Not for fats or cripples or olds.

bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

Or people afraid of grizzle bearts.

I only catch the REALLY big ones. (Big in this lake would be 12” — I didn’t get any of those whoppers)

Replies

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    edited August 4 #2

Very nice. I am actually visiting your area (I think). Floated the Blackfoot a few days ago-got this nice Brownie. Also cuties and bows. Also went into the Bob-on horseback-and caught cuties in Pyramid Lake.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

Sweet!

Thats not really my area tho, I’m a good 3+ hours from there.

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,899 Senior Member

Cool, that is sort of my area. I think the Blackfoot is one of the prettiest rivers in Montana.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,140 Senior Member

Sometimes just looking at an image stirs imagination and almost takes your breath away just thinking about exploring the place. That just happened. Great job capturing the magic.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,373 Senior Member

Looking at these pictures gives you a chance to look at the world from a different perspective. ;)

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Today’s foray into the grizzle beart infested wasteland took me to a lake where the fish are larger. It’s a fair bit further walk, but it isn’t as steep.

I caught a couple fish around 18”, one 20+”, and some small ones. I caught some small grayling, also, and missed a pretty nice grayling. No grayling pictures because they were dinks and I’ve caught plenty dink grayling in the past.

Also, a frog and some tacos.

edited August 26 #8

I know you people don’t like fishing reports, but don’t worry this may be my last.

I’ve been fishing more alpine lakes the past few weeks. More of the same, the expected, so nothing really new to report. I am up to 11 alpine lakes this summer (fished, I’ve walked to a few more with the mongrels — don’t fish with them up in the mountains), the 11th this past Saturday

These outings don’t always work out in terms of the fishing, but they are always an adventure. 

My plan was to walk up to a lake I have fished in the past, cross a saddle in the mountains behind the lake, then drop into another drainage to fish a different lake, one reputed to have golden trout pushing 20”. Two non-fishing suckers (who like hiking) decided to join me. 

The hike, I figured, was about 6.5 miles each way. About 5 miles with 4k elevation gain to the first lake, then 1k feet up past that to above 10k elevation over a saddle with 700 ft down to the lake I wanted to fish.

Easy day hike. 

The walk ended up being about expected, but with a lot of roundabout trying the pair of saddles - after a ton of bouldering and then loose talus because, you know, no trail - then finally finding a way down that didn’t necessarily need serious climbing gear to descend (and ascend later). It probably did, but there were no fatalities so not definitely. It was an absolutely treacherous descent/ascent that I would not have attempted solo (as I most usually am) — not because the others could really aid in rescue, but because there was at least another there to report on the location of the body should something have gone wrong. We were the only people at the lake and there was no sign of use (fire rings and such) - such solitude isn’t always easy to come by in the Absaroka-Beartioths even at difficult-to-reach destinations.

Easy day hike, like I said.  

I didn’t catch any fish. I didn’t see any fish, either, aside from two rises, an hour apart, from a large, probably the same, fish who I could not entice. No cruisers, no dinks rising, no nothing. Tried all the usual tactics that typically catch me fish in the mountain lakes and some unusuals (unusual for me, such as watching a bobber with nymphs beneath) and naught doing. 

This was a good adventure, the best of the season, even without fish. The fish are always a bonus, but the adventure is the reason. I will go back to this lake next year because I am curious - however, I will not take the route I took yesterday. Rather, I will walk a different (grizzly-infested) drainage with full kit to spend the weekend at the lake — I think it’s around 12+ miles each way from the other trailhead. 

Hunting starts next week. Falcons, game birds - deer and elk. Plus I have an antelope tag this season.  Sheep tag, too, for the Beartooth unlimited (needle in a haystack hunting) which I am, unfortunately, not going to pursue this season (antelope tag put the final nail in that coffin — will do next season).

So here’s to the end of a great summer!

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,576 Senior Member

Mike, I love your fishing reports except for the fact that they make me miss the days when I could hike 10 or 15 miles in a day. I refuse to sleep on the ground any more, so the hikes have to be shorter.

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,073 Senior Member

I can't decide if I like your photos, or they suck, cause I'm stuck in Texas.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,038 Senior Member

Keep'em coming. Nice stories and great photos.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Mike, love your stories and pics (hunting and fishing)! That talus slope looks super sketchy. Definitely not for cripples!

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

Looks and sounds great! You’re lucky to have access to that territory. Good on ya for making the effort to get in there. Pretty gunga.

Haha, thanks guys. I meant it might be my last of the season, not forever, since it’s transitioning into hunting time.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,140 Senior Member

Awesome as always. These images have a Zeiss look. Are you by chance using a Zeiss lens?

Just an iPhone.

That talus wasn’t too sketch, it was coming down the other side that wasn’t exactly what I’d call fun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.