Speaking of the Dread "White Privilege and Foot-in-Mouth Disease Combo"

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,866 Senior Member

WASHINGTON (AP) — A top Trump administration official says that the famous inscription on the Statue of Liberty welcoming immigrants into the country is about “people coming from Europe” and that America is looking to receive migrants “who can stand on their own two feet.”

The comments on Tuesday from Ken Cuccinelli, the acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, came a day after the Trump administration announced it would seek to deny green cards to migrants who seek Medicaid, food stamps, housing vouchers or other forms of public assistance. The move, and Cuccinelli’s defense, prompted an outcry from Democrats and immigration advocates who said the policy would favor wealthier immigrants and disadvantage those from poorer countries in Latin America and Africa.

“This administration finally admitted what we’ve known all along: They think the Statue of Liberty only applies to white people,” tweeted former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke, a Democratic presidential candidate...

https://www.apnews.com/290fe000b4584ddca46a6eb36a74a703

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,866 Senior Member

What do refugees have to do with the changes the Administration is making, which apply to all Green Card holders?

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,505 Senior Member

Not only do the ones from the south stand on their own two feet, they run like hell on them after steeling whatever isn't bolted down.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,855 Senior Member

Your Beto quote about the SOL only applying to white people.

@MikeA said:

I'm still not understanding why you equate refugees with all immigrants. The Emma Lazarus poem is about immigrants in general, not refugees.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,708 Senior Member

If these immigrants are so lazy, how come ICE is always arresting them at work?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member

The "huddled masses" in that poem does refer to where the people were coming from AT THAT TIME...which is true.

However...The Immigration of yesteryear is nothing like the immigration we have today. In no way could anybody back then ever have predicted today's abuses of our country, our generous immigration and birthright policies and our lax asylum system. They didn't even have "welfare" back then like they do now which has just made the situation magnitudes worse. Back then, they weren't welcoming millions into a country with free healthcare, education and welfare.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/01/health-care-for-undocumented-immigrants-may-haunt-dems-against-trump.html

https://www.fairus.org/issue/workforce-economy/immigration-and-welfare

So all those people they arrested at work were on welfare?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

As noted in the link I posted above...

The immigrants currently being admitted into the U.S. are less skilled and less educated than the native population, which means they are more likely to inhabit lower income brackets and require public assistance

Given their higher poverty rates, it is unsurprising that data shows immigrants are more dependent on welfare programs than native-born Americans.

Translated that means they are working at lower paying jobs thus requiring welfare assistance.

@George K said:

@MikeA said:

I'm still not understanding why you equate refugees with all immigrants. The Emma Lazarus poem is about immigrants in general, not refugees.

It really doesn't matter what you call them. The majority of all immigration into the US is from non white countries. Which doesn't line up with the narrative put forth by Beto and many other headlines yesterday.

This constant racial pot stirring is tearing the country apart more than the actual real racism that still exists. Did you see the way the police were treated while responding to the shooting in PA yesterday?

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/06/17/key-findings-about-u-s-immigrants/ft_19-06-03_keyfactsimmigrants_mexico-china-india/

edited August 15 #12

@NZ Indicator said:
    As noted in the link I posted above...

The immigrants currently being admitted into the U.S. are less skilled and less educated than the native population, which means they are more likely to inhabit lower income brackets and require public assistance

Given their higher poverty rates, it is unsurprising that data shows immigrants are more dependent on welfare programs than native-born Americans.

Translated that means they are working at lower paying jobs thus requiring welfare assistance.

As a rule they are extremely hard workers and yes they are doing jobs most people here don't want. Like roofing in July, Aug, and Sept. I've watched this week as they covered about 30 thousand sqft of apartments with shingles in 100+ heat. That's freaking impressive! I have zero issue with south of the border folks coming here legally and even receiving gov assistance while they're busting their arses to make a dollar and get ahead. Just do it the right way.

edited August 15 #13

@MikeA said:
    As a rule they are extremely hard workers and yes they are doing jobs most people here don't want. Like roofing in July, Aug, and Sept. I've watched this week as they covered about 30 thousand sqft of apartments with shingles in 100+ heat. That's freaking impressive! I have zero issue with south of the border folks coming here legally and even receiving gov assistance while they're busting their arses to make a dollar and get ahead. Just do it the right way.

To a degree I agree with you. There is a small population of them around here working some farm fields and they make Christmas wreaths in winter. They are either riding bikes wherever they go or I see about 8 of them pile out of a Toyota Corolla at the bank on payday....No Joke...Probably because they don't make a lot of money and are more than likely receiving some sort of assistance.

However with the nature of my job in the construction industry...because of their lack of skills and education on how to install our products in buildings and homes...Our company ends up servicing their work which costs us money. The construction companies hire them...cuz cheap labor...and my company ends up fixing their f**k ups a lot.

@MikeA said:

@George K said:

@MikeA said:

It really doesn't matter what you call them. The majority of all immigration into the US is from non white countries. Which doesn't line up with the narrative put forth by Beto and many other headlines yesterday.

Define white. Because when my family came here they were not considered white.

BTW why is this a problem?

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 981 Senior Member

@MikeA said:

@George K said:

@MikeA said:

This constant racial pot stirring is tearing the country apart more than the actual real racism that still exists. Did you see the way the police were treated while responding to the shooting in PA yesterday?

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/06/17/key-findings-about-u-s-immigrants/ft_19-06-03_keyfactsimmigrants_mexico-china-india/

It strikes me that a major reason why so many people are so torqued about the current immigration situation is because, as you state, the majority of them are not white.

