Don't call him Fredo. . .I guess.

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,990 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

@Steven said:

The question is whether the guy was racist (given that in PC-land skin color no longer matters and ethnicity now equals race).

First I can't believe the amount of energy you guys are putting into this stupidity. But ydfuq does that even matter sooooo dam much to you? Why must it not be about Cuomo ethnicity? Why do you guys get soo excited to the point of drooling over defending an offensive remark. "IT'S NOT RACIST!!!!!!!" at the top of your stupid lungs.

You sound like a petulant child anymore. What happened?

Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,950 Senior Member

@Buford said:

@fishingcomic said:

@Steven said:

The question is whether the guy was racist (given that in PC-land skin color no longer matters and ethnicity now equals race).

First I can't believe the amount of energy you guys are putting into this stupidity. But ydfuq does that even matter sooooo dam much to you? Why must it not be about Cuomo ethnicity? Why do you guys get soo excited to the point of drooling over defending an offensive remark. "IT'S NOT RACIST!!!!!!!" at the top of your stupid lungs.

You sound like a petulant child anymore. What happene

Never mind. pearls before swine and all that.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,902 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

@Steven said:

For me? It's because words matter. Libs are dumbing down racism and diluting its meaning and harmfulness.

It's no different than calling somebody a [email protected]

Btw, I'm sure Rush Limbaugh loves calling him Fredo in part because he's Italian. So it uses Cuomo's ethnicity. But does it insult his ethnicity?

edited August 2019 #95

Dumbing down racism. Yeah right.

Let's see what is not racist according to conservatives.
    Shooting black people in a church
    Cops shooting unarmed 12 year old children
    Birtherism
    Obama Waffles
    Obama with a bone in his nose
    Calling Mexicans rap ists
    Calling Michelle a gorilla in heels.
    Everything that comes out of Steve Kings Mouth
    And so much more....

And this seems to be the only time words matter.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,510 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

Shooting black people in a church-RACIST

Cops shooting unarmed 12 year old children-TRAGIC. NOT RACIST

Birtherism-WASH

Obama Waffles_UNKNOWN CONTEXT

Obama with a bone in his nose-RACIST

Calling Mexicans rap ists- DEPENDS

Calling Michelle a gorilla in heels -RACIST

Everything that comes out of Steve Kings Mouth- RACIST

And so much more....

words matter. context matters.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,902 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

Shooting black people in a church
    Cops shooting unarmed 12 year old children
    Birtherism
    Obama Waffles
    Obama with a bone in his nose
    Calling Mexicans rap ists
    Calling Michelle a gorilla in heels.
    Everything that comes out of Steve Kings Mouth
    And so much more....

I'm happy to agree with sherb.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Mmmmm... waffles.

@sherb said:

@fishingcomic said:

Shooting black people in a church-RACIST

Cops shooting unarmed 12 year old children-TRAGIC. NOT RACIST

Birtherism-WASH

Obama Waffles_UNKNOWN CONTEXT

Obama with a bone in his nose-RACIST

Calling Mexicans rap ists- DEPENDS

Calling Michelle a gorilla in heels -RACIST

Everything that comes out of Steve Kings Mouth- RACIST

And so much more....

words matter. context matters.

Conservatives would excuse a man saying lets go hang us a n-word and say it is about embracing our heritage. That's your context.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,486 Senior Member

Why is it that the one guy who's post are 90% about some sort of PC injustice, always uses political affiliation to blame others. Isn't that the same simple minded mentality you're constantly on here railing on and on about?

@fishingcomic said:

Conservatives would excuse a man saying lets go hang us a n-word and say it is about embracing our heritage. That's your context.

wow, this is really. . . what's the word I'm looking for here. . .stupid?

100 comments on this thread because a few of us pushed back on the idea that calling someone Fredo was a "racial" slur. That's YOUR context.

No the comments are you guys defending a boorish doooshbag.

@MikeA said:
    Why is it that the one guy who's post are 90% about some sort of PC injustice, always uses political affiliation to blame others. Isn't that the same simple minded mentality you're constantly on here railing on and on about?

And your posts are 90% defending racist behavior or language. I don't expect any less from a man that refuses to admit that racism exists while making questionable comments of your own.

boorish is not a synonym for racist (although maybe given the deeply corrupted language we use today, everything can be). And anyway, what "race" is Chris Cuomo?

Again I told you my family's story with discrimination. But again according to you guys bigotry does not exist in America. And spare me the words matter argument. You people are just uncomfortable with any discussion on race and bigotry that frames white people in a bad light.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,486 Senior Member

Racism from most races certainly exists. I just choose not to make it my life's ambition to identify it in every possible incident.

@MikeA said:
    Racism from most races certainly exists. I just choose not to make it my life's ambition to identify it in every possible incident.

No you make it your lifes mission to deny it in every possible incident.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,202 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    No the comments are you guys defending a boorish doooshbag.

Please, someone point out to me again all the the posts wherein the jerk Cuomo engaged with was defended.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

All of them

Really - show quotes defending the person rather than questioning your interpretation of the word, please.

And to repeat Sherb's question - what "race" is Cuomo?

let me put it this way, when my mother was growing up, she was not white.

That's an opinion some would not share.

What "race" is Cuomo?

@George K said:
    Really - show quotes defending the person rather than questioning your interpretation of the word, please.

And to repeat Sherb's question - what "race" is Cuomo?

By questioning Cuomo's perspective you are defending the person.

@George K said:

What "race" is Cuomo?

Some but not all. Even my generation had to put up with slurs. Just because an experience is not your own does not mean it does not exist.

What "race" are Mexicans?

@fishingcomic said:

White, according to the census. Mexican is a nationality, not a race.

@fishingcomic said:

@George K said:

What "race" is Cuomo?

Some but not all. Even my generation had to put up with slurs. Just because an experience is not your own does not mean it does not exist.

I've put up with plenty of slurs myself, both for the non-white part of me, and the "untermenschen" white part of me, so please do not presume to lecture me about race, ethnicity and nationality, the difference among which you do not seem to understand.

In any event, "race" is an artificial construct with no scientific basis. It is a shorthand term for certain combinations of skin tone, facial, hair and body feature combinations that we associate with various peoples. That's all.

BTW - I invite you to pick natives from the Piedmont, the Abruzzo and the South, stand them together and then tell me with a straight face that there is an Italian "ethnicity", much less an Italian "race". Nationality yes, but only since the late 19th century.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,416 Senior Member

I find it interesting that some peoples personal narratives are somehow always relevant, yet those of others are frequently dismissed.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,416 Senior Member

@George K said:

@fishingcomic said:

@George K said:

What "race" is Cuomo?

I've put up with plenty of slurs myself, both for the non-white part of me, and the "untermenschen" white part of me, so please do not presume to lecture me about race, ethnicity and nationality, the difference among which you do not seem to understand.

Says that man that presumes to lecture me.

I give up. Your mindset is implacably dense.

Over and out.

edited August 2019 #121

For some reason you need to differentiate between slurs based on concept of race (which is an ever evolving concept) and those based on nationality. A distinction without a difference. Now I am out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.