Don't call him Fredo. . .I guess.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,000 Senior Member

@George K said:
    OK. I haven't seen the clip so I can't say in context that ethnicity has nothing to do with it. But "Fredo" long has had the meaning of the dimwitted brother.

I have never once heard it use in a sentence.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,662 Senior Member

If everyone in this country was 1/10 as sensitive as Comic is, we'd be speaking some other language. Maybe even Canadian eh?

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member

I still refuse to say I'm going raccoon hunting, though.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member

@Buffco said:
    I still refuse to say I'm going raccoon hunting, though.

Well what would ya say then?? ;)

@CO Native said:
    If everyone in this country was 1/10 as sensitive as Comic is, we'd be speaking some other language. Maybe even Canadian eh?

Why is it so important for you to defend this doosh?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,205 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

@George K said:
    OK. I haven't seen the clip so I can't say in context that ethnicity has nothing to do with it. But "Fredo" long has had the meaning of the dimwitted brother.

I have never once heard it use in a sentence.

I have, many times, almost all of them not referring to anyone of Italian descent. Then again I lived many years overseas, and since 1995 have lived in south-central PA, not NY or CA.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member

Try goin thru life with your last name starting with an "O"

Of course you must be Irish---drink n fight right?

Yup that's me....Bushart O'Nothimagain :)

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,991 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    No you guys get a grip. You are stretching all over the planet to defend a dooshnozzle. I am saying it was not unreasonable to assume this was about his ethnicity. What I don't get is why was it necessary for you guys to pick this fight?

There is that word.

Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,418 Senior Member

This just in Fredo is an American.

This whole thing is so [email protected]$%ing stupid. My great grandpa was straight off boat Italian. Do I go around calling myself Italian. No. I’m an American. Would I go to Europe and say I’m Italian. No. I’m American.

Sure be proud of your ancestry. But be proud of being an American.

@Buford said:

@fishingcomic said:
    No you guys get a grip. You are stretching all over the planet to defend a dooshnozzle. I am saying it was not unreasonable to assume this was about his ethnicity. What I don't get is why was it necessary for you guys to pick this fight?

There is that word.

Wait, there is one you know?

@jbilly said:
    This just in Fredo is an American.
    This whole thing is so [email protected]$%ing stupid. My great grandpa was straight off boat Italian. Do I go around calling myself Italian. No. I’m an American. Would I go to Europe and say I’m Italian. No. I’m American.
    Sure be proud of your ancestry. But be proud of being an American.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030355/uploads/559/3E495U4EFN02.jpeg

Once again if it doesn't happen to you, it does not exist. In my family we proudly proclaim our heritage.

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,991 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

@Buford said:

@fishingcomic said:

There is that word.

Wait, there is one you know?

Knew a whole family of Italians I went to school with the two brothers they were my friends. They had no problems out and about. When their uncle had a party Danny would come and get me because when he had a party there were a group of Pittsburgh Pirates at his house.

Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

Well then you know more about it than I do I mean I only have a family and my own personal experiences to go on.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,662 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #75

@fishingcomic said:
    Why is it so important for you to defend this doosh?

I'm NOT defending that moron, I'm saying your skin is about as thick as rice paper and you whine about everything.
    I can type anything I want here and it won't cause broken bones or stitches, so toughen up buttercup.

edited August 2019 #76

I whine? All you conservatives do is whine. Can you believe who is in the stall next to me in the bathroom? Why can't I call black people the N word? They do it all the time. Why is the guy at Target saying Happy Holidays? You guys spend your whole lives complaining about the trivial.

And yes you are defending that moron. I wish Cuomo had knocked the **** out. Racist or not the jerk was looking for a fight. But you had to focus on not his crass and ignorant behavior, but whether or not Fredo had anything to do with ethnicity. So yes you are defending him.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,915 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    Well then you know more about it than I do I mean I only have a family and my own personal experiences to go on.

Just wondering...Do you buy Cuomo's claim that calling an Italian "Fredo" is akin to calling African-Americans the n-word?

Cuz African-American leaders ain't buying it.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,205 Senior Member

Another POV.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/13/italian-americans-pan-chris-cuomos-fredo-ethnic-slur-claim/

"talian American New Yorkers weighed in Tuesday on Chris Cuomo’s claim that “Fredo” is an ethnic slur — and while they said it’s insulting, the agreement was that anyone who likens it to the N-word is stunad.

“If anything, when we call somebody ‘Fredo’ it’s like [to say they’re] stupid,” said a worker at Bensonhurst bakery Villabate Alba, who gave her name as Angela. “If somebody were to call me ‘Fredo,’ I would be like, ‘OK, you too.’ … Not like the N-word. That’s another level.”...

...Even those who investigated — and participated in — organized crime panned Cuomo for taking the bait.

“It took a page right out of Fredo’s book,” said one retired police source who investigated the mob for years. “If he was more like Michael [Corleone] he would’ve dealt with it quietly later, and there would’ve been no fingerprints.”

One mob associate told The Post, “That sounds like the rant of a 20-year-old hothead, not somebody who’s a professional and has his own family … It almost sounds like this guy hit a raw nerve.”

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    edited August 2019 #79

Yeah even I would not equate it with the N word.

Don't you find it kind of repugnant though that when looking for Italian Americans for their point of view, they had to talk to a Mob Associate?

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,554 Senior Member

Hey Guinea. . . :)

Why does the normally staid and Genteel Cuomo sound like a guido straight out of Bensonhurst in that clip?

I mean, what is that? an affect? Like Clinton's bubba routine?

And furthermore, IDGAF and will absolutely die on the hill of insulting my fishing buddies with whatever I want.

*probably not the N word, but everything else.

I find it interesting that some of the same people that are going so far out of your way to defend this cafone. Are the same people that got mad at people saying rude things to Sarah Sanders while she was trying to eat. Which I agreed she should have been left alone to have her dinner. But I guess it is different when they are not members of the Trump admin.

I'm with you on that. Leave people alone, regardless of who they are.

@sherb said:
    And furthermore, IDGAF and will absolutely die on the hill of insulting my fishing buddies with whatever I want.

*probably not the N word, but everything else.

That guy is not Cuomo's buddy.

@sherb said:
    Hey Guinea. . . :)

Why does the normally staid and Genteel Cuomo sound like a guido straight out of Bensonhurst in that clip?

I mean, what is that? an affect? Like Clinton's bubba routine?

Get me in the right mood, I sound the same.

Oh for Fredo's sake.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,915 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #88

@fishingcomic said:
    I find it interesting that some of the same people that are going so far out of your way to defend this cafone. Are the same people that got mad at people saying rude things to Sarah Sanders while she was trying to eat. Which I agreed she should have been left alone to have her dinner. But I guess it is different when they are not members of the Trump admin.

Uhmmm….no.

Nobody here has said that the guy wasn't insulting, rude, and over the line. The question is whether the guy was racist (given that in PC-land skin color no longer matters and ethnicity now equals race).

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,418 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #91

@Steven said:

The question is whether the guy was racist (given that in PC-land skin color no longer matters and ethnicity now equals race).

First I can't believe the amount of energy you guys are putting into this stupidity. But ydfuq does that even matter sooooo dam much to you? Why must it not be about Cuomo ethnicity? Why do you guys get soo excited to the point of drooling over defending an offensive remark. "IT'S NOT RACIST!!!!!!!" at the top of your stupid lungs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.