I think that perception is skewed because the media wants people to think that. My understanding is that there were people all skewed about immigration when the Irish were coming here in droves. They didn't exactly welcome the Jewish people during WWII either. Seems to me the US has always been a curmudgeon about immigration despite the race or religion.

The Irish were also not considered white at the time.

edited August 15 #18

I think most of the protest you see today has nothing to do with legal immigration and more about illegal immigration.
    If it just so happened that we bordered Russia and the migrants were all Russian then both sides could be protesting much. :)

People with Green Cards are here legally. Saying that we don't what people from sheethole countries has nothing to do with illegal immigration. Ending chain migration, incidentally after bringing your wifes family on the same law you want repealed, has nothing to do with illegal immigration. Have you noticed ICE did not arrest Poles that are here illegally in the big crackdown?

@MikeA said:
    I think that perception is skewed because the media wants people to think that. My understanding is that there were people all skewed about immigration when the Irish were coming here in droves. They didn't exactly welcome the Jewish people during WWII either. Seems to me the US has always been a curmudgeon about immigration despite the race or religion.

Yes, throughout our history we have had periodic bouts of agitation about immigration--some of it raced based, some not, but if not raced based almost always ethnicity/religious based.

In the 1940-1850s it was about the wave of Irish immigration resulting largely from the Potato Famine. The Irish were scary because they were Catholic. The Know Nothing movement was the result. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_Nothing

In the later half of the 1800s it was Chinese immigration, which caused raced based concern about the "yellow peril." From Wikipeida: "So hostile was the opposition that in 1882 the United States Congress passed the Chinese Exclusion Act prohibiting immigration from China for the following ten years. This law was then extended by the Geary Act in 1892. The Chinese Exclusion Act is seen by some as the only U.S. law ever to prevent immigration and naturalization on the basis of race." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Chinese_Americans

In the later 1800s/early 1900s it was the immigration of Catholics and Jews from Eastern and Southern Europe. From Wikipedia: "[n]ew immigration" was a term from the late 1880s that came from the influx of Catholic and Jewish immigrants from southern and eastern Europe (areas that previously sent few immigrants). Nativists feared the new arrivals lacked the political, social, and occupational skills needed to successfully assimilate into American culture . . . Many old-stock Americans worried about negative effects on the economy, politics, and culture.

There is of course a lot more to this history (the influx of Germans in the first half of the 1800s as a result of the turmoil in Germany in 1848, the influx of Scandinavians in the 1800s to the upper Midwest, etc.

Fast forward to current times and we have a President who calls immigrants from Mexico rapists and murders, and who sought a ban on immigration from Muslim countries. I can't come to any conclusion other than a lot of the opposition to the current immigration patterns is based on racism and/or religious intolerance.

edited August 15 #21

So...interesting...Back in 1882 there were bunch of bad as-ses...

The Immigration Act of 1882 was a United States federal law signed by President Chester A. Arthur on August 3, 1882. It imposed a head tax on noncitizens of the United States who came to American ports and restricted certain classes of people from immigrating to America, including criminals, the insane, or "any person unable to take care of him or herself."

In addition to the head tax, the Act also stipulated the responsibility of government agents to inspect ports and vessels bringing immigrants into the country.

This then led to the second historically significant component of the Act. Upon inquiry of the vessels transporting immigrants, immigration officials were given the authority to expel certain immigrants based on criteria laid out within the Act. The legislation dictated that "If on such examination there shall be found among such passengers any convict, lunatic, idiot, or any person unable to take care of him or herself without becoming a public charge, they shall report the same in writing to the collector of such port, and such person shall not be permitted to land."

There's alot of hyperbole on both sides to get what they want. Border walls on one side, one term potus on the other.

http://www.newstandardpress.com/trump-mexicans-and-the-media/

I'd add that I agree with you that his words at times are very divisive and not what I would expect from a US Pres. Because of it I think his support is waning. That said, I still don't see anyone I'd choose at this point...

President Trump is really good at dog whistling. I think he is a racist.

FWIW: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/15/opinion/leonhardt-trump-racist.html

President Chester A. Arthur

As Obi Wan once said, "Now's there's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long Time"

Not the worst of Presidents, but pretty close to the bottom pf the barrel.

Hey, he wasn’t too bad. Got rid of the patronage system. And was originally from VT (although he was the subject of a “birther” controversy. There are some who say he was born in, gasp, Canada).

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,792 Senior Member

@George K said:
    President Chester A. Arthur

As Obi Wan once said, "Now's there's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long Time"

Not the worst of Presidents, but pretty close to the bottom pf the barrel.

oh, you in for it now. This the most famous alum of Union College. . .

Which is also where the dearly departed Hextall went to College. Maybe this will foster an Ali-like return to the ring for our little buddy.

Good thing I'm not on Facebook. ;)

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,961 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:

Horse [email protected] They said the same about the Chinese, Italian and Irish in the past and those people worked hard. Look where their decedents are today.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

@NZ Indicator said:
    So...interesting...Back in 1882 there were bunch of bad as-ses...

The Immigration Act of 1882 was a United States federal law signed by President Chester A. Arthur on August 3, 1882. It imposed a head tax on noncitizens of the United States who came to American ports and restricted certain classes of people from immigrating to America, including criminals, the insane, or "any person unable to take care of him or herself."

This was to keep out the "cripples." Maybe not a good example to support your argument.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.