Don't call him Fredo. . .I guess.

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member

As a Chartered member of the Well Endowed Society---I am offended when someone calls me A Big P_rick :)

Actually I used to tell the ladies---not that big---ya know like a baby
    Ya know 8 lbs 2 oz

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,915 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    Its not a racial slur. Its a movie reference that doubles as an insult. Have we lost our collective minds?

Yes. We have lost our collective minds.

Meanwhile, it seems to be true that Trump Jr. was called "Fredo" by a guest (a Republican no less) on Chris Cuomo's show and he said nothing. Apparently "Fredo" means the weaker, dumb brother except when used against an Italian. Then it becomes racist.

Which begs the question, when did Italians become a race?

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,554 Senior Member

Well now that is a good question. When indeed?

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,205 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #35

@sherb said:
    Well now that is a good question. When indeed?

On that stairwell. We could check the video to determine the exact time for the precise moment, for the historical record.

BTW - If a made American of Italian heritage loan shark, such as the one who lived a few houses down from me when I was growing up, is referred to as "a Mafia Shylock", which ethic group gets first dibs on being insulted? I need some guidance here.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,000 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:

@fishingcomic said:
    Everything and I mean everything people that are different than you say or do, offends you.

That is incorrect. I'm not easily offended.

But I do get amused at stuff that offends people such as flags and statues etc.

Don't confuse offense with amusement.

Your "amusement" more often sounds like whining.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    edited August 2019 #37

@Steven said:

@sherb said:
    Its not a racial slur. Its a movie reference that doubles as an insult. Have we lost our collective minds?

Yes. We have lost our collective minds.

Meanwhile, it seems to be true that Trump Jr. was called "Fredo" by a guest (a Republican no less) on Chris Cuomo's show and he said nothing. Apparently "Fredo" means the weaker, dumb brother except when used against an Italian. Then it becomes racist.

Which begs the question, when did Italians become a race?

If you call a black man a monkey, is it the same as calling a white man the same?

When my Grandfather came to America they were considered a non-white lesser race. Why giving a student loan to a **** was waste of money.

My mother was **** by a white sherriff who told her no one would believe a ****.

Until recently if an Italian American was wealthy, he/she was called Mafia.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Referring to a black man as monkey is the epitome of racism. What you are saying is that someone of his race is less than human...less than the person calling him a monkey. It's saying that whites are superior to blacks.

If someone called me a ****, I wouldn't be screaming racism because I'm white. Anti-Semitism isn't racism. It's bigotry.

Words matter.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,466 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    Your "amusement" more often sounds like whining.

You have bad people reading skills.

@Steven said:
    Referring to a black man as monkey is the epitome of racism. What you are saying is that someone of his race is less than human...less than the person calling him a monkey. It's saying that whites are superior to blacks.

If someone called me a ****, I wouldn't be screaming racism because I'm white. Anti-Semitism isn't racism. It's bigotry.

Words matter.

Weak argument.

@fishingcomic said:

@Steven said:

Words matter.

Weak argument.

You guys just love defending doooshbags.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,510 Senior Member
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,554 Senior Member

"words matter" is a weak argument?

You really don't see a difference between calling someone a monkey and referring to someone as "Fredo?"

@fishingcomic said:

@Steven said:

Words matter.

Weak argument.

Well, best I got. Calling Chris Cuomo a pssy, might be offensive to pssies.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,418 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

I'm going to have to defend Comic here

edited August 2019 #46

@jbilly said:

@fishingcomic said:

I'm going to have to defend Comic here

Never mind

edited August 2019 #47

@sherb said:
    "words matter" is a weak argument?

You really don't see a difference between calling someone a monkey and referring to someone as "Fredo?"

Do you not see the difference between calling a non-Italian a Fredo and referring to someone who is?

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,418 Senior Member

Dude you walked right into that one

A Fredo is a Fredo, just as a schmuck is a schmuck, a putz a putz, and a stunada a stunada regardless of ethnicity or religion

edited August 2019 #50

Yeah because Fredo is in such common use.

It is funny how criticizing a lobbying organization gets you labled an anti-semite, but you can use any insult you want against the Italian guy.

Get a grip.

edited August 2019 #52

No you guys get a grip. You are stretching all over the planet to defend a dooshnozzle. I am saying it was not unreasonable to assume this was about his ethnicity. What I don't get is why was it necessary for you guys to pick this fight?

@fishingcomic said:
    No you guys get a grip. You are stretching all over the planet to defend a dooshnozzle. I am saying it was not unreasonable to assume this was about his ethnicity. What I don't get is why was it necessary for you guys to pick this fight?

I get where your coming from

When we were young----slander was a basic part of our vocab

But as adults and including a highly ignitable racial/ethnic bubble we currently sit upon

We should refrain from inflammatory trolls

My friends are still @*&$ tho

DON'T shoot the messenger on this one

But I recalled this show "Bizarre" ran weekly with John Byner on National networks
    You may re-call Super Dave Osbourne

Anyway---like the early "All in The Family"--can't see this flyin today
    Think it was the 70's
    PS---no grinnin or your racist

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YT1WV5_TCNE

If it's OK to call a non-Italian Fredo, than we're all good with Pocahontas, amirite?

I just think Pocahontas is stupid and you can only find one example of a non-Italian being called Fredo.

I can only think of three people ever called Fredo:

DT Jr., Cuomo, and John Cazale

I seem to remember a scene in Analyze This, that De Niro (playing a Mafia boss) has a dream in which he's shot. Billy Crystal suggests that De Niro sees himself as Fredo and De Niro loses it.

Pocahontas is freaking brilliant.

I sure hope Joe Biden doesn't suffer from narcolepsy. Sleepy Joe would be racist if he did.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,510 Senior Member

Can I still order Alfredo in an Italian restaurant?

OK. I haven't seen the clip so I can't say in context that ethnicity has nothing to do with it. But "Fredo" long has had the meaning of the dimwitted brother.

I remember that after the Fredo character appeared, a colleague and I who had served together with an Ambassador, as WASP as it is possible to be, and the clueless brother of a competent well known national politician, retroactively nicknamed him Fredo.

But if many Americans of Italian descent take offense I'll concede that it should not be used.

Mmmm...ethnic titles

OK..moving fwd--can't call me

1. Canuck
    2. Mick
    3. Chosen frozen
    4. Late for supper
    5. my **** star name--Studley Hungwell

Another glass o wine or 2 and I'll find something else that may offend me :)

Just kiddin here Comico

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Hell, Comic, I've called you a lot worse Italian slang words. But then again, we're friends and you know I'm joking, so that is different.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.