Just wondering

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member

Are we still not putting any of the blame on the the ultra violent video games for shootings?
Because I remember growing up with guns all around. Three at at time hanging in a rack in the back of pick up truck windows. They were common place where I grew up and there wasn't this kind of carnage. Not even the thought if it. Something has changed in this country and it's not the gun.

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,067 Senior Member

I don't know see how video games can be blamed. I played all sorts of shoot 'em up video games in the 80's and early 90's as did all my friends and none of them went out shooting people up.

I blame it on poor parenting skills and parents not being involved in their childs life.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,391 Senior Member

Young'uns.

Before video games, it was movies.

Before that, it was probably dancing too close.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,634 Senior Member

Don't forget Dungeons & Dragons and heavy metal music. Or jazz and Beatnik music.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member

Well, this isn't your fathers pac man. Today's gaming is far far more realistic. It's used to train soldiers in combat scenarios. It was used to to train non pilots how to fly into skyscrapers. It's real time team combat now with players from all over the globe. The rage these kids feel when a better player keeps sniping them over and over is real. I'm starting to seriously wonder if these games could be pushing people who were already borderline crazy, over the edge.

The thing about these games is it gets their dopamine systems involved releases addictive chemicals, very similar to a drug addiction. It literally causes cravings. They can’t live without it. They just get obsessed with it," McCarthy said.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/i-section/medical-professionals-video-games-like-fortnite-can-be-as-addictive-as-heroin/281-598330191

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,856 Senior Member

That's not just violent games. Mike. They're designed to be addictive. Candy Crush and Sim City aren't violent.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,875 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    Are we still not putting any of the blame on the the ultra violent video games for shootings?
    Because I remember growing up with guns all around. Three at at time hanging in a rack in the back of pick up truck windows. They were common place where I grew up and there wasn't this kind of carnage. Not even the thought if it. Something has changed in this country and it's not the gun.

They have ultra violent video games in Japan and the Japanese play them for hours at a time. Yet no shootings. Weird right?

The only guys I knew who had AR-15's back then called them M-16's and they smuggled them home from Nam. They also kept them hidden in the basement and only took them out on occasion. Now we have these sicko gun fetishists that have to have them constantly on display and pose nekkid with them in some twisted budoir photo. They have become some kind of sick fetish. The problem is not video games or even the guns. The problem is the gun owners who own them because they have tiny penises and short tempers. I say the FBI should put these weirdos on a watch list.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@MikeA said:
    The thing about these games is it gets their dopamine systems involved releases addictive chemicals, very similar to a drug addiction. It literally causes cravings. They can’t live without it. They just get obsessed with it," McCarthy said.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/i-section/medical-professionals-video-games-like-fortnite-can-be-as-addictive-as-heroin/281-598330191

Shooting an AR-15 does the same thing for some people.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,995 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

They have ultra violent video games in Japan and the Japanese play them for hours at a time. Yet no shootings. Weird right?

May because getting a gun in Japan is harder than getting a license for a motorcycle larger than 400cc or finding good American barbecue. Airsoft guns and non-shooting replicas are regulated as well as real firearms.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    edited September 5 #11

Theres a lot of crimes that Japan doesn’t suffer from that we do. Two cultures, worlds apart.

@FishTX said:

May because getting a gun in Japan is harder than getting a license for a motorcycle larger than 400cc or finding good American barbecue. Airsoft guns and non-shooting replicas are regulated as well as real firearms.

So are you saying if we get rid of the guns we will end the mass murdering?

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,995 Senior Member

Well we would have to get did of illegal firearms too. That will be difficult or impossible. And I doubt we would go as strict as Japan. We might be lucky to restrict magazine size in semi-autos. But somebody will come along and say that won't work, because switching magazines takes seconds.

Laws governing guns might help a little, but it won't address bad parenting and hate speech which I believe are the root. We need are broad plan.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,308 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

@FishTX said:

I don't know if that's what he is saying or not, but it is the only answer. If we ban and confiscate all guns, these mass shootings will end immediately. You guys want to dither about more laws, pfff... All the guns used in these shootings were legally obtained.

Legally. Obtained.

Confiscate them. It's the only way. Like Steven has said multiple times, you can't just put the tip in. So if you're serious about fixing the problem and not just wanting some feel-good legislation (that won't work) so you can attach your name to it, round them up.

Why not? It’s worked so well throughout history. Say goodbye to gun violence and hello genocide.

Trust me buff they don’t want to just put the tip in. There is a push now to label the NRA as a domestic terrorist org.

