Serious gun debate.

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 4,140 Senior Member

Can I use sabots in the Hawken style 50 cal? Will a Hawken style 50 cal. Shoot just as accurate as one of the inline muzzleloaders? I haven’t hunted in years and I’ve vowed to pick it up again. All I have for a Muzzlelader is an old Hawken style TCA 50. I’m debating whether I should go ahead and just pick up a cheap inline or not.

Replies

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member
    edited August 6 #2

Depends on the rifle twist re the sabots. It’s probably 1:48 twist which isn’t great for sabots. If it is specifically a sabot gun it will be 1:24 twist and will shoot them fine.

Why not just shoot round balls?

Traditionals are just as accurate as an inline but the range is limited. I dropped the bull elk I got last season at over 100 paces (100+ yards). I practice at the range with it to 100m (range distances are all in meters) and 9/10 shots, at least, are kill shots on the target at that range using the iron sights. The ball drops a little at that range but if you practice it’s predictable. Some of the inlines have the same range as modern rifles.

Are you going to be hunting anywhere you expect to shoot a deer at over 100 yards? From my experience out there it is unlikely.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member

Mike if you've vowed to pick it up again---are we talkin Whitetails?

Have you considered bow hunting?

Have not shot a deer with my rifle for some years now---use a crossbow

Bowhunting gets you up close and personal---sometime I think the bucks can hear my heart beatin

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,140 Senior Member

I remember that elk you shot Mike. I'll be hunting Whitetail at the very top of a steep ridge unless I find a better spot. It's very unlikely I'd ever shoot over 100 in that situation. My biggest worry with round ball is lack of knock down and the deer makes a 200 yard bolt down into the holler. I’d have to get the boat and some snake chaps to get them out.

Bush I just don’t think I want to bow hunt anymore. I did it many years ago and loved it. I’m just not able to devote the time to relearning it all over. Plus the cost. A cross bow sounds much more interesting though. It wasn’t legal without a special permit when I was hunting. Now anyone can use one. I’m strictly interested in venison and not looking for big bucks at all. I’d just a soon photograph a large buck and shoot the doe.

Your quick kill is going to come from a well placed shot on the animal, not (necessarily) the round you’re using.

Mike---I use mechanical broadheads----these are my last 2---shot from 30 yds

They both ran about 80-90 yds (actually they both expired about 10 ft from each other--different years tho)

@bmmike said:
    Your quick kill is going to come from a well placed shot on the animal, not (necessarily) the round you’re using.

I impressed upon my son years ago---make that 1st shot count
    Aim small and miss small

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member

@MikeA said:My biggest worry with round ball is lack of knock down and the deer makes a 200 yard bolt down into the holler.

Slight nitpick here, but there's no such thing as "knock down." Deer fall due to interruptions to the CNS or blood supply, not because the round knocks them over. And each deer can be different. I've shot deer in the heart and had them flop over, and others I've had run 100 yards. Same bullet, same shot through the heart.

I don’t know, a bazooka round would knockdown a deer pretty good.

For the last 20 years I've dedicated almost all my spare time to fishing. I'm here to learn from you jerks. :)

Hey Buff you'll like this story---kinda interrupted that CNS

Some years back
    I was walking thru a pine forest once with my .06
    Had a Red dot for sights

Anyway--come around a corner---this 8 point and I see each other at same time
    He bolts--I throw up my gun
    Wait till he hits my sight---bang

I look up---nothin--I was lookin to see what direction it went--but zilch

Thought---**** I musta missed
    Anyway I walk over to roughly where he was---there he is---stone cold fell in a hole
    fell like a bag of wet cement

Anyway--long story short---skinned and quartered him later
    I had hit him directly in the spine
    it was twisted like no other

That's my CNS story
    I have another moose CNS story---right between the lookers---but that's another story

Mike
    Tim a member here hunts deer as well--think he's in Vermont?
    pretty sure he gets a nice buck every fall

and learning---hard to beat time in the field---scouting--patterns etc

Remember your in their house

and be the best marksman you can
    practice practice---then more practice

Bush I still shoot a lot. Just mostly with PCP and springer air riffles for target practice. It’s quite a challenge with the springers due to the double recoil but I can hit a 2” target at 60 yards without a rest pretty consistently with my springer. The PCP is a tack driver but I don’t have enough room to really stretch it out. Air riffles are addictive to play with BTW. I feel pretty comfortable with shot placement. I’m concerned more about equipment issues and proper processing after the kill and what not.

edited August 6 #14

Your OK to gut one?
    and processing depends on your weather

Here it's usually cool/cold
    we quarter and hang ours for 3-4 days on average--in a shed

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,073 Senior Member

@Bushart said:
    Mike
    Tim a member here hunts deer as well--think he's in Vermont?

You referring to tim_s? I believe he is in Maine.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Yeah Maine...definitely Maine...that's the ticket :)

edited August 7 #17

Two shots with the hawken at 60 yards today with sabots. What a sweet rifle to shoot. Money might be better spent on some form of archery rather than an inline.

Mike how do you carry it when hunting? Cap on and loaded?

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Mike's elk burgers in YNP were g-d a m n excellent. That's all I got. Thanks again, Mike!

I have some guys I work with peripherally and hope to once again score some elk/deer venison from them.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Mike,
    Did Vince ever get his pictures I sent him?

Sorry guys, thread hijack over.

No idea, Shawn.

I was drawn for my first choice Antelope tag yesterday. So now I have antelope, bighorn, deer and elk tags to fill. With the falconry on top, I am in for a busy autumn/winter.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,576 Senior Member

My 50 caliber Hawking kit gun is one of the best shooters I've ever seen. Just dumb luck because my brother bought the same exact kit at the same time and his was horrible.
    I built custom mini ball molds and they shoot fantastic.
    In turkey shoots, I used to have to shoot with the modern boys because I put peep sights on it. I never lost in the 8 or 10 that I shot in.
    So it depends on the barrel, period.

When hunting I carried loaded, but never capped. Cap it before shooting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.