Home The Lodge

Fishing

NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior MemberPosts: 12,227 Senior Member
edited August 2019 in The Lodge #1

Returned yesterday from fishing the WY/CO area.

We camped the first 2 nights of the trip this year. Had a little surprise as a bear came into camp on our second night there.

About 12:30am I was awakened by noises outside. Zipped open the tent turned on the flashlight only to see a bear inside my buddies 4runner. The **** thing opened up the door on the 4runner and crawled inside and was raiding our cooler. We got out of our tents to scare it away and it ran down the road to the next campsite and tried to open the doors on a Ford Expedition but they were locked. It then proceeded to the next campsite, opened up the doors on a Chevy truck and raided some ladies tote of beauty supplies.

After it was all said and done we found out that the bear got away with a box of our oatmeal, a loaf of cinnamon swirl bread, a few apples, some oranges and some carrots.

Talked to a different camper the next day and found out the bear had raided the food in his F150...Same thing...opened the door, crawled inside and took his blueberries, strawberries, dog food and loaf of bread.

Bear had also returned to our car sometime in the middle of night while we slept. Tried to open all 4 doors after we had locked the vehicle from the first incident.

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,227 Senior Member

Other than the bear incident, the trip went well...

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

Nice fish, scenary and wildlife! North Platte? Yampa?

Kinda cool about the bear. Certainly something to remember and talk about. However, the bear has obviously gotten a taste for human food and will probably continue to be a nuisance going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future a game warden type has to shoot it, which would be too bad.

edited August 2019 #4

North Platte for the majority of the trip. Spent a few hours one day on the Encampment.

Yeah...the bear was a nuiscance. Never in my life had I heard of a bear opening car doors and raiding stuff on the inside. I watched the bear with my flashlight as it wandered over to the Ford Expedition at the next campsite, stood on it's hind legs and then started pulling on the door handles and then watched it do the same thing on the Chevy truck the next campsite down. Crazy. Have heard of bears raiding coolers left outside at a campsite, but never heard of one going from car to car and trying to open the doors and get in.

We ran into a NF ranger on the way out and flagged him down and told him about the nuisance bear. He said he would report it to the WY game and fish department

edited August 2019 #5

As a side note...All fish were caught on dry flies only...PMDS and tricos during the day and PMD spinners in the evening...for the entire week. We did not Sherb any fish. ;):p

The food pictured above...Tetris Tots...Found at Bear Trap Cafe and Bar in Riverside, WY. Delicious!

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Those sheep look scared, Joe. Just sayin’.

Glad you had a good trip. Nice pics!

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement