcially physiologically and realistically healthier and better off when I don't watch the dammed news and don't pay too much attention to what the rest of the hairless apes are doing out there......

@MikeA said:
    If it were just the politicians I'd agree Rodney. But it's not. They country has all but been separated into two teams. The media, social media, and even educators, put on their team jerseys and go to battle for their side. IMO it's no longer just politics. Don't believe me? Wear a MAGA hat or a I support AOC T-shirt out in public. I despise whats happening to this country and I largely blame the MSM for all of it.

Mike, I don't think the current divide is attributable to just the MSM or necessarily a new thing. I am almost finished with Ron Chernow's massive biography of Alexander Hamilton and wow, the divide between the Federalists like Hamilton and the Republicans* like Thomas Jefferson in the very early 1800s was brutal, personal and very, very harsh. Each side had their newspapers that fanned the flames, big time.

*The Republicans then have nothing to do with the current Republican party.

Another Trump supporter with tire tracks across his back.

"The Humiliation of Lindsey Graham
    He traded his honor to be “relevant” as a Trump adviser. But on Syria, Trump didn’t bother to ask what he thought."

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/10/07/trump-lindsey-graham-syria-kurds-turkey-229541

edited October 8 #26

@Green Mt Boy said:

@MikeA said:

Mike, I don't think the current divide is attributable to just the MSM or necessarily a new thing. I am almost finished with Ron Chernow's massive biography of Alexander Hamilton and wow, the divide between the Federalists like Hamilton and the Republicans* like Thomas Jefferson in the very early 1800s was brutal, personal and very, very harsh. Each side had their newspapers that fanned the flames, big time.

*The Republicans then have nothing to do with the current Republican party.

You're right and the way they used to settle it back then, one of the men sometimes didn't didn't walk away. What I've been harping about is how the MSM reports their own version of news. Fox does it MSNBC does it CNN etc. You can't depend on one source to report just the facts. If people are lazy and only watch the cable news channel of their choice, the're seriously misinformed. You have to dig for the truth on the internet, and even then you don't always know anymore. That's not journalism, it's activism.

• LandoLando Posts: 24 Junior Member

@sherb said:

Yep. Why do y'all hate the US?

@Alex said:
    American society is the most heterogeneous, individualistic, diverse, competitive society on the planet and always has been....it's always been fractured into demographic groups that are constantly at odds with and working against each other.....after four semesters of psyche and other social science classes.....and a life time of observations and intense curiosity and interest...I know all about the concepts of who we consider to be 'us' and we consider to be 'them' and how we look at and act towards each other.....this fracturing of society is not a new thing AND DEFINITELY DID NOT JUST START WHEN TRUMP BECAME PRESIDENT and has been lots lots lots worse in the past.....nothing is going to change....it's only going to get worse as the global population increases and increasingly impacts the world and people start feeling more and more claustrophobic and impacted by 'others'....climate change....pollution....resource depletion....species extinction....increased levels of competition and conflicy...and there's nothing that can be done about it......politics in America is a SYMPTOM.....not a DIRECT CAUSE...it's an indicator of what is going on inside of us.....a tool that people use....a weapon that people use......

And the reality is.....our government was designed to have built in checks and balances that keep it under control...diminished its power and influence......and....all this partisan stuff that's been going on lately......has kept our government consumed with things and they aren't doing a whole heck of a lot else.....sure...there are things that are suffering and not getting taken care of because of it....but.....other things are going quite well anyway despite it....because....government isn't as significant as many people think it is....or want to pretend that it is.......because lots of people focus on politics and political argument and conflict because they are (insert mental or emotional state here)......frustrated...unhappy....feeling claustrophobic....miserable....feeling insignificant....disrespected....whatever.....not because imminent disaster is near because of what is going on in politics.....

I haven't always practiced it.....sometimes I've gotten swept up in things...but I learned a very long time ago about the power of the mind and the ability we have to change everything if we desire to....and what I'm talking about is what is going on internally.......I knew about it because I was intelligent....but I also knew about it because of experience....and I really knew about it because of observation.....there are sooooooooo many people in the world that are happy in far bleaker siutations with less....and that is the irrefutable proof one needs....the outside evidence......that defeats our internal voice and thoughts about things....just look around and you can find whatever you want or need as examples of the possibilities and realities....

I'm soooooooooo much more emotionally mentally psychologcially physiologically and realistically healthier and better off when I don't watch the dammed news and don't pay too much attention to what the rest of the hairless apes are doing out there......

What the PHUCK are you blathering about??

The Gov't that represents YOU---has left a group that has helped you, vulnerable---just to change the channel on impeachment

The Gov't is YOU and YOU are the Gov't

And Mike---what does the MSM have to do --Even close with this??

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,024 Senior Member

@MikeA said:

What I've been harping about is how the MSM reports their own version of news. Fox does it MSNBC does it CNN etc.

Don't forget talk radio. Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck etc. The guys who get wound up about MSM, then spout their own version of "the news."

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

@Lando said:

@sherb said:

Yep. Why do y'all hate the US?

Nice to see ya. Hope all is well.

The American Handshake is worthless now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.