Donaldson trout - ever hear of them?

CO NativeCO Native Senior MemberPosts: 1,577 Senior Member

So they rebuilt the dam on one of the private lakes I belong to. Dug the lake deeper and made it better.
When they restocked it, they stocked them with Donaldson trout.
I've never heard of them, but their growth is tremendous and they fight like h e l l. Hooked 3 of them today. The first was only about 16 inches but I thought I had a 24 incher on. The other two were both over 19 and I was flat tuckered out after landing them.

I think this should be the only type of trout on earth after today.

Replies

• LokioneLokione Posts: 17 Junior Member

As a kid growing up in Seattle they stocked a city lake[ Green lake ]with them. I watched two rods in one day fly off the dock never to be seen again.This would have been in the early 60 's and then never heard about the game Department doing any other stocking. I caught one about 7lbs. on my Dads one pcs. salmon rod.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,039 Senior Member
    edited August 14 #3

For the sake of peace and civility I hope that they are not Donaldsonsfredo Trout.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,030 Senior Member

From what I just Googled, they're a steelhead hybrid developed in the 1940's that do fight like the devil and grow up to about seven pounds. They're stocked in the Great Lakes and a few other places.

Jim

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,039 Senior Member

Most of the steelhead I've caught in Erie tribs run 5-8 lbs, although I've had a few that went well into double figures. They are a lot of fun on six weight rods. Could be that these Donaldsons are among them.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.