@Buffco said:

@fishingcomic said:

@FishTX said:

I don't know if that's what he is saying or not, but it is the only answer. If we ban and confiscate all guns, these mass shootings will end immediately. You guys want to dither about more laws, pfff... All the guns used in these shootings were legally obtained.

Legally. Obtained.

Confiscate them. It's the only way. Like Steven has said multiple times, you can't just put the tip in. So if you're serious about fixing the problem and not just wanting some feel-good legislation (that won't work) so you can attach your name to it, round them up.

The last guy used the gun show loophole after already being denied.

@MikeA said:
    Why not? It’s worked so well throughout history. Say goodbye to gun violence and hello genocide.
    Trust me buff they don’t want to just put the tip in. There is a push now to label the NRA as a domestic terrorist org.

Tell me about the genocide being committed in GB and Australia/

@fishingcomic said:

@MikeA said:

Tell me about the genocide being committed in GB and Australia. We committed genocide here in America against the Native Americans and there was no shortage of guns in the Old West.

edited September 5 #19

@fishingcomic said:

@Buffco said:

@fishingcomic said:

@FishTX said:

Legally. Obtained.

The last guy used the gun show loophole after already being denied.

It was legally obtained, comic. He broke no laws, nor did the seller. *Edit: Maybe he did, I don't know the facts about how he acquired it. I don't know what his NICS denial was for.

But remember, we're having mass shootings like every 10 minutes.

Take. The. Guns. Quit whining to us about doing something, and elect people who are for complete and total confiscation. There's your answer.

@MikeA said:
    Trust me buff they don’t want to just put the tip in.

Yes they do. If you ask any single one of them if they are for confiscation, they will crawfish and waffle. But they also point out that Australia, Canada, and England don't have mass shootings like we do. And they're right.

They don't have the political willpower to do what needs to be done. So let's take a tactic from their playbook and say the blood is on THEIR hands.

@Buffco said:

@fishingcomic said:

@Buffco said:

@fishingcomic said:

@FishTX said:

Legally. Obtained.

Correct however if we required background checks on 3rd party sales, he wouldn't have been able to buy one legally.

You're still talking about one guy. Just one. So pass your background checks on all private sales. Congratulations, you've solved nothing.

Either you care about the kids or you don't.

Let me put it this way, you keep fighting every single measure being offered, you will get your wish.

Your measures are worthless and represent the level of concern you must actually have. You know the way. Why wait?

edited September 5 #25

The private sale legislation is a way to force everyone to register ALL of their FA’s to stay in compliance. You know, even the unregistered ones that were passed down for generations. You have to know who’s got what before you start taking them.

I have a few assault muskets like those that were used to fight off the Britts that aren’t registered....

I also have a silenced Bow with a high capacity quiver too.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,523 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

Correct however if we required background checks on 3rd party sales, he wouldn't have been able to buy one legally.

I'm for this. We have this law in Colorado. Problem is that it's just another law that will be ignored or not enforced.

So my gun get's stolen (yes, criminals steal them) and this guy is just a thief, no need for it, so he sells it. You think he's going to do a background check? What does he have to fear? The crime is little fine and he's on his way. ACLU and liberals won't let us hammer 'em for this.
    We are just too soft on crimes using firearms and it's the liberals fault.

Why are these shooters who are caught on the spot still alive. The ACLU, civil rights and the left. You use a weapon in a crime and get caught, you get put to death. No appeals, no life sentence.

It's horrible to trample on these lowlifes civil rights, but it's okay to trample all over the right's of the good people.

edited September 8 #29

Change the fine to a felony. That was in the last attempt to close the loophole.

And it was the NRA and conservatives that would not let us hammer them for this.

@CO Native said:

@fishingcomic said:

Why are these shooters who are caught on the spot still alive. The ACLU, civil rights and the left. You use a weapon in a crime and get caught, you get put to death. No appeals, no life sentence.

That pesky constitution getting in the way again.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,808 Senior Member

@Buffco said:

@MikeA said:
    Trust me buff they don’t want to just put the tip in.

Yes they do. If you ask any single one of them if they are for confiscation, they will crawfish and waffle. But they also point out that Australia, Canada, and England don't have mass shootings like we do. And they're right.

They don't have the political willpower to do what needs to be done. So let's take a tactic from their playbook and say the blood is on THEIR hands.

We all realize that guns are allowed in Canada ---correct? (under testing and background checks of course---auto weapons---no------handguns are further restricted)

Sometime I think there's the idea we are not allowed guns here

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.