Democratic primary open thread

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,486 Senior Member
    edited January 17 #182

Billions. We should learn from the dinosaurs. They didn't change their ways and look how that turned out.

• bushart1bushart1 Posts: 311 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    Billions. We should learn from the dinosaurs. They didn't change their ways and look how that turned out.

check
    50/50 for the world if indeed an asteroid is preferable to 4 more years of your king

anyway not gonna derail this thread by trump'n further--it is a demo thing

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,202 Senior Member

The Dems do not have a candidate who would be a dead cert to beat Trump, but I think a Biden/Pete or Biden/Amy ticket could do the job. With Pete you would lose homophobes but gain young voters; with Amy you would not fire-up younger voters but would gain among women and mid-westerners.

I think that traditional conservatives and suburban women are the voter blocs that could swing the election for a moderate Democrat.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,902 Senior Member
    edited January 17 #185

@bushart1 said:

There has been markers out there

Bloomberg caught there's a huge unconsidered demographic----young eligible voters who by the millions took to the streets on Climate change

I think you're thinking of Steyer. Bloomberg is going with healthcare. Wrong billionaire.

edited January 17 #186

@Steven said:

@bushart1 said:

Bloomberg caught there's a huge unconsidered demographic----young eligible voters who by the millions took to the streets on Climate change

I think you're thinking of Steyer. Bloomberg is going with healthcare. Wrong billionaire.

Nope
    watched MB other night saying he sends big funds thru Sierra club to combat CC

add
    https://bloomberg.org/program/environment/#overview

@bushart1 said:
    PS
    If you think climate change is not an issue

Look at the marker this week

Blackstone investments announced----to boil it down-----if your not green---your gone

Of course they being the largest investor worldwide
    noticing now?

Uhmmm...that's BlackRock, not Blackstone.

Larry Fink (CEO) being woke isn't anything new. ESG (look it up) has been around for quite awhile now.

You want a marker that Americans on the whole give a **** about? Housing starts just hit a 13-year high.

@bushart1 said:

@Steven said:

@bushart1 said:

Nope
    watched MB other night saying he sends big funds thru Sierra club to combat CC

Maybe he does, but his ads here all about improving healthcare in New York. They're quite good actually.

It's Steyer's ads that have him parading with kids, we can stop global warming and save the world.

edited January 17 #189

@Steven said:

@bushart1 said:
    PS

Blackstone investments announced----to boil it down-----if your not green---your gone

noticing now?

Larry Fink (CEO) being woke isn't anything new. ESG (look it up) has been around for quite awhile now.

You want a marker that Americans on the whole give a **** about? Housing starts just hit a 13-year high.

Yeah--I knew Blackrock----had blackstone on brain i guess

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,464 Senior Member

Only rich white people care about the climate...when it's convenient for them to do so.

@Steven said:

Most definitely!!! My job is tied to that industry. My recent christmas bonus and annual salary increase were more than I expected this year!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/01/17/us-homebuilding-hits-13-year-high-showing-some-recovery-in-housing-market/#88fd3d158905

People vote with their wallets. Not for some schmuck who thinks he can change the weather.

@bushart1 said:
    FYI---there's money to be made in alt energy

Yes. Once it costs less than current fossil fuels.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,510 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    Nothing funnier than a bunch of overconfident Republicans. Reminds me of 2008.

To be clear, I'm not saying a democrat can't win. I'm simply saying those two democrats won't win.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,951 Senior Member

@bushart1 said:
    The Dems will not "win" the next election....trump will lose it
    to stretch it a bit----he's lost it already

Bloomberg may be a billionaire----but he's not one of the dumb ones
    he has tapped into what is going to win

While everyone keeps arguing the same old ---beat up---dragged out arguments of the 20th century---they forgot to look at the calendar

Trump the king of denial and remover of protections won't go there
    His coffin nail started by opting out of Paris accord----coupled by environment protection removals

Remember Parkland---remember the marches??
    Bloomberg goes to enhanced background checks
    Once again young voters who were in the streets
    trump loves nra

so it matters not who talks thru the dem teleprompter

couple this that trump polls behind harvey weinstein with women
    images of caged babies and fine people on "both sides"---does not sell well with hispanics and people of colour

From what I understand even if Bloomberg loses the nomination, he is going to invest a billion dollars of his own money to defeat Trump.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@Steven said:

@bushart1 said:
    PS

noticing now?

2008 again.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@sherb said:

@fishingcomic said:

To be clear, I'm not saying a democrat can't win. I'm simply saying those two democrats won't win.

Both of them are polling better than Orange Julius Ceaser in key battleground states.

MB might not be a bad choice at the end of the day

Money where his mouth is
    progressive thinker
    has experience
    could be more moderate than some

Uncle Joe may be worrisome with the gafs
    Bernie and Warren took it down a notch with the feud
    Mayor Pete I think is good----could use some experience tho

@fishingcomic said:

@Steven said:

@bushart1 said:
    PS

noticing now?

2008 again.

I'm not sure where you've come up with Republicans being over confident in 2008. Pretty sure given we were in the middle of the Great Recession and the Iraq War was basically going badly, that Republicans were anything but overconfident. Another difference was there was no incumbent. Not even a Veep was running.

A better comparison might be 1992. Nobody really thought Bush 1 would lose to Clinton, coming off a successful war. The economy did turn down though.

Only person confident about being elected in 2008 was Hillary.

The NRA would pull out all the stops on Bloomberg and his stop and frisk policy is a problem with the African American community.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,510 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

@sherb said:

@fishingcomic said:

Both of them are polling better than Orange Julius Ceaser in key battleground states.

Which I don't think means anything yet.

The literati are all convinced Sanders could win. I made the mistake of listening to them before. Not again.

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,989 Senior Member
    edited January 17 #202

A better comparison might be 1992. Nobody really thought Bush 1 would lose to Clinton, coming off a successful war. The economy did turn down though.

That was the Ross Perot 3rd party campaign. He got 20% or so of the vote, mostly from G.H.W. Bush voters, and got Clinton elected. Like Ralph Nader undid Al Gore's campaign. Perot definitely tapped a vein that Trump recognized was available.

Its interesting that all these nontraditional candidates are sticking with the Dem party.

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,989 Senior Member
    edited January 17 #203

@NZ Indicator said:
    Climate change is real. It's been changing for thousands of years.

A variability that shows climate is sensitive to changing conditions. Like changes in the atmosphere. Deniers say changing the atmosphere will not change the climate. Wrong.

The polluter says "fish population in your favorite river has always varied over the years, therefore my pollution can't be proven responsible for the recent drop".

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,202 Senior Member

@creekguy said:

@NZ Indicator said:
    Climate change is real. It's been changing for thousands of years.

A variability that shows climate is sensitive to changing conditions. Like changes in the atmosphere. Deniers say changing the atmosphere will not change the climate. Wrong.

The polluter says "fish population in your favorite river has always varied over the years, therefore my pollution can't be proven responsible for the recent drop".

Stop, stop I say! Stop confusin' 'em with facts.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 240 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    The NRA would pull out all the stops on Bloomberg and his stop and frisk policy is a problem with the African American community.

The NRA will pull out all the stops against any Dem but I do agree that Stop and Frisk would hurt him badly.

Also, I feel that Pete is polling poorly with the African American community because of the gay.

@ShawnC2 said:

@fishingcomic said:

The NRA will pull out all the stops against any Dem but I do agree that Stop and Frisk would hurt him badly.

Also, I feel that Pete is polling poorly with the African American community because of the gay.

He has had some ham handed responses to racial issues within his police department.

He would if you told him you agreed the rent is too **** high.

According to Farm Journal, which I believe is the monthly publication of the American Farm Bureau, farmer approval of Trump runs 83%, the highest during his Presidency.

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,166 Senior Member

@Steven said:
    According to Farm Journal, which I believe is the monthly publication of the American Farm Bureau, farmer approval of Trump runs 83%, the highest during his Presidency.